Author Topic: NEWCOMER to DUCK HUNTING  (Read 10016 times)

Offline Rebelfisher

• 6 Pointer
  • Kill Many Things!!
NEWCOMER to DUCK HUNTING
« on: Jan 27, 2013, 10:44:36 AM »
hey guys..Ive been big and small game hunting my entire life in Pennsylvania...but this past weekend I went on a duck and goose hunt in maryland and now im hooked! Our guide was a great caller and was very knowledgable. Had a blast! I have sufficient equiptment to pursue this except for calls and decoys..and would like to upgrade my shotgun (currently am using my 11-87 turkey gun). If you guys had any tips or pointers on calls and/or decoys  or just about duck hunting in general it would be appreciated!...One other thing...Is duck hunting popular? what I mean...is it as a crowded day as turkey or archery season, or do you find it all to yourselves?
Thanks alot..heres some pics from my hunt...

If its BROWN...Its DOWN!!!      If it FLYS...It DIES!!!

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
Re: NEWCOMER to DUCK HUNTING
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2013, 11:21:10 AM »
Awesome pics, I love goose hunting, but I don't like to eat goose so I don't do it often...what do you do with the it, or how do you cook it...?
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

Offline Rebelfisher

• 6 Pointer
  • Kill Many Things!!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2013, 11:47:59 AM »
got a simple recipe from our guide..he said crockpot with sauerkraut and beer or slice it into jerky...

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2013, 12:08:13 PM »
Glad you had a great trip for MD waterfowl. Congrats on your new addiction. Canadian geese are good for jerky but never liked them anyway else. I will tell you this snow geese are fantastic! My buddy made kabobs with the breast meat wrapped in bacon with jalapenos on the grill. Man was it good.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2013, 02:35:13 PM »

Very nice trip looks like a lot of fun , Great looking pic's

Thanks for sharing them    :) :)

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:18:49 PM »
Awesome man! Best tip is concealment! Make sure your camoed right up. And also get a good call and practice practice practice. I'd suggest spending the money on a good quality call, it might run ya $100+ but well worth the investment in the long run IMO. Do you're scouting nd find some good spots with concentrations of birds, if the birds wanna be there it doesn't take much to have a fun shoot. Find some secret spots  to make your own and you wont have to worry about crowds or other guys beating ya there ;). Hope this helps a little

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:20:17 PM »
$100.00 :o :o :o :o For a call ??? ??? ??? what are you quackers?????

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:22:06 PM »
Missed this one yesterday...  Great job Rebelfisher...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline Spikehorn11

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:52:26 PM »
Nice pics. I have a buddy who is a guide for duck and goose hunts in NY. He says waterfowl is the new deer hunting. Every year he sees more and more people get into it. I got out of it years ago but plan on doing it more this year.

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2013, 10:21:00 PM »
$100.00 :o :o :o :o For a call ??? ??? ??? what are you quackers?????
haha that's a good price too. Most top quality calls will run ya more like $130-$150. Well worth the investment. The difference in sound is absolutely night and day. Also I learned to call on a quality call after a year of complete failure trying to use a cheap call. Easier to learn on because they actually sound like a duck/goose so ya know when you're doing it right  ;). I may be quackers but 150$ is a long term investment in a call that will last me years of muddy, cold abuse  ;)

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2013, 04:04:35 AM »
I'm sure there is big differences in the quality....Just crazy how the hunting and fishing industry works sometimes....Soon as they start plastering stuff on TV the prices go through the roof....Not that a lot of the money doesn't go into the technology of the product.....but items that should be half their price (I could see 50-60 bucks for a good call) Jump like crazy...Just watched a coyote call go from 35.00 in the store to 75.00...all because they were running mass media advertizing of it on the outdoor channel....I know the cost of the thing from a wholesaler....so whose pocket is being lined?  Kind of what has happened to the US industry....make a whole lot on one item...not a whole lot from selling a lot of them...They know that if so and so is using something, people will pay what ever to have what so and so is using....Consumers make the beds they lie in....stop buying the over priced stuff....don't be a sheep and follow the flock to the store.... ;D ;D ;D  Don't let the duck commander make millions assembling calls in a duck blind....LOL

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2013, 05:53:49 AM »
I'm sure there is big differences in the quality....Just crazy how the hunting and fishing industry works sometimes....Soon as they start plastering stuff on TV the prices go through the roof....Not that a lot of the money doesn't go into the technology of the product.....but items that should be half their price (I could see 50-60 bucks for a good call) Jump like crazy...Just watched a coyote call go from 35.00 in the store to 75.00...all because they were running mass media advertizing of it on the outdoor channel....I know the cost of the thing from a wholesaler....so whose pocket is being lined?  Kind of what has happened to the US industry....make a whole lot on one item...not a whole lot from selling a lot of them...They know that if so and so is using something, people will pay what ever to have what so and so is using....Consumers make the beds they lie in....stop buying the over priced stuff....don't be a sheep and follow the flock to the store.... ;D ;D ;D  Don't let the duck commander make millions assembling calls in a duck blind....LOL

Hey, they put them things together in a fine, air-conditioned facility, Jack!
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline Rebelfisher

• 6 Pointer
  • Kill Many Things!!
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2013, 08:52:55 AM »
Awesome man! Best tip is concealment! Make sure your camoed right up. And also get a good call and practice practice practice. I'd suggest spending the money on a good quality call, it might run ya $100+ but well worth the investment in the long run IMO. Do you're scouting nd find some good spots with concentrations of birds, if the birds wanna be there it doesn't take much to have a fun shoot. Find some secret spots  to make your own and you wont have to worry about crowds or other guys beating ya there ;). Hope this helps a little
Thanks a lot seven...that's the sorta tips I'm looking for...should I spend the money on a quality call or get an inferior call for less..I was looking at glyn scobey calls? Any advice there? Also is it worth the price to spend extra on decoys or no? Minimum amount of decays?

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2013, 08:55:51 PM »
I would spend the money on a quality call. Its a one time investment. As opposed to buying a not so good sounding 25$ call every couple yrs because it breaks or you don't like the sound you're getting out of it. I learned the hard way and bought about 5 crappy 25$ calls that I was unhappy with before coughing up the cash for a good one. I run a zink money maker for geese and an Echo for ducks. The echo was only about 50 bucks, the money maker is 160$ new I got one barely used in mint condition on eBay for 80$ (I just sanitized the mouthpiece real good). If i was you id go to cabelas and just test out a bunch of calls, the guys there will point you in the right direction and give you some calling tips. Then once ya figure out which one you are most comfortable with hit the internet and find a good deal on it. As for decoys, it all depends on the situation.  For late season migratory geese we put out 100+ decoys, a mixture of BigFoot full bodies and GHG shells. Ducks I just use GHG hot buy mallards ya can pick them up at dicks for about 40$ a dozen which ain't bad at all (we hunt mostly small water around here i rarely put out more than a dozen). I do suggest ya get yourself a Texas style weight setup. Just clip the swivels onto your decoys and the other end of the line hooks onto a carabiner. Makes setup/takedown/transportation so much easier. Hope this answers some of your questions, feel free to ask away ill give ya as much info/tips that ya need  ;)

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Jan 30, 2013, 05:47:00 AM »
The Texas rigs are real sweet - no more wrapping cold, wet line and weights.  I went with Doc's Hunt N Stuff - http://docshuntnstuff.com/  I picked them up from the Mack Prairie Wings catalog.
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal