Author Topic: Little Buck Down  (Read 1509 times)

Offline Adrock

• 6 Pointer
Little Buck Down
« on: Nov 28, 2020, 05:02:53 AM »
I had an action packed morning in the woods yesterday. At about 7 I had this cow moose come in and just hang around feeding. I was hunting on the ground so I can't believe she didn't wind me at all. Or if she did she didn't seem to care. Just hung out and kept right on feeding. Watched her go to town on a small maple tree peeling bark.

After about 45 minutes of watching this moose I had to snap myself out of it and remember I was deer hunting and to pay attention. A little before 8 I caught movement about 100yds out through the woods. Caught movement again this time coming in closer. I knew it wasn't a huge deer, couldn't confirm antlers yet. He closed the distance to about 50 yds and hit the breaks as soon as he spotted that moose. They were having a stand off staring at each other. I could at least make out the spikes in the scope and figured with an empty freezer and a bow tag still in my pocket if he gives me a shot I'm going to take it. (I missed a good opportunity last Saturday at a decent 6 pointer that would have been a new personal best. Chalk it up to buck fever I guess, forced a hard quartering to shot and I think pulled it right and missed entirely. Spent 2 hours that night and about 6 hours the next day in waders searching a swamp and never found blood, hair, or the deer). He zig zagged back and forth a little bit trying to figure out how to get around this moose. He finally stepped into an opening and stopped him, settled the cross hairs and sent one into the boiler room. Blood everywhere, easy track job, and a big sigh of relief that I didn't screw it up this time.

Got him hung up in the garage packed on ice, where's the cold weather when I need it? I'll get him broken down today and let some large cuts hang in the fridge in the garage and work at cutting and packaging him up. Still got that bow tag in my pocket and a hopefully run into one of the bigger bucks I have on camera. Still have couple weeks to make something happen. Good luck out there everyone!

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: Little Buck Down
« Reply #1 on: Nov 28, 2020, 05:21:52 AM »
Congratulations man. I would be happy just watching the cow. But i know from experience that the spike will taste great.. 8)     
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #2 on: Nov 28, 2020, 06:16:03 AM »
Awesome! Congrats on the fruits of your labor!
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline The 3Ps

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Nov 28, 2020, 06:26:14 AM »
Good eats! Congrats!
patience, persistence, presentation

Offline zwiggles

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2020, 06:42:00 AM »
Nice! Sounds like an awesome morning in the woods!

Offline Mtnman

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2020, 06:44:55 AM »
Nice work, congrats.  Yes that spike will eat great!

Offline hunts2long

• 12 Pointer
  • Northville,NY
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2020, 09:34:03 AM »
Congrats on your buck...h2l
Some days are diamonds some days are stone

Offline tubeslinger

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 28, 2020, 10:58:16 AM »
Congrats meat in the freezer

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 28, 2020, 12:05:29 PM »
Way to get er dun!! Gotta fill that freezer!
Sounds like an awesome morning.

Offline benny8

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2020, 04:11:05 AM »
Congratulations!

Offline Dirt23

• Forked
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2020, 05:24:17 AM »
Congrats. he will eat very well

Offline lv2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2020, 08:50:36 AM »
Congrats on the buck always a great day when you have some free entertainment in the woods while you wait to fill the freezer.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal