Hunting by Game/Technique > Waterfowl Hunting
What's your favored shell?
(1/2) > >>
venisonman:
Since we can't use lead, I've been using steel shot. Now with all the alternatives ( and usually expensive), What is everybody using?

I'm thinking of switching to Hevi-shot, but have heard good things about the others as well.
Coldfeet:
LEAD
But sense we can't use it anymore Ive have used steel. I bought a couple cases of Actives and used them with a lot of luck. But now they have dwindled down to a couple boxes and its back to the drawing board. The next move will be to try everything that is out their untill I find one that works for my type of hunting. Bismuth or Tungston shot has me interested and at times the heaver the better. I guess buying everything out their till I find one is the only way to go. I am curious how the tungston will be on abuseing the barrels if they scratch because of the hardness of the tungston or if you have to use a more open choke because the shot will not deform like others. Anyone else have any input to this.
Cold Feet
RGFIXIT:
From all the industry propaganda I've read and what the sales reps say, Tungston is not really harder or more abrasive than steel. It has a greater specific gravity and is heaver than steel.

I haven't seen any  barrels come across the bench that were damaged by the switch from steel.

For what it's worth :-\
RG
bobberstop:
Ive had good results with bismuth.
USMC130FE:
My favorite is the empty shell case on the ground and me walking out to do a retreive.   ;D ;D  I love the hitting power of "Hevi-shot", but to be fair I have yet to try the Bismuth so I cannot comment on them.

Steve
Navigation
Message Index
Next page

Go to full version