Author Topic: Smoking Wild Game  (Read 9976 times)

Offline bear87

• Forked
Smoking Wild Game
« on: Oct 03, 2006, 02:20:26 PM »
Does anyone smoke any wild game? I am looking for idea's. bear

Offline tucker

• 6 Pointer
  • What are you lookin at?
Re: Smoking Wild Game
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2006, 03:16:02 PM »
i make alot of venison jerky.  That is the main way i eat deer.  I use the hi mountain jerky mix and a dehydrator

Offline bwhunter2417

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Mar 21, 2007, 04:46:56 PM »
its not a true smoker, but i have one of those charcoal units (they look like a black R2-D2)... i marinade all my meat in a thick brine with lots of brown sugar and thyme... then i smoke (especially loins) for about 6-8 hrs until its a little past medium
When in doubt....BACK OUT

trespassers BEWARE of flying objects.... they may be bullets

Offline zimmer2

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2007, 08:12:41 AM »

Bear87
 I have made my own sausage, jerky, snack sticks for many years. I built a smoker out of 1 1/2" square tubing, lined with stainless steel on the inside. and aluminum on the outside.Then filled the 1 1/2" frame with insulation.  With an oven elemnet and a round burner element for heat that is controlled with an oven thermostat. Works good for me. It is 24" x 24" inside and 60" tall with 24" legs. Will easily hold 75# of sausage at a time.

For stuffing sausage and snack sticks  I use a "Dakota water stuffer"
http://www.dakotahsausagestuffer.com/.

Jerky I make with ground meat and use a jerky shooter I bought from Cablea's and High Country spices I purchase at Wal-Mart. Terriyaki is my favorite.

Spices for summer sausage, smokies, kielbasa, etc. i order from
http://www.spokanespice.com/index.php

Offline the wizard

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2007, 12:36:42 PM »
 I Made some goose jerkey and must say it was the best jerkey I ever had.
    I soke the goose breast overnight in salt water drain then resoak again in salt water overnigh for a total of 3 times.
  I've used many kinds of jerkey recipes but my friends picked a store bought mix called Hi mountain jerkey cure and seasoning      [ by Jim Zimbo] , oh well its easy to use and less messy .   after 24hrs of marinading , I smoked at 180 for 5-6 hrs , used 2 pans of hickory chips then left untill they were just a little moist in the center and not tuff .
   I have 3 or 4 friends that have now decided to take up goose hunting this year ... ::) :D
      >>>>--------> 2014 Venison Villans

Offline millermankt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2007, 08:35:51 AM »
Wizard, same here, I've been making jerky out of goose for years...AWESOME !!!
Bear87, the way I smoke a venison roast is to rub it w/ season salt and lemon pepper then cover the roast w/ strips of bacon. Smoke it for 7-8 hrs.  I also like to put a rork roast on the lower rack under the venison roast and let everything drip down onto it while it smokes also.I use my own wood chunks (fruit wood or Oak/ Maple)  Then I just wrap the pork roast and freeze it for a future dinner.
Goose breasts are also good smoked too !! Good luck. Experiment..it's fun. 8)

Offline vivlamored

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 28, 2007, 06:07:15 PM »
it must be hard to smoke a bear gotta be hard to light which end do you drag from?  ;) jk

Offline heymax

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Nov 24, 2008, 10:40:24 PM »
it must be hard to smoke a bear gotta be hard to light which end do you drag from?  ;) jk
I took a drag off a squirrel once but I didn't inhale ;)
« Last Edit: Nov 25, 2008, 05:01:12 AM by heymax »

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Jul 08, 2015, 03:54:58 PM »
Marinate a pheasant in Italian dressing for 24 hours. Wrap it in a few pieces of bacon and smoke it until a toothpick comes out clean. They are unreal this way.
Honor Respect Loyalty

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal