Author Topic: bear hunt with hounds  (Read 3458 times)

Offline Lobsterman

• Forked
bear hunt with hounds
« on: Apr 28, 2017, 10:17:52 AM »
anyone been on a hund hunt for bear in september i reserved the first week of hound hunting. i was wondering what type of gear im going to need its in somerset county.i have alot of hunting gear

Offline Alex D. Large

• 6 Pointer
Re: bear hunt with hounds
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 08:55:29 PM »
I've never been on a hound hunt but I run into them frequently and have found lost dogs on occasion. You might want shooting sticks. Usually the objective is for the dogs to run the bear til it trees or crosses a logging road where a shooter is waiting. Probably only have one quick shot at the road crossings. My advice would be to practice shooting running targets. Weather is usually warm and you'll probably be riding in your truck all day anyway... bring a GPS.

Offline cjg

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2017, 09:52:59 AM »
I have several friends and relatives with bear dogs and I've been on a bunch of bear hunts with hounds and never seen one shot on a road crossing. Coyotes or rabbits, but never a bear. Guides have to much time and money invested in dogs to chance a sport taking a shot at a bear crossing the road and killing a dog or the shot hitting a vehicle down the road. It's not like you're using bird shot. Some times bigger ones will bay up and fight and not go up a tree, that can get interesting. If you're going with a guide he is going to do everything he can to get it up a tree so you can look it over before you shoot.
As far as gear, that will depend on where you're hunting and the weather. Plan on doing ALOT of hiking, so good hiking boots in the mountains or some good ankle fit rubber boots in swampy areas. Carry a pack with some water, it can be hot in September and you'll need it. Good tough clothes for busting through the brush. Sometimes you get lucky (and the guide) and you get a tree close to the road, but it seems like they are usually on top of the ridge or the back side of a mountain. Some mountains are steep, some not so much, depends on which part of the state you're in.
Don't be afraid to ask the guide to help wrangling the dogs, makes you more a part of the hunt and will get some respect from the guide. Coming out of the woods with 4 hounds on a lead is no fun for 1 person, help them out and take at least 1 on a leash. You may look at a few bears in the tree before you see one you want.
As far as a gun, anything you're comfortable with shooting a deer should be fine, a scope is a plus picking out vitals through the tree branches. You aren't going to be taking long shots so no need for a sniper rifle. Something light and easy to carry, I use a Remington pump 30-06 carbine with a leupold 1.75x5, perfect for any maine big game IMHO. Don't load up until the guide tells you to.
I'm sure you'll have a blast if you go with a good guide, like everything else, some are better than others, the best ones do it because they love to hunt with dogs and aren't in it for the money so much. It cost a lot to feed and take care of dogs all year for a couple months of hunting, a lot of hunters will only run their dogs on bear sometimes cats, if they run coyotes, they'll have different dogs.
Be sure to post how you made out with some pics.
Good luck
« Last Edit: May 27, 2017, 10:42:10 AM by cjg »

Offline Lobsterman

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Jun 01, 2017, 07:11:11 AM »
thanks cig ill post pics my hunt isn't until 2018 but im excited none the less.

Offline cjg

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Jun 01, 2017, 11:42:40 AM »
It is a blast. You might be able to go on some dog training runs if you get with your guide.
I think they start in July. It's usually short runs in the morning before it gets to hot to start getting the dogs in shape.

Offline rude the dude

• 6 Pointer
  • they all gotta die sooner or later.
« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2017, 06:15:13 AM »
I've seen bears get shot crossing roads.  Some bears do not tree.   A small bear may run all day   My advice would be make sure your in good shape.  There's no waiting around after the dogs jump it

Offline SlickRockHounds

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Aug 31, 2017, 09:58:29 PM »
if your guide's hounds wont bay up or tree the bear demand your money back and leave.

long run is 45 mins, if its a giant of a bear he'll bay up on the ground and fight, your shot should be a distance of FEET, nd maybe it's too thick to see so you have to back out til you cn see him or her.

it's hound music, a tough hike or scramble into the tree and then a good shot and the work begins. :) have fun and if you want top hound hunting get ahold of nelson cole.

My big male walker is out of his bear battlin' musket dog, we've treed just shy of 1,000 bears with him. this is his last season, he's all done

Offline slt

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Oct 09, 2017, 05:32:04 AM »
I'd bring some cash to tip the guide if you think your havin' fun......just sayin......never ran bears but use to have coon hounds. Nothing like listening to a good bunch of dogs do their job.....
Fight crime. Shoot back!

Offline Alex De Large

• Spiked
« Reply #8 on: Oct 09, 2017, 10:45:48 AM »
I have several friends and relatives with bear dogs and I've been on a bunch of bear hunts with hounds and never seen one shot on a road crossing.

Recently read an article in the BANGOR DAILY NEWS that had hounds chased a well known trophy bear across a road where a sport shot the bear... perhaps you would like to enlighten us on your skills as a woodsmen.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal