MHF US Northeast > Hunting New Jersey

Finally finished my 30-30

(1/3) > >>

LoneWolf:

I had always wanted to set up my Marlin 336 (30-30) in a manner that best suited me. First I prefer a peep sight and a fiber optic up front. So I installed a Skinner winged peep on the rear. On the front I installed a Marbles orange fiber optic sight.
The Marlin is accurate (within a 6" circle) out to 100 yards using the Hornady LeverEvolution .. it's just what my rifle prefers. After shooting it at the range in February of last year I noticed the loop lever was too small for gloves. I didn't want the large loop when I'm bare handed. I went with a medium loop lever made by RPP. It was just the right size for me. While I was doing that I had ordered and installed (at the same time) the RPP lightweight loading gate which lightened the tension by about 50%.
Next I lightened the trigger pull which was 8 lbs 12 oz. and I now have it at 5 lbs 6 oz..
The last thing I have done is to finally get a synthetic stock for it. RPP just came out with theirs about 2 weeks ago. As far as I know the only one available at this time. It took about an hour to install but so far I like it. I dropped a little over a 1/2 pound off the weight (10 oz exactly) and it feels nice. It also has the M-Lok system in the forward stock.

Here's a picture :

aquaassassin:
Nice work! Is that a Pre crossbolt safety or did you do the delete?

LoneWolf:

--- Quote from: aquaassassin on Oct 12, 2019, 07:13:55 PM ---Nice work! Is that a Pre crossbolt safety or did you do the delete?

--- End quote ---

Thanks and it has the crossbolt safety. I originally removed it and installed the delete since it has the half cock safety. Then while speaking with a few friends, one law enforcement, I found that if any kind of accident or anything should happen not even relating to the cb safety I can, and here most likely, be held liable. I just played it safe and re installed it.
The half cock has been the safety for probably 100 years or so. I grew up using the half cock safety. Go and get politicians and lawyers involved ! >:(

aquaassassin:
Yep you got that right! Was just curious, I only buy pre 83’ just because I dislike the crossbolt so much. However I did have a delete on my guide gun since those were made after the change.

Anyhow, gun looks great, I’m a walnut kind of guy so I haven’t warmed up to the stock but I get it. Everything else I love, nice work and congrats!

LoneWolf:

I too love the walnut stock and I have it put away for now. I'm just getting older (approaching 59) , bad back and torn rotator cuff. I thought if I could cut some weight off the rifle by using this stock and a light weight sling (Butler Creek Nylon) it would add up especially carrying it for hours in the woods.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version