Author Topic: weird things found/seen while hunting  (Read 52557 times)

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
weird things found/seen while hunting
« on: Oct 06, 2005, 10:32:45 AM »
What are some of the weird things you have found or seen while hunting? I once found an intact toliet bowl with seat a good mile in the woods from the nearest road. Full cans of beer spaced out every 20 yards along a wood road (I figure some poor hunter did it to find his way home). Also one of the weirdest things I saw was a couple of years ago the yahoos that hunt on the land below our farm had a young kid put a deer drive on to them by playing his trumpet(not very well I might add) and walking along the hedge rows. He did manage to scare 5 does up onto our land.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline tucker

• 6 Pointer
  • What are you lookin at?
Re: weird things found/seen while hunting
« Reply #1 on: Oct 06, 2005, 10:38:17 AM »
my backtag which i had lost the week earlier.  I searched all through the thick stuff I was crawling through and couldn't find it.  went and bought a replacement and while walking through the open field to the thick stuff i found it lying on the ground.  I think the deer were playing a joke on me.

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 06, 2005, 10:59:23 AM »
This doesn't completely apply, but last year on  opening day of duck season I pulled up on the first duck of the day and pulled the trigger. Nothing happened. I sat there all day while my buddies hunted and had fun and tried to fix my gun. Turned out the night before when I took it apart to clean it OUTSIDE IN THE LAWN, I sprayed Rem action cleaner through the trigger assembly and blew a trigger pin out. Well, after the hunt we went home to clean the birds and party so I went to work and got a big magnet from the tool room and started combing the yard, and actually found the pin in the grass. I was pretty pumped.

A year earlier I was hunting deer on opening day. I got a really nice doe, but when I went to tag her my whole backtag was gone. Not good. I was lucky enough to have my cell phone on me, so I called home and explained the situation to my mother who happened to be there. She asked what the tag looked like and when I told her she said "well, Lexi(my dog) was carrying something that looked just like that in the woods this morning on our walk" Good luck finding that right? Well, she took my dog through that patch of woods again telling her to "go get it" and "bring it to grandma" and all that crap. Sure enough, Lexi went off into the woods away from the trail and came back with my tag in her mouth. My mom had to drive it all the way out to the farm I was hunting, but I was pretty happy. I'm sure there are more, but those just popped into my head
Adam

Offline shrub

• 6 Pointer
  • out looking for the big one
« Reply #3 on: Oct 06, 2005, 12:33:25 PM »
Whats a Back Tag?
I didnt reach the top of the food chain to be a vegatarin!!!!

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 06, 2005, 12:46:51 PM »
LOL. I suppose some states don't require them. A backtag is exactly what it sounds like ;) Here in WI we are required to wear a tag on our back (for deer hunting only) with a number and all our personal information such as height, weight d.o.b. etc. Basically so if you do something stupid, and someone sees you, they can record your # and call you in to the DNR. It has to be visible at all times, so if you have to throw on another coat(or take one off) you're screwed and have to move your tag to that coat. :-\
Adam

Offline tucker

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 06, 2005, 01:02:24 PM »
If you ever loose one you are paranoid about loosing it again.  It just uses a big safety pin to attach and can get snagged on branches and wire and come off without you even knowing.  I find myself always checking to see if I have it on.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 06, 2005, 02:04:12 PM »
Another weird thing I saw. I watched a flock of turkeys come into a cut cornfield last fall and start beating up and fighting the flock of canadian geese that were in there feeding. I never knew turkeys could be so vicious. They drove the flock of geese out of the field.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline devil-man

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Oct 07, 2005, 11:59:06 AM »
I once found an old car in the middle of the woods, about a mile from any road.
I have no idea how or when it got there...
It's easier to escape from a chain gang than a food chain...

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Oct 07, 2005, 06:44:32 PM »
i was out in the middle of nowhere hunting and i found this ewok village. it was like a kids fort but had walkways going from hut to hut, stick roofs the whole nine. you knew teenagers built it but it haddent been used in years. it was just weird though it was about 3 miles from any road? along way to travel for kids to party or whatever they were doing there?

im still waiting to find that lost playboy bunny out in the middle of the woods ;D

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Oct 09, 2005, 02:08:15 AM »
That ewok village sounds pretty cool, I have to laugh, it just sounds so fake/and real.  It sounds like something I wanted to create in the woods when I was a kid.  Pikeguy where in WI are you from.  I hate back tags too.  they are pointless really.  just another way to get a fine, as if someone will remember a huge number like that anyway.  Anyways, I just hate watching those alien movies, like signs and stuff, just before I go coon hunting or something in the dark, walking in cornfields at night and stuff, it just bugs me, and then you get that your being followed feeling.  I am fine at night, I just don't like watching a movie right before I go out.  I am planning on scaring my coon hunting buddies by recording the alien language on the movie signs, kneeling down and losing them in the corn field and playing it on a tape recorder some night when we are hunting in a corn field.  I can't wait to try it. 

MASTERGUIDE

Offline devil-man

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 2005, 08:35:44 AM »
I hate back tags too.  they are pointless really.  just another way to get a fine, as if someone will remember a huge number like that anyway.

I have lost my backtag twice, but here in NY they replace it for free. No big deal.
You have to wear it when hunting any game.
When I'm fishing very popular spots (like elbow to elbow salmon fishing) I'll wear it, too.
It probably prevents some hassles...
It's easier to escape from a chain gang than a food chain...

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Oct 10, 2005, 11:00:56 AM »
Masterguide; I'm in Pepin. It's right on the Mississippi, about an hour north of LaCrosse and an hour west of Eau Claire. Where are you in WI?
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2005, 11:42:28 AM by Pikeguy »
Adam

Offline SDpheasant

• Forked
« Reply #12 on: Oct 10, 2005, 02:57:23 PM »
last weekend in the middle of this field we were pheasant hunting we found 2 old cars from maybe 40's-50's ;D a lil rusty

Offline tucker

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Oct 10, 2005, 03:20:10 PM »
I was walking in from turkey hunting saturday and I saw a deer standing about 40 yards out.  I was in full camo but it was looking right at me.  I was in the middle of a pasture so no place to hide to watch it.  I started to just walk off and it walked after me.  I stopped again and it walked in to about 10 yards from me.  If someone saw me from the road it would have been a wierd site.  It had 7 points and was a good deer for around here.  It eventually walked off and made me feel real good about my camo.  It also had a huge clump of burdocks stuck between its eyes.

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Oct 10, 2005, 04:23:31 PM »
Pikeguy, chippewa falls eau claire area, I do a little hunting down that way near fairchild.

MASTERGUIDE

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal