Author Topic: I can't believe no one has hunting stories to tell!  (Read 11272 times)

Offline HuntinFool

• 6 Pointer
Re: I can't believe no one has hunting stories to tell!
« Reply #15 on: Apr 29, 2008, 01:50:04 PM »
Last year my pal and I drew mountain goat tags....we climbed up a 7000 foot peak to get a crack at em....and my pal wounded his (unknown to us) we split and i went to dress mine and him to his... we left our guns and other gear where we shot from....an hour later im packin my load and i get below where he is....and i tihnk my eyes are playin with me so i bust out my binos to get a better look and good god, all i can see is goat and pal fightin in a box canyon....he had my buddy pinned up on a rock and my buddy had a big rock, dropped it on his head a bunch of times and the goat kept tryin to gore him with his horns and tryin to hoof him down....then they went out of sight....im waitin at the rendezous spot and he finally shows up like....2 hours later....he said he had shot thru the guts, nicked the liver and broke some ribs but thats it....just too far back for a good vitals shot....and goats are without a doubt the toughest critter to kill....he said he finally managed to grab it by the horns, push its head down and stab it thru the back of the neck....he stabbed it some 20 plus times he said.....got beat up a bit himself.....normally if you wound a goat, they kamikaze jump off the cliffs....true story....there nuts..
Ive Hunted Almost Everyday Of My Life, The Rest Have Been Wasted

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 10:45:26 AM »
HMMMMM. saw a new show on The History Channel called "Tougher in Alaska" guess they ain't kidding....thats good stuff there
Fight crime. Shoot back!

Offline HuntinFool

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 10:38:43 PM »
oh man they got this new series called "The Alaska Experiment"....it is hilarious....at least to my buddies and I....they sent out 3 groups of people to 3 different rural locales in alaska.....2 to the wrangell mountains region and i think one group maybe 2 to Icy Bay near yakutat....these people have to survive for 3 months between august and i think november-december and only have the simplest tools and have to get their own wood and feed....live off the land basically....theyve never fired guns, seen wild bears, caught wild salmon, or had to live in little cabins and wall tents....and none have ever been to this kind of climate or terrain before....We think its a riot...the people are just so ignorant and clueless its unbelievable....one couple in icy bay couldnt figure out how to properly use a spinning rod to catch salmon with, so they jump in the water and do a poor job of catchin salmon (which are pretty much spawned out and near death) with thier hands.....then they ruined 7 cans of thier catch in the pressure cooker because they couldnt do it right.. these people only been their like 10 days and already lost mass weight....its almost pathetic really....tune in for it on the discovery channel i think it is.....they even get to hunt moose and mountain goats....

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2008, 10:55:16 AM »
I'd give my leftey to be on that show!  Those people are really sad though.  I'd be willing to bet most have never left a big city before.  The worst part is they don't even understand let alone appreciate the opportunities they have been given.

Offline HuntinFool

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2008, 11:36:16 PM »
yea thats true.....i dont know any hunter or fisherman who doesnt dream of seeing alaskas wild side....or who at least want to do it again....i know ill never leave....I was born and raised here and to me there isnt anywhere else worth living....I like to travel thru other states but i couldnt imagine living in a place where the population is more than 2 people per square mile! need my elbow space. ive been to seattle a few times and all i wanna do is puke!...anchorage is the biggest city in the state and theres only 260,000 people in it....in a state that has 550,000 square miles of land.....theres only 700,000 people....unfortunately...theres is roughly less than 1700 miles of road....we only have 7 interstate highways. so access is extremely limited to bush plane, boat, and your boots.

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 10:23:28 AM »
I have a question for you Alaskan folks, how many people come to Alaska thinking they have found their personal nirvana. only to move away because they can't take it? I ask because I have often heard people say they want to move there but they never seem to leave. In my home state of Maine people often say they wish to move to the northern part of the state where it's  sparsely populated and heavily forested, but they usually don't go or if they do they move back once they find that a trip to Wal-Mart requires a weeks planning and a day's travel and services they are used to, (public, water, sewer etc ) are not available and poverty is a way of life for many that live there
Fight crime. Shoot back!

Offline HuntinFool

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2008, 02:23:58 AM »
theres a simple answer for that SLT, there a bunch of PANSIES! alaska, the real alaska that is, exluding the city of anchorage, is only for real folks, the ones who are born with guts and the true born love and respect for adventure and mother nature....sorry to say but its true, the only people i find worth talkin too are the ones who love it here and are happy to call it home, and plenty of them werent born here mind you...poverty is not a way of life here, as you may expect,  though in many rural places in the contiguous US it is... there are less trailer parks in the state of alaska than there are in any given city down there...any i assure you 9 out of 10 families are plenty happy with it...a double wide trailer in mid winter alaska is by far and wide more energy efficient than any house....i dont how your family lives, nor am i to be the judge of it, just as you are not to the judge of anyone else or how they live...here its just more conventional....it costs less to heat a 3 or 4 bedroom mobile home than a 3 or 4 bedroom house.....especially in the bush, where heating oil is $8-9 a gallon, milk is $7 a gallon, 1 dozen eggs is $6 or more , a standard loaf of wonder bread is $3-4 and up and everything else just isnt worth buying....a pack of cigarettes in just about any bush village is around $7...even in anchorage its the same price for cigarettes....the folks here arent living in poverty.....in thier minds, their gettin by....and thats the only thing that matters.....especially for us folks who really deserve to draw the game tags instead of the stupid rich a-holes who dont need the meat....the majority of us dont hunt for sport, we hunt and fish to survive the winter and feed our families and those friends who are unable or less fortunate than us...so trust me, I am more than happy to see those wistful dreamers leave and go away from my home than anyone is.....the less people who invade this place, the better... alot of them dont deserve to be here,ive met plenty of folks who just plain oughta not be allowed to come here, hopefully none of you guys on here.....to harvest our game or our fish, trash our waters and land....but hey Todays America is all about immigration and exploitation right?

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
« Reply #22 on: Aug 30, 2008, 06:17:40 AM »
Great stories

Offline walleyesteve

• Nubbie
« Reply #23 on: Oct 27, 2008, 07:54:26 AM »
Ok here's another story. I was turkey hunting one fall day many years ago. It was early morning and I was sitting on the ground with my back against the tree. Being so quiet and warm out I fell asleep. I woke up when I felt something wet touch my face. I looked and there was a big doe sniffing me and behind her were two yearlings. She immediately let out a snort and took off withher two young ones trailing her. Not the first time I've fallen asleep only to wake up with a deer near by me.
As a young hunter, I was 15 at the time.I was Bow- Sleep'n, not Hunt'n. I was awakened buy the "wet nose in the face" too. Twin fawns within inches! I gave them there lesson for the day! I holler "Hey" and they both went straight up like bottle rockets! At least 5 ft, amazing how high they can jump!
Later, Walleye Steve

Offline knurren

• 6 Pointer
  • New Hampshire's alright if you like fighting!
« Reply #24 on: Oct 27, 2008, 08:25:37 AM »
I actually was considered during the casting process as they are shooting a sequal to the Alaskan Experiment.  I just didn't make it on the show.  This year they're doing it a little differently... instead of having to stay in one place, they have a group of people that are going to actually travel and survive together as part of one big team.

I would have loved to have been on the show.  Looks like a lot of fun.

Offline Hunta

• 6 Pointer
  • The one that didn't get away. 10pt 209lbs.
« Reply #25 on: Oct 31, 2008, 12:09:26 PM »
Good Story. The biggest buck of my life so far.

One Thanksgiving morning I take my 13 year old son out hunting for the first time in his life. On the way to where we hunt I see this huge 10 pointed standing on a lawn in front of a house I hunt behind. He was in awe that he finally saw a deer but it was still 1 1/2 hours before legal shooting time. We talked for a few minutes and he said wouldn't it be great to see him later in the day and get a shot. Then of course like a Father and Son conversation and his competitiveness, he said you would probably miss. Anyway we walked into the area I sit, in the pitch dark. I mean new moon dark where you can just barely make out your hand in front of you. He followed me all the way in and once we got settled he turned to me and said your nuts Dad. I can't see the end of my nose it's so dark. We waited for about and hour and finally saw a few deer walk right by the stand. I had a doe permit but had the rest of the week to hunt so I passed. He again called me crazy and said what the hell are you waiting for. A few minutes after he said that, I turned to the right to see antlers coming through the area they traveled. Sure enough it's the ten pointer. Hunting with a 30-30 I waited until he got into a lane and let go. After I shot, this deer runs full bore back towards where he came from. I mean long strides, running wide open. I first thought to myself I missed and my son will never let me live it down. As it's running heading into the thicket it came from, bang head first right into a huge hardwood tree in front of us. My son looks at me laughing hysterically, said you missed and he killed himself by breaking his neck trying to get away. We wait 10 minutes and I can see this deer still laying motionless. He finally talks me into going to look at him. We walked up with gun in hand waiting for him to jump and run. Once I came to the conclusion this thing was dead I proceed to find a bullet hole. I found the entrance hole but no exit hole and very little blood and didn't inform him of my findings To this day he still thinks I missed and was one of the luckiest hunters around. I probably will never tell him the truth.
« Last Edit: Oct 31, 2008, 12:12:08 PM by Hunta »
Bring on expanded season 2011

Offline avhnt9365

• Spiked
« Reply #26 on: Oct 31, 2008, 02:35:49 PM »
A few years ago, shotgun season here in New York, it was night watch and my cousin was sitting in what we call the Tajmahal. Huge treestand in the crotch of a maple. Well its getting dark and I was supposed to pick him up on my way back. I usually leave my stand right before last light, that way if I see something on my walk back to camp, I have a chance. Well I get to the Taj and there sits Kevin. Didnt hear me coming I assume. So I whisper up to him, "Hey Kev, You see anything?", no response. HEY KEVIN YOU AWAKE? Nothing. Ha Ha I'll get him. So I pick a tree about thirty yards away, knowing nobody is over there cause is the place I came from, I decide to wake his sorry butt up. BOOOOM, that ole' 870 with a 3"mag woke em up. That was the most scared I had ever seen him. He got an ear full back at camp for falling asleep. Now I wouldnt dare do it to him, he has been to Iraq two times for four years and has shell shock  :'( and would shoot me.

upstatehunter

« Reply #27 on: Nov 27, 2008, 06:26:42 PM »
This one still makes the rounds every year at camp. My brother is on watch and I hear him shoot. I've hunted with him all my life and can count on two fingers his misses. I had jumped a few deer and was tracking in the snow to him. I see they turned about 75 yards in front of him and go to his left which is Tough on him as he shoots left handed. I left the tracks and go over to him, asking where is it?. He said don't know, I shot and he just kept going behind the doe's. We started walking up thelog road he was standing on and there was this large log down across it. (about where he shot he said) As he swung his leg over the log this four point comes up right between his legs. I was about four feet behind him and I swear his feet were two feet off the ground. He was trying to get his rifle up,yeah right, try to shoot directly between your legs. So he tries to pull his pistol, as the deer keeps trying to get up, his rifle goes flying about ten feet away, and I'm ducking thinking it was going to go off. In his haste to pull the pistol, he grabbed the holster strap. He said he thought very quickly, screw it and fired right through the holster.
He hit the buck back a little and it was in mid air going over the log angling across the road. Must have just dropped on the other side and lay-ed right up against it. Being only 5'8" and the log being over three feet he was going to have to sit on it and swing his legs over and never saw it. I laughed after it was over until I thought i would pee my pants. We still call him cowboy.
Now he either goes around a log or stops and looks over. I scored him 88 for his ride, not sure it was 8 seconds but gave him a score on sheer difficulty.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal