Author Topic: 2011 Montana Deer Thread  (Read 9869 times)

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
Re: 2011 Montana Deer Thread
« Reply #30 on: Jun 21, 2012, 09:23:47 AM »
Nice buck, must be quite a rush to get one with a long bow from the ground.

And welcome to MHF.
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2012, 09:24:20 AM by stka »

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #31 on: Jun 21, 2012, 09:36:37 AM »
Welcome to the site cornbread...   Nice buck..
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline Cornbread

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #32 on: Jun 21, 2012, 09:50:47 AM »
Thanks guys. I actually don't own a tree stand, all the deer I have ever shot have been from ground blinds I made out of branches etc. or while just out walking around. I have got at least one deer a year for the last twelve years or so.

All the ones we shot when I was a kid were from the ground too but that was in ND and they were mostly does because we could get so many doe tags. I would have to ask my brother if it is still this way but as kids in ND when you shot one you turned in your tag and they gave you another one for five dollars and you could do that all season long and you could have five tags in your possession at one time. It wasn't really hunting it was just killing for our families meat supply. I can remember years where we would process up to ten at a time. It generally went something like: drive to a tree row, brother and I would walk through the trees and my Dad and uncle would walk outside the tree row on opposite sides of it and shoot everything that ran out until they had shot ten, drive the truck around and pick up all the deer, go home and spend the next two days butchering them all up. Deer hunting didn't start being fun for me until I was an adult after I got out of the Marines, before that it just meant a lot of work. I guess there is worse work you could grow up doing :)

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #33 on: Jun 21, 2012, 04:43:33 PM »
Heck of a buck with the longbow. Congrats to you and welcome to the site.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #34 on: Jun 21, 2012, 05:10:11 PM »
Boy that sure is a Dandy buck with a long bow not many people hunt with them anymore ; Welcome to the site And We love Pic's from out West    ;) ;D ;D :)

Offline Cornbread

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #35 on: Jun 22, 2012, 09:39:02 AM »
This is the bow I have killed the most deer with. It is 62lbs at my draw length of 27". So far it has taken all bucks, it is my lucky bow :) This one a friend made for me. I have another that is self made that is 75lbs at my draw length but I haven't killed as much with it as I have with this one. Everything you see here is home made minus the quiver and plastic nocks on the arrows. Self nocks just take too long to make although I have done many arrows with them. About the time your kids break their 100th arrow with self nocks it gets really old making new ones. My parents were too cheap to buy us bows growing up so I guess I can thank them that I know how to build bows. My brother makes a lot nicer bow than I do, I haven't the patience to make super nice ones. I prefer to make arrows and trade him for a bow when I feel the need to have a new one.

Offline peddler

• 10 Pointer
  • FREE DROBS
« Reply #36 on: Jun 22, 2012, 09:48:56 AM »
Nice Cornbread, very nice !!!

Peddler
Peddler

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #37 on: Jun 23, 2012, 12:42:05 PM »
Nice looking long bow you Got there cornbread   ; Never played with them only compounds ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal