Author Topic: Climbing ropes.  (Read 1412 times)

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
Climbing ropes.
« on: Dec 16, 2009, 04:04:43 PM »
Who uses them?? I have never used a climbing rope my whole life, i do strap up while on stand, but never while climbing.  How mobile are the climbing ropes?  I use a climber a LOT, and have 25 different permanant lock on treestands in the woods, very mobile while I am hunting until i find something to zero in on.  Im just curious if they're a big investment for that many spots, or mobile or what? I know nothing about them, and am looking for some input from someone who has experience with them.
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
Re: Climbing ropes.
« Reply #1 on: Dec 17, 2009, 04:59:41 AM »
First I'll say what ever you have to pay for them, is it worth saving the dough, or your life. Second, with a climber you can hook up your safety strap and climb. With steps or yes even a ladder, if late season and icy, or if like has happened to many a step pulls out, a safety line is a life saver. I buy 3/8 nylon with at least 1000 lbs test.(have to remember you are going to be moving when it stops you, inertia will almost double your weight) Cost of rope is around 15.00 for a 250' roll. I buy a dye at a fabric store, dark green or brown, what ever they have. Takes about 2 hours to deep dye the line. dye is /was about 15-20 bucks but will last a lifetime. Third learn to tie a Prusik knot (very easy) attach saftey system of choice to it.
http://ozultimate.com/canyoning/knots/prusik/

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #2 on: Dec 17, 2009, 05:42:14 AM »
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #3 on: Dec 17, 2009, 07:04:30 AM »
I use screw in pegs for the most part.some area's frown on them but i don' have an issue where i hunt. I use a lineman's belt off the harness while climbing up.once i get settled in i disconnect it. I have a home made seat that hangs from the tree like a swing. It would be near impossible to fall from it.(most guys say what the Heck is that thing when they see it). it is very light,portable and comfortable. And it is almost impossible for someone to find the pegs in the tree so they don't get stolen. I climb ladders for a living and never really thought a safety rope was needed for them but upstate has a very good point on the ice and snow. I'll see if i can get a pic of the "swing seat" up for ya.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline WhiteTail Madness

• 6 Pointer
  • Watch your step.......
« Reply #4 on: Dec 17, 2009, 02:58:53 PM »
thanks for the replys guys.  I just got to thinking about it and notived i knew NOTHING about it.  I worry about that everytime i climb out a tree, what if a step falls out, or a step breaks off, what if im climbing the tree and my climber tips out from under me, either climbing real hard barked trees or icy trees.  THanks for the information!
White tail madness... ALL .....YEAR....LONG!!<br /><br />aka Mr. Vexilar (IS) Steelie Slayer (MFF)

Offline hoythunter

• 6 Pointer
  • bad day in woods is better than agood day at work
« Reply #5 on: Dec 27, 2009, 12:12:32 AM »
i never realy thought of it either but i was climbing out of my stand and the step pulled out. i fell probably 10-15 feet broke three bones in my foot now im laid up for at least 1 1/2 more months if not more. im a hopin and a prayin that ill be able to ice fish. my son is going nuts he keeps askin me to go bunny hunting but i cant walk. definetly lookin into the safty ropes and vests.                   be safe and get some sort of safty harness dont be foolish like me i now regret it!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal