Author Topic: Climbing stand  (Read 1864 times)

Offline snag

• Nubbie
Climbing stand
« on: Sep 11, 2018, 08:02:18 PM »
What's everyone's favorite climbing stand I've owned most of them some I like more than others I just keep going back and hunting out of my old cheap 50 lb steel one

Offline Alex De Large

• Spiked
Re: Climbing stand
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2018, 06:52:23 PM »
I only have the summits, and actually I've only climbed in the 180 max. I find it a PITA to climb in. I'm only 5'10" so it seems like I inch my way up the tree. Bought  the summit viper from a friend just before the season last year. It is not the aluminum one though so it's kinda heavy. I haven't tried to climb with it yet, must be easier than the 180 cause you can sit on the bar to climb rather than using the seat. Anyhow, I have ladders and climbing sticks that I usually use so generally speaking I use my climbers as hang ons unless I'm on a bow hunt where I use a dedicated hang on cause the bars on the climber get in the way of a bow shot. My reasoning is this; the climbers (or at least the ones I own) are heavy and cumbersome to carry through the woods, let alone try to carry a rifle and day pack with that a mile or so. If I leave the climber at the base of the tree, deer come check it out during the night and it is more vulnerable to thieves and I still have to climb the tree with it. With ladder or sticks, it is ready to climb, deer aren't as spooked by it and most people don't even think about stealing it cause it is too high up, locked, and too far in the woods. Hang ons are nicer to carry in but not nearly as comfortable as my 180. I usually set them up well before the season and take them down before ML. I'm way up north, we have lots up public land, I realize not everyone could hunt like this.
How do others you've tried compare to the summits?
What's your reason to go back to the old steel one?

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Sep 13, 2018, 11:49:09 AM »
I just pulled the trigger on the Summit Viper (steel), flash sale $179.99 at Dick's. Online purchase only until 10PM tonight
Buddy has the Goliath, loves it and can sit in it from sun up to sundown
« Last Edit: Sep 13, 2018, 01:53:30 PM by ActiveTrapChecker »

Offline snag

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Sep 14, 2018, 07:03:01 AM »
I like the summits they are super compfey but not much different than my old steel one so I sold the last one I had, killed alot of deer our of an API when I lived down south then one day it broke at the base of a tree better than 50' up a southern yellow pine yeah I used to climb that high. I have a lone wolf ll sit and climb wide and I hate it nice and wide and functional just not for me.  Gonna get me an Ol' Man alumnilite I think and give it a try.  Also had a bunch of the off brand ones and some are pretty sweet for the money.  I like latter stands but not the answer for hunting on public expanded land I have them on my 40 acres at home.
« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2018, 07:03:57 AM by snag »

Offline Lobsterman

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Sep 17, 2018, 07:16:06 AM »
i like the summit viper in aluminum its about 17# not bad to carry but im a big guy. very comfortable if yur not careful you can fall asleep

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal