Author Topic: Canned Deer Meat  (Read 11719 times)

Offline heymax

• Forked
Canned Deer Meat
« on: Dec 10, 2008, 05:30:52 PM »

You put the deer meat (1 to 2 inch chunks) in boiling water and brown them up a bit. Then you put the meat in quart mason jars and pour the broth into the jar(don't stuff the meat to tight and fill the jar to about 1 inch from the top. Put the lids on and put them in a Pressure Cooker for either 11 pounds for 90 minutes or 15 pounds for 45 minutes. Let the pressure come down on it's own and when it reads 0, wait a few more minutes and remove the cover to the cooker. Pull out the jars and place them on the counter to cool and you'll hear the lids pop. Some folks add a beef bullion cube some don't. You can also add a tea spoon of salt if you may. Some even use V-8 instead of the broth. Enjoy, Max

P.S. Read your instructions that come with your Pressure Cooker as some things vary. Be careful

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
Re: Canned Deer Meat
« Reply #1 on: Dec 10, 2008, 07:37:06 PM »
What keeps the meat from spoiling?  Have you ever done Salmon?  I use to eat Salmon from canning jars when I was a kid; we made fish patties from it.  Catch plenty of Salmon now and sure would like to know how to can it...

Offline heymax

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Dec 10, 2008, 08:23:58 PM »
It's cooked and it's pressure sealed. Just like any other canned product. It won't last forever but it will last a while. I have a Canned Fish recipe as well.   

In a pint jar packed with fish add:

1 Tablespoon minced onions
    1 Tablespoon cooking oil
    1 Tablespoon ketchup
    1 teaspoon liquid smoke
    1 teaspoon salt

Pressure cook at 10lbs for 90 minutes. This is one of the best ways that I know to eat fish. It looks like Puke in a jar when it's done but spread some on a ritz cracker and wow. I tried this for the first time when I was stationed in Iceland. Enjoy.... Max

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #3 on: Dec 12, 2008, 07:27:48 PM »
Thanx Max....I'll have to try it

Offline rocky

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Nov 30, 2009, 05:42:01 PM »
Just the other day a guy at work was telling me how good canned deer meat is.  Might have to give it a try now, thanks for your post.

Offline Corporal Punishment

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2009, 05:59:10 PM »
Just the other day a guy at work was telling me how good canned deer meat is.  Might have to give it a try now, thanks for your post.

Heard it was good as well,never made/tried it though!!!Sounds like a little work to make but I would like to try it..... ;)

Offline vivlamored

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2009, 06:04:54 PM »
we've done it before it's great reheated over noodles or potatoes or even mixed up with mayo and made into sandwiches

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #7 on: Dec 05, 2009, 09:07:30 AM »
Do you have to use a pressure cooker or can you boil the filled jars to seal them?? Had a bad experience with a pressure cooker... Spent several days in the Syracuse burn unit...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline vivlamored

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Dec 05, 2009, 12:17:47 PM »
we used pressure canner

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2009, 03:16:39 PM »
canned venison is great! My mom just 30 lbs of venny, and 20 lbs of great lakes salmon. First time trying the salmon and that was pretty dang good!
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline SilentStalker

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2010, 11:36:04 AM »
we've done it before it's great reheated over noodles or potatoes or even mixed up with mayo and made into sandwiches

I just had this...Very tasty!!

Offline major257

• Forked
« Reply #11 on: Oct 01, 2012, 10:14:04 PM »
My family has never canned venison in the manner described above. I have had it prepared that way and didn't see the appeal.

I take the 1" ckunks of meat and stuff the into the jars raw. I pack the meat into the jars to 1" from the lid and add 1/4 teaspoon of canning salt ( it is not necessary but preserves flavor). Then follow the canning proceedure for you canner for meat. We water bathed jars of meat when I was a kid for 3 hours thank god for new pressure canners.

This method leaves you with pure venison meat and juice in the jar. A perfect treat hot or cold.

Offline fatman

• 6 Pointer
  • Always Expect The Unexpected
« Reply #12 on: Nov 30, 2012, 05:00:28 PM »
 I love canned venison.  I personally take 1" - 2" venison cubes, 1/2 onion, couple cloves of  garlic and 1beef bullion cube. Then pressure cook!
No matter how big a deer is. You can only put a little piece on your fork at a time.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal