Author Topic: Bobcats with hounds  (Read 2691 times)

Offline Lobsterman

• Forked
Bobcats with hounds
« on: Jan 16, 2018, 08:02:12 AM »
has anyone been on a bobcat hunt over hounds? i am kind of wondering what gear will be needed also shotgun or rifle the guy im going with states he uses shotgun with turkey loads i want to tan it if i have luck any comments would be welcome thanks

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: Bobcats with hounds
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2018, 10:10:37 AM »
Most cats hunted with hounds are most likely shot out of a tree.. 
A small caliber scoped rifle and a head shot is usually available..   JMO..
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline Lobsterman

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2018, 11:28:50 AM »
i see thanks for your info any others??

Offline SlickRockHounds

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2018, 01:01:13 PM »
the lightest weight single shot shotgun you can find loaded with 2's.

you're going to be going through thicker brush than you ever wanted to and chasing cat hounds is more about walking far and fast  on snowshoes in thick cover and blowdowns than shooting.

single shot 20 ga or 16 is my go to gun for the last 45 years, or a 22 handgun but i dont allow rifles or handguns around my hounds, ricochet off branches and tree trunks are too dangerous to us, and not needed.

google Nelson Cole, Bobcat hounds. I have my bear hounds out of his musket dog, he and his son have videos out there I think called the Cat Men, gives you a view of what to expect.

Offline Lobsterman

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2018, 05:52:10 AM »
well i went on the hunt we hunted for 2 days and bayed 3 cats but they weren't the size i was looking for we di get on one big cat but he seemed to outsmart the hounds that day .it was a great time and alot of work but i learned alot about tracking and how cats seem to live.

Offline seags

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2018, 09:15:34 AM »
I think that it would be be cool to go after bobcats.
I still have a few old Bowhunter Magazines with articles about bobcat hunting with a bow. Yes I would try it with my Bear Grizzly recurve; that would give me an excuse to build more arrows and buy some old broadheads. I think  a skull shot would be nifty looking. The pelt I would do an arrow quiver out of it.
As far as a shotgun; I would go with my 12 gauge H/R single shot.
I am almost done re-blueing and doing a major clean up on that gun, so I can research the model/serial numbers and find out what year that gun is.

Offline Lobsterman

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Feb 14, 2018, 05:42:36 AM »
great hunt but i dont think you would have much to any success without hounds

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal