Author Topic: Frog legs - New York  (Read 20630 times)

Offline DeerReaver

• 6 Pointer
Frog legs - New York
« on: Aug 19, 2013, 10:08:19 PM »
I was just curious if anyone knows if their are any health advisories for eating frog legs in Western New York?  I know that all turtles are considered inedible due to chemical contamination (PCBs) and I know certain fish have a once per month limit...but I can't find anything about frogs.  I was hoping that someone here might know the answer regarding the safe eating of these critters.

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
Re: Frog legs - New York
« Reply #1 on: Aug 20, 2013, 05:17:17 AM »
I'm not sure the answer but I'd think it would depend what water body you get them from.  Nothing better then fried frog legs!

Offline oneshott

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Aug 20, 2013, 05:54:33 AM »
I'm not sure the answer but I'd think it would depend what water body you get them from.  Nothing better then fried frog legs!
Probably depends on what type of frog also/ meaning what it's diet is.  Some are carnivorous, therefore may eat small fish with mercury levels.

Offline jperch

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Aug 20, 2013, 07:57:53 AM »
There are people who eat snapping turtles in NY.  Snappers have a long life span, and are near the top of the food chain.  This gives them the chance to accumulate toxins.  I think frogs, by comparison, are lower on the food chain and have a much shorter life span.  It stands to reason that snapping turtles would potentially be more prone to contamination than frogs.  I believe that toxin levels in snappers are sometimes used to monitor the environment.  The DEC website may have some information on toxin levels, if not you could contact them.  jperch

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #4 on: Aug 20, 2013, 08:21:13 AM »
If its only one or two meals a year I wouldn't worry about it...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline DeerReaver

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Aug 20, 2013, 09:28:41 PM »
I checked the DEC's website as well as the Department of Health for NY and frogs were not even mentioned on any list of limited or 'do not eat'.  I cleaned and cooked three frogs from my neighbor's landscape pond and I was shocked by how good the texture and taste of the meat.  I was thinking of gigging a few more meals before the season closes and I just wasn't sure about the safety of the  meal.  The life cycle and mortality is a great point...snapping turtle was the only reptile/amphibian on the contaminated list.  Thanks for the input guys!!

« Last Edit: Aug 20, 2013, 09:32:42 PM by DeerReaver »

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2013, 03:59:41 AM »
Them sure look taste  :P :P

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2013, 05:00:51 AM »
They look good!

Offline DeerReaver

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Aug 21, 2013, 05:38:13 AM »
GMH...you would be surprised, they have the texture similar to a scallop and have no unusual flavor.  I cooked them up in olive oil, garlic, and a mixed seasoning called Cajun Spice.  The meat fell off the bone and I really enjoyed it, along with my 9 and 4 year old sons!!  I plan on getting a few more meals worth before the beginning of September (season closes).

Offline Bugman

• Spiked
  • Serenity and spiritual awareness is what I pursue
« Reply #9 on: Oct 15, 2016, 02:49:31 PM »
You would love to gig in Florida then year round season , and unless we have lol hard winter we do gig year round, thanks for the thread and pictures

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2016, 02:40:25 PM »
Biggest frogs I've ever seen are in Eunice Louisiana.  I had to stop the car when I hit one.  I couldn't believe how big it was.  Easily longer than a size 13 men's shoe!

Offline fishnmachine

• 8 Pointer
  • Take 'em!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 16, 2016, 06:25:11 PM »
Lightly floured and deep fried, they're as good as any chicken wing out there!   ;D
It'll chew...

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #12 on: Nov 17, 2016, 08:05:41 AM »
Biggest frogs I've ever seen are in Eunice Louisiana.  I had to stop the car when I hit one.  I couldn't believe how big it was.  Easily longer than a size 13 men's shoe!

Well mister I see you made the move..  I bet it's nice down there..   Start a thread and post some pictures...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal