Author Topic: First Buck  (Read 5237 times)

Offline bencrawf

• Nubbie
  • I wana hunt!!
First Buck
« on: Feb 24, 2007, 12:56:15 PM »
Its not the biggest thing in the woods but after hunting with my cousin for two years and not getting a deer this was a nice first deer.  It was opening day of fire arms and I was just praying that my cousin or I would at least see something.  We had both started out knowing nothing about hunting and now we are getting a lot better all the time and have been able to teach my father and brothers some of the tricks we have learned the hard way.  Back to the sublect.  The buck was a seven pointer and supplied me with a lot of great summer sausage, jerky, and other meat.  I fell in love with the sport of hunting and love it more and more with each memory made.  It is amazing the stuff you see and experience while out.  Even if i don't get anything I still love the nature that god has made for all of us to experience.

Offline brett

• Spiked
Re: First Buck
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2007, 02:18:57 PM »
So how lomg did you wait before seeing the buck come out?  How did you feel on ce you shot him?  How far did he go after getting shot?  What is the whole story behind the hunt leading up to him coming out and you shooting him?
I love to hunt!

Offline bencrawf

• Nubbie
  • I wana hunt!!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2007, 03:01:11 PM »
So how lomg did you wait before seeing the buck come out?  How did you feel on ce you shot him?  How far did he go after getting shot?  What is the whole story behind the hunt leading up to him coming out and you shooting him?

Well actually my cousin saw and shot at him first.  He missed him by a mile as far as I could tell.  My cousin was on the other side of the particular field we were on.  After I heard my cousin shoot I just knew he was going to be calling me and asking me to meet him and help him out, but he didn't.  I guess he was hoping I didn't hear him.  Then I saw the buck.  He walked within twenty yards of me.  I was so excited.  He went from a run to stopping broad side right in front of me.  I was only sitting down for 20 to 30 minutes before I saw and took a shot.  I was using my muzzleloader, so once I shot I couldn't see through the smoke for a little while.  I was so afraid that I missed, but once the smoke cleared I saw the antlers sticking up.  I had dropped him where he stood.  I came up on him and he wasn't completely dead yet.  So all the sudden I saw my cousin come out of the woods.  He was yelling and I was trying to tell him to shut up, but he did once he saw I got the one that got away from him.  lol.  The deer died soonly after the shot, and I had my first deer and buck with one good shot from my wonderful muzzleloader:)

Offline brett

• Spiked
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2007, 03:05:58 PM »
It looks like a great deer, good job on the hunt! :)
I love to hunt!

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Aug 23, 2007, 10:37:33 AM »
sounds like a hunting story to be proud of. Close is good, you weren't taking a long shot, nice deer, clean kill, even if you didn't have to work too hard to get him with lots of time spent stalking, he didn't see you, sounds like you did it right. ;D

Offline Got Deer?

• Spiked
« Reply #5 on: Sep 19, 2007, 06:14:05 PM »
size doesnt matter well in hunting that is  ;D ;D it is the memorys made

Offline saranacjoe

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Sep 23, 2007, 10:22:50 AM »
awesome first buck you should be proud i would. always cherish the memory of the woods and the times you have with family hunting togeather.
" Follow your passion and success will follow you"-Arthur Buddhold

Offline griff

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2007, 04:27:58 PM »
Congratulations on your first buck!!!!!!!

Offline XII Outdoors

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Sep 28, 2007, 06:09:35 PM »
Congrats, the memories and appreciation of the outdoors is what it is all about
when did you finally stop shaking

Offline joe snag

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • I will Stand and Salute the American Flag always
« Reply #9 on: Aug 30, 2008, 06:16:47 AM »
you never forget your first buck-nov. 4th 1972

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Sep 17, 2008, 10:23:30 AM »
you never forget your first buck-nov. 4th 1972

I agree. I had shot several does in the previous years but first buck, oh yeah. Opening day, Oct 28th, 1989. Took a stand at the back of an alfalfa field watching a well used deer run and promptly fell asleep. A dry branch breaking woke me up. My first thought in my sleep fogged brain was that the cows were out and I'd better chase 'em back to the pasture before they got shot. I started to stand up when I saw him. Standing , looking into the field about 50 yards away. I took a quick shot before he could change his mind and MISSED!!!! He never moved !! Now I had to take a minute to clear the sleep from my eyes and confirm it was a deer. Why didn't he run after the shot?  Well it was a deer and because he didn't run after the first shot I felt it was my duty to remove the stupid ones from the gene pool. The second shot drilled him and I had my first rack buck. Not huge, 6 points about 150 lbs but it looked like a Boone and Crocket to me.
Fight crime. Shoot back!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal