Author Topic: Sick deer???  (Read 12002 times)

Offline scalloper

• 6 Pointer
Re: Sick deer???
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2012, 09:31:49 AM »
Calm down scalloper........he was just pointing out that there should have been more first hand responsibillity by the hunter. We all have a duty to the resource. Live and learn.
I do agree. The hunter or the land owner should have called DNR. I did sugest it but the land owner did not seem interested. Seems like deer may be over populated in some areas as thats normaly the cause for disease.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2012, 11:42:30 AM »
I do agree. The hunter or the land owner should have called DNR. I did sugest it but the land owner did not seem interested. Seems like deer may be over populated in some areas as thats normaly the cause for disease.
At least you agree it was wrong. I am rather concerned as to what diesease it may have been. I don't think there has been any case of Blue tongue found down here yet. The CWD was found in Western MD not anywhere near where you were hunting.

Offline scalloper

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #17 on: Oct 12, 2012, 07:33:14 AM »
I understand that many deer have been dying of blue toung in the area we hunted last winter, is this common knowledge? I was told that 6-8 deer aday are being found on some properties.

Offline Fat Boy

• 6 Pointer
  • Whack 'em and stack 'em!
« Reply #18 on: Oct 12, 2012, 04:21:28 PM »
Here's an FAQ page on MD's DNR site about Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD) a.k.a. Bluetongue Disease

http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Hunt_Trap/deer/disease/hdfacts.asp

What to do about it if you find deer infected with this disease?  Here's an excerpt from the page answering that question:
Q. What do I do if I find a dead deer and suspect HD?

A. Deer deaths from HD occur in the late summer or early fall. If you find a deer you suspect has died from HD, contact the DNR Wildlife and Heritage Service Field Office closest to you: Bel Air (410) 836-4557, Annapolis (410) 260-8540, Cumberland (301) 777-2136, and Wye Mills 410-827-8612.

Q. Can I eat a deer that exhibits signs of HD?

A. The presence of HD in a deer that does not exhibit outward signs of the disease does not affect the safety of the meat. Deer with chronic HD can often have visible sores and secondary infections. The Department of Natural Resources recommends not eating deer which have large, open sores.
-Kevin Wilson

"Rabbit, rabbit...5 O'clock...It's comin' right for us!"  http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Offline scalloper

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #19 on: Oct 12, 2012, 05:44:08 PM »
Thanks FB

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal