Author Topic: Anybody shoot any ducks?  (Read 4021 times)

Offline BBK

• 6 Pointer
Anybody shoot any ducks?
« on: Nov 15, 2009, 04:57:10 AM »
How ya guys doing this year? We've killed around 7 ducks and no geese so far. Seems like the years get worse and worse. There better be some ducks and geese come down or I'm not even going to buy a license next year.

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
Re: Anybody shoot any ducks?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 15, 2009, 05:20:46 AM »
I'm in wNY....

Went out Halloween morning to Iroquois NWR.  Warm, but a front was moving through with wind and rain.  Saw TONS of birds, but we weren't on the "X".  Shot 5 birds, lost 2 in really thick cattails.  Came home with one small goose, hen gadwall, and hen GW teal.

Went out again last Tuesday morning to Lakeshore Marshes WMA.  Bupkus - steady weather, with no recent fronts.  Heard a few geese leave at first light, another pair shortly after.  Two birds moving high and fast north towards the big lake a little while later - looked like woodies, which makes no sense.  After that just one lone Canada which had no interest in my spread, and one hen mallard that landed about 80 yard out, and went up a creek arm.  I went looking for her in the canoe, and never saw her again.
Look a ride around the bay after that.  Kicked up a merganser at the barrier beach to the lake.  Saw some divers a few hundred yard out trading back and forth, but nothing close.  Absolutely nothing in the marsh when I went back through to put the boat on the car again.

Hoping to get out in the field for geese soon, since people are finally cutting corn and beans.
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline Madpuppy

• 6 Pointer
  • SAPA SUMANITU TAKA
« Reply #2 on: Nov 15, 2009, 09:09:44 AM »
Not worth going out around here as there are no birds in the area. I was up by Madison South Dakota yesterday and there's a few birds up that way but not the #'s you should be seeing this time of year. Kinda disappointing >:(
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM, THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline BBK

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Nov 15, 2009, 09:26:45 AM »
Hunted this morning and saw 7 mallards and had one ringneck land 40 yards out. My buddy tried him but he was a little far out for an IC choke and Xpert 4's. I keep telling him that we need to shoot the big bullets this year, we need to kill a few at least.

Offline Stuck-on-Seven

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2009, 09:36:11 AM »
We got a bunch of mallards and some teals the week we hunted before deer started. I personally got 4 mallards. We did get one banded mallard drake, nice lookin bird, he was 4 years old. Gonna go some more after deer closes to kill time before ice fishin starts

Offline fish_finder

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2009, 09:42:23 AM »
Im havin a pretty good year up this way, the water was really high all summer came up really high before the season so there was little to no feed in the marshes but i hunted a new spot this year in some flooded timber and it worked out great. I think ive gotten somewhere around 50 something ducks this year,  a lot of wooducks early on.mostly black ducks, teal and mallards but also got a good mix of less common ducks like widgeon, shovelers and blue wings. Usually this time of year it starts going down hill as the lake starts to freeze but we are still getting good shoots.
It flies it dies

Offline BBK

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2009, 07:55:40 PM »
We got a bunch of mallards and some teals the week we hunted before deer started. I personally got 4 mallards. We did get one banded mallard drake, nice lookin bird, he was 4 years old. Gonna go some more after deer closes to kill time before ice fishin starts

How do ya know it was 4 years old? I shot a banded woody last year and it took months for the info to get to me.

Offline BBK

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2009, 07:57:52 PM »
Hunted yesterday morning. Saw 30 ducks heading out to the fields early then nothing. We sat for about 2 hours BS'ing when a teal came screaming into the pond and landed outside the decoys. I will admit that I shot 3 times and missed.

I bought a new extended waterfowl choke, it shot a 20" pattern at 50 yards.... thats the last time I use that choke while hunting a pond.

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2009, 09:12:55 PM »
We been stacking a few of em up...............  Been hunting all flooded farm fields, hunted yesterday morning and killed a 3 man limit of mallards plus 2 canadas in just under 2.5 hrs.  THat was a fun shoot!  We dont duck hunt much, but everytime we do we seem to really get into them good.
  This is what we hunted over
me early in the hunt
all done
Buddy volunteered to be the one to haul the ducks out!! Kinda felt bad for em.... kinda
all 3 of us again.

Hunted the morning of October 31st in a flooded bean stubble field, hunted with 5 guys, killed 18 mallards that morning, just could NOT get those last two birds to commit....

Started with an early mornin...
our spread with a  damn snow crow that needed to be shot..... but instead got the CRAP scared out of him when 40 mallards were inside the spread!! ;D
  missing a few birds in the pic, the guy that left early took a few off our hands.
  Only thing i HATE about flooded farm fields, hauling all your crap in and out manually, aint like september goose when you can drive out into the fields!! O well, at least its ducks and not geese, we're not hauling any dang full bodies out.

We've been limiting or real close to a limit almost everytime we've gone out, whether its 2 guys or five guys, its been pretty fun, and not bad for a couple deer hunters who only duck hunt when its too nasty to go out deer hunting!  All of these birds have been killed right around my place, been scouting em pretty hard every chance that we get, and its been paying off.  I've been done deer hunting since November 7th after killing my 2nd buck and 4th deer with my bow this year, so im taking some time off waiting for late doe season to whack some more does with the bow, and in that time off have been killin ducks and scoutin, goose opened back up here thanksgiving morning so we will start focusing on geese a little too now, when we cant find any ducks to hunt.
« Last Edit: Nov 27, 2009, 09:18:23 PM by WhiteTail Madness »
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline Madpuppy

• 6 Pointer
  • SAPA SUMANITU TAKA
« Reply #9 on: Nov 28, 2009, 09:15:39 AM »
Great hunt Whitetail!!! Sounds like your gonna need to invest in a few more freezers at the rate your going ;D
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM, THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #10 on: Nov 28, 2009, 06:20:36 PM »
My dad gave me 2 options Puppy, either buy a new freezer, or dont kill anymore deer..........  Well im now in the market for a new freezer so i can continue to go out and whack some late does with the bowtech! And now we're starting to add a few ducks to it also.  Its been a great all around year, whitetails, fowl, trapping, fishing, everything has been great!
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal