Author Topic: Hunting styles.  (Read 5032 times)

Offline Terrygonefishing

• Forked
Hunting styles.
« on: Oct 02, 2005, 09:36:59 AM »
Well guys I tried cow calling from my tree stand with no luck. I stayed till long after dark on many nights and just observed with night vision but no elk. Also got into my tree stand in early am about 2 hrs before sunrise with my night vision. Didn't use flashlight as someone told me that will spook them from a great distance, hence the night vision. This guy told me yesterday you have to go after them on ground and that they don't mind any noise you make but just don't let them scent you? I was wondering if you guys had experience doing this?

Offline MoosemanKris

• 6 Pointer
  • Tight Lines ans Straight Shooting
    • Silvertip Archers
Re: Hunting styles.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 19, 2005, 11:14:44 PM »
Well I'll give you the jist of our bow season hunt for elk. We decided on an early season calling method called "silent calling" It's called that because as early in the season as we were, the elk weren't calling yet. Our set up was right out of a Primos hunting calls video and tape. We used the same system they did (with no success I might add). Starts with regular "herd talk" cows and calves mewing and bleating. That for about 20-30 seconds, then one hot cow estrus whine and then a bugle at the end. Repeat every 5 minutes for 45 minutes.
What its supposed to do is bring up the excitement level of the bulls in the area when they hear that other cows have moved into their area. It didn't work for us but I think when we hunted our spot, the elk were gone. We had seen them there the second week of august but when we came back first week of september we found some tracks but they had moved out of the area and we never found them again.
Where abouts were you TGF? PM me if you dont want to post. We've heard that in our area after rifle season opened up 6 bulls have been taken out so far. They were in there......
Bagged to date:
9 grouse
6 squirrels
1 MIA Rabbitt

Offline Terrygonefishing

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Oct 20, 2005, 12:12:31 AM »
Fort St James area. Yes similar experience with me. The guides brought in alot of American hunters for 3 weeks when the season was on. So probably total of at least 18-23 hunters and only one got a shootable bull (7 point). They however were about 10 miles from me.

Offline MoosemanKris

• 6 Pointer
  • Tight Lines ans Straight Shooting
    • Silvertip Archers
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2005, 05:05:40 PM »
The problem with those dang elk is they move so much. They're not like moose......you can usually find them in the same spots anytime of the year. The stinking elk wander around the country and really put miles behind them. We saw the same tracks from one group of cows and calves one day that were only 2-3 days old and the next day we found thier tracks going down the road right after we came out of our set, about 10 klicks away! Very aggravating >:(  We were down by the east road river if you get my drift.
KRIS
Bagged to date:
9 grouse
6 squirrels
1 MIA Rabbitt

Offline BottomDweller

• 6 Pointer
  • rocky mountain ninja
« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2007, 02:08:24 PM »
if one set-up doesn't produce, go another ravine over and do the same thing.  don't stick to a regular calling regimen: switch it up and experiment.  but the most important thing is after calling for about 45 minutes, give it at least another 45 minutes of silence, just waiting, because, especially in the early season when the elk aren't talking so much, the bulls are liable to come in from miles away without making a sound at all.  you gotta allow time for them to close the distance, and allow for any hesitation on the part of the bulls.  and if that spot doesn't work, keep looking.  it takes time
« Last Edit: Sep 26, 2007, 02:14:41 PM by BottomDweller »
~it's a stump, it's a tree, no it's me~

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal