Author Topic: Moose Hunt 2017 is Game On  (Read 13826 times)

Offline Aziscohosbuck

• 6 Pointer
Moose Hunt 2017 is Game On
« on: Jun 17, 2017, 09:42:22 PM »
Boy am I psyched up tonight, checked the Moose Hunt Lottery results at 8pm tonight on the MDIFW site and lo and behold there was my name for Zone 2, September, Bull only.  The first year I ever applied was 2016 at which time I decided if I was ever going to get a Maine Moose Hunt checked off the bucket list before I die I better get going.  I didn't get picked in 2016 at age 60 and didn't expect to, just figured I had ruined any chance I may have had by not applying starting 30 plus years ago.  So I applied in 2017 with a grand total of 1 bonus point, and Bingo I got picked, go figure?  I never argue with providence, this just must have been meant to be and now it's game on with the planning for a hunt of a lifetime at age 61.  I am perfectly fine with Zone 2, although my first choice was Zone 7 as I have a camp there and know the area extremely well for where to find the Moose, so I may try to find a swap for Zone 2 to Zone 7, however I have a close friend who will be my sub-permitee who knows zone 2 intimately and has Outfitter Guide Tents and supplies to make it happen in Zone 2.  Win, Win either way!

What a Blessing this hunt will mean to me, words can't express,
Aziscohosbuck

Offline teampar

• 6 Pointer
Re: Moose Hunt 2017 is Game On
« Reply #1 on: Jun 18, 2017, 06:29:31 AM »
Congrats! Zone 2 is a great tag. That is in our neck of the woods, my dad finally got pulled this year as well a bull tag for zone 9 so we will be looking to swap for something closer to home as well. Good luck!

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #2 on: Jun 18, 2017, 06:50:48 AM »

Congraduations  ; Zone 2 is an awesome zone to draw you going to have a great time four sure  ;D

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #3 on: Jun 18, 2017, 01:48:10 PM »
Congratulations! No such luck for me. Maybe some day. Zone 7 is my hope as well
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #4 on: Jun 18, 2017, 01:48:37 PM »
Sept bull in zone 2 I don't think it can get any funner
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Lobsterman

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Jun 19, 2017, 10:20:29 AM »
you shouldn't have any problem swapping zone 2 that's where the big ones are...

Offline teampar

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Jun 19, 2017, 10:49:44 AM »
Got lucky enough to swap the zone 9 bull tag for a zone 3 sept. bull tag. Much closer to home.😎

Offline Aziscohosbuck

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Jun 19, 2017, 06:17:34 PM »
OK, so it took me some 48 hours to come to my senses about getting drawn for zone 2 in September for a bull.  You really can't beat that when you consider that Zone 1,2,3, 4 and 5 produce the highest numbers of harvested moose as well as the largest Moose and has the highest densities of Moose populations in the state.  So why mess with providence, that given with the fact that I am being provided with a guide at no charge with proven experience over 5 seasons with 100% success and will be providing two 16' x 16' Outfitter Guide Tents with a portable latrine tent and a portable shower unit and a 4'x4' refrigerated storage unit run by a generater and electric lights to boot, all of this at no cost to me.   Not gonna swap for zone 7, going for a remote self guided outfitter camp hunt in zone 2.

That and the fact that the farther and more remote in Northern Maine that this hunt takes place, the more awesome the experience in my opinion,
Aziscohosbuck 

Offline MEhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Jun 20, 2017, 08:20:01 AM »
OK, so it took me some 48 hours to come to my senses about getting drawn for zone 2 in September for a bull.  You really can't beat that when you consider that Zone 1,2,3, 4 and 5 produce the highest numbers of harvested moose as well as the largest Moose and has the highest densities of Moose populations in the state.  So why mess with providence, that given with the fact that I am being provided with a guide at no charge with proven experience over 5 seasons with 100% success and will be providing two 16' x 16' Outfitter Guide Tents with a portable latrine tent and a portable shower unit and a 4'x4' refrigerated storage unit run by a generater and electric lights to boot, all of this at no cost to me.   Not gonna swap for zone 7, going for a remote self guided outfitter camp hunt in zone 2.

That and the fact that the farther and more remote in Northern Maine that this hunt takes place, the more awesome the experience in my opinion,
Aziscohosbuck

You're making the right decision IMO. Rangeley no doubt holds some of the biggest, if not the biggest racked bulls in the state, but it's a post rut hunt and you're pretty much deer hunting for them. Still capable of shooting one that comes into a call yes, but much better chances of experiencing a true full blown moose hunt going with zone 2 in September, you will not be disappointed! Good luck and congrats, we won't be too far from you in September.

Offline huntermike

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Jun 20, 2017, 08:31:13 PM »
I have had no such luck getting drawn either for myself but in 2015 my girlfriend and daughter both got drawn for cow tags in zone 2 for the November hunt ,was a great time but a very tough hunt an ended up getting one with ten minutes left on the last day ,then last year my girlfriend's son got drawn for zone 2 bull in September ,we past on a small bull early first day an ended up calling another one in the same day in the afternoon to about 50 yards an we shot him he was about 800lbs great hunt ,then this year my son got drawn for a cow tag for zone 2 so we will be going up in October for that hunt an also my buddy got drawn for a bull in September so I will also be up there for the first week we have had plenty of experience in zone 2 an it is a great zone to have bull tags in , definitely do a lot of calling it's one of the best experience u will ever have ,it is a rush for sure.good luck to you an maybe we'll run into each other up there.

Offline Aziscohosbuck

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Jun 22, 2017, 03:57:56 PM »
I would like to thank each and everyone of you that has replied to this post with nothing but positive enthusiasm and supporting this decision to stick with zone 2, hey guys I really appreciate the support and it does a lot of good in boosting my confidence in making the right decision.  I don't want to blow this as this is probably one and done for me at my age.  OK so what are your thoughts on a tool that we are adding to the tool box for this trip, it is essentially an electric winch with steel cable but instead of being mounted to a truck and run from the battery, this rig runs off a chainsaw and is portable!  So we will be bringing this rig with us and plenty of strong rope and pulleys as well.  Seems to me that with this rig properly running you could double or triple the distance that you could "twitch" a very large field dressed Moose out of the woods at distances well beyond 200 yards from a road.  Your thoughts and experiences with this type of rig would be well appreciated.

Thanks,
Aziscohosbuck

Offline robbfishing

• Forked
« Reply #11 on: Jun 22, 2017, 05:10:08 PM »
yes good tool to have !!! zone 2 is a great zone my wife and I both had it in 2014 . no lack of moose  8) hewes brook rd was good to us

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #12 on: Jun 22, 2017, 05:31:18 PM »

A truck is #1 then  1000 feet of rope 3 or 4 snatch blocks bracket to mount a snatch block in the front of your snatch blocks two
   one 4x8 sheet of 1" plywood to load the moose in the back of your truck , Makes an easy one man job of it ..... Congrads  on your
   zone 2 draw now the area real well lot's of moose i see all the time while deer hunting off the Rocky Brook rd.

Offline MEhunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Jun 23, 2017, 08:55:32 AM »
Those capstan/chainsaw winches are a great tool to have, just make sure it runs good. I would do some test runs with it maybe moving some heavy logs to make sure it's going to do what you want to do. I've seen a couple that were awesome and a couple that wouldn't pull a moose at all. Try and get some good non stretch rope for it. We pulled two out quite a ways a few years back. Looking back I would probably just cut them up and pack them out now, but your winch will do you just fine if it's working properly.

Bring at least 3 spare tires, plug kit, and portable compressor. Seen some horror shows with tires up there. Snatch blocks, come-along, some sort of cable loop or pre fabricated heavy duty rope loop that will allow you to hook and unhook the moose easily when pulling him out is huge. Sometimes you have to hook and unhook the things a bunch, you don't want to be messing around trying to untie or unwrap line.

Offline teampar

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Jun 23, 2017, 09:27:17 AM »
Those capstan/chainsaw winches are a great tool to have, just make sure it runs good. I would do some test runs with it maybe moving some heavy logs to make sure it's going to do what you want to do. I've seen a couple that were awesome and a couple that wouldn't pull a moose at all. Try and get some good non stretch rope for it. We pulled two out quite a ways a few years back. Looking back I would probably just cut them up and pack them out now, but your winch will do you just fine if it's working properly.

Bring at least 3 spare tires, plug kit, and portable compressor. Seen some horror shows with tires up there. Snatch blocks, come-along, some sort of cable loop or pre fabricated heavy duty rope loop that will allow you to hook and unhook the moose easily when pulling him out is huge. Sometimes you have to hook and unhook the things a bunch, you don't want to be messing around trying to untie or unwrap line.

Good stuff Dave......We could really use you on our Sept. zone 3 bull hunt!  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal