Hunting by Game/Technique > Waterfowl Hunting
Gauge and chamber
(1/3) > >>
Bobman:
I was considering getting a new 12-gauge, 3-inch chamber just for waterfowl and turkey and was wondering if it was worth it.  I currently have a Winchester Model 1200 12-gauge, 2 3/4" chamber that I have been using for years.  I usually shoot steel and almost never take shots at more than about 30 yards.  Usually hunt dabbling ducks (mostly Mallards, teal and woodies) and occasionally take geese while duck hunting.  What do you all think and what do you use?
USMC130FE:
870 express magnum 3 1/2"  wonderful on Geese and Turkeys  ;D and doesn't kick that much unless you are shooting a pattern target  :o
BuckShotJon:
You have a good gun now as you know. Fine for ducks all day, geese a little tougher.

I personally use a Remington 870 Super Mag 3 1/2 inch gun, 12 gauge.

At this time I still use Kent Faststeel BB. It is the best for steel out of my gun.

In the near future I will be using solely hevi-shot. Hevi-shot simply is the best shot on the market now. Changing over my reloader to bring the cost down.

Jon
Coldfeet:
For what it is worth I have 3guns for waterfowl. A Smith and Wesson 1000 with a 30 inch barrel a Winchester 1200 and my old reliable Mossberg 500. All are will take a 3" shell and although I'm not the best shot in the world found that the 3" is good for me. If you are only takeing shots around 30 yds a 2 3/4 should be fine as long as you can hit what you are shooting at. When we were able to shoot lead shot thats all I used was the 2 3/4 with great results because it was a faster shot than the 3" With the steel we found that a few more pellets helped get a cleaner kill. I will try the heavy shot this year and see what it does. Just see if you can get a few shell from friends and patern your gun that is more important than listening to what others say. The results of paterning will tell you what is best for your conditions. I found that useing a modified choke works best for the steel now I need to patern it for heavy shot.
Cold Feet
RGFIXIT:
Coldfeet is absolutely correct....whatever you shoot....pattern your gun with different loads to find the best for you.

RG
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version