Author Topic: WHERE ARE ALL THE DEER HUNTERS???  (Read 5141 times)

Offline woodsman

• Spiked
WHERE ARE ALL THE DEER HUNTERS???
« on: Nov 01, 2006, 07:55:18 AM »
THIS NH. SITE IS JUST ABOUT EMPTY...YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THERE AIN'T NO ONE OUT THERE WITH A STORY OR A DEER KILL TO SHARE WITH THE SITE???? C'MON GUYS..I'LL BE HEADING TO ERROL FOR RIFLE SEASON ON THE 10TH OF THIS MONTH AND HOPEFULLY I WILL HAVE SOMETHING TO REPORT...GOOD LUCK EVERYONE THIS YEAR... ;D
woodsman

Offline love2fishnhuntNH

• Nubbie
Re: WHERE ARE ALL THE DEER HUNTERS???
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2006, 06:55:23 PM »
Well, I got my first bow-killed deer on saturday morning, October 7th out of a stand I set up earlier in the week pretty deep in the woods to get away from the pressure of other hunters. I can't even describe in words what getting a deer with a bow is like. I froze my butt off in stand and at around 8:10 I heard something that sounded off from all the red squirrels that had been running around all morning and I looked over my right shoulder and saw legs moving through the hemlocks. I stood right up and turned around and hooked my release on my bow and saw the deer walking towards me at an angle and thought it was a buck at first because the body looked so big in the hemlocks. Once she stepped out I saw it was a doe and that she was alone. She was walking right into my shooting lanes so i drew back and as she went through my first lane i put my 20 yard pin on her and followed her and as she entered my second lane I made a mouth call and stopped her. I put my pin a little forward because she was quartering towards me and I released my arrow and I saw it disappear into her. She ran for a couple seconds and I heard her crash. Talk about an amazing feeling! The arrow went through her and stuck into the ground about 15 inches. I double lunged her and she only ran 30 yards. A blind man could have followed the blood trail. She's beautiful and I thank God for such a gift. She weighed 122 pounds dressed.

Offline love2fishnhuntNH

• Nubbie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2006, 06:59:27 PM »
Here is a buck I shot in New York on October 14th. I shot this 9 pointer opening night. I passed on 8 does, a button buck, then had a very very big 8 pointer come by me just out of range on the first morning. I shot mine later that evening pigging out on acorns. I watched him for about 20 minutes anywhere from 6-30 yards away while he was eating acorns. I finally got presented a shot at about 15 yards and I hit him a little high and he dropped. I kind of froze for a second then grabbed another arrow and made a perfect double lung shot on him and that finished him off. My first shot actually split his spine completely right under his lungs. I held a little higher because I was VERY high in an oak with my climber. The reason I held high is because I missed a 4 pointer about an hour and a half before this guy came in, haha. I'm not going to lie, I shot right under his arm pit. It was fun watching him too, he rubbed a tree and ate a bunch of acorns before I got a shot at 25 yards. I think I missed because I was so high and I thought he was a little closer. Regardless, New York has some very beautiful country and the corn fields and bean fields are out of an artist's painting.

Offline love2fishnhuntNH

• Nubbie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2006, 07:04:42 PM »
Well, I don't know what's going on this season but my scouting and time spent in the woods has paid off. People are also starting to call me horse shoe. I filled my special archery tag on October 23rd with a nice 4 pointer, it was amazing. I set this stand up on friday in the rain and had a doe feed within 15 yards of me for about 5 minutes and finally she made her way away from me which allowed me to put my stand up. This isn't a new area to me because I took the stand out a week ago for new york but I put it back in a different spot, more so on the edge of some open and thick cover. I got in there a little later than I wanted to but I was set up by 2:30 and the woods were dead still. I heard something walking around 4 but it ended up being a red squirrel which is the norm. Around 5:40 i heard something walking to my right and I see movement in the thick stuff so I stand up and see it's a deer walking parallel to me and I saw it had at least one antler so I drew back and stopped him at about 35 yards and released on his lungs. He moved forward when the arrow hit him so i thought I hit him a little far back but he ran 5 yards and just stood still for a couple seconds then he stumbled sideways and rolled over right in front of me!!! He didn't move a muscle after that! The shot ended up being 35 yards, perfect double lung shot and the arrow stuck in the ground like I had missed him, haha. Now my freezer is going to be bulging at the seams so only antlers with a firearm! He ended up weighing 108 pounds but sure tastes good!

Offline love2fishnhuntNH

• Nubbie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 02, 2006, 07:06:05 PM »
Okay, well that's all I have so far! Anyone else out there having luck or seeing anything?  Let's get this thing going again! Good luck everyone, i wish you the best of luck during the upcoming firearms season, and be safe!  Hopefully the pictures will start rolling in!
-Chris

Offline hunter

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Nov 02, 2006, 08:49:09 PM »
Congratulations looks like your having fun,your having one of those years when you have deer all around you.Good luck with rifle season.
Let the little 8 Pt's grow up to be 10's    I Fish A Lot !!!

Offline woodsman

• Spiked
« Reply #6 on: Nov 03, 2006, 01:10:05 PM »
Well, I got my first bow-killed deer on saturday morning, October 7th out of a stand I set up earlier in the week pretty deep in the woods to get away from the pressure of other hunters. I can't even describe in words what getting a deer with a bow is like. I froze my butt off in stand and at around 8:10 I heard something that sounded off from all the red squirrels that had been running around all morning and I looked over my right shoulder and saw legs moving through the hemlocks. I stood right up and turned around and hooked my release on my bow and saw the deer walking towards me at an angle and thought it was a buck at first because the body looked so big in the hemlocks. Once she stepped out I saw it was a doe and that she was alone. She was walking right into my shooting lanes so i drew back and as she went through my first lane i put my 20 yard pin on her and followed her and as she entered my second lane I made a mouth call and stopped her. I put my pin a little forward because she was quartering towards me and I released my arrow and I saw it disappear into her. She ran for a couple seconds and I heard her crash. Talk about an amazing feeling! The arrow went through her and stuck into the ground about 15 inches. I double lunged her and she only ran 30 yards. A blind man could have followed the blood trail. She's beautiful and I thank God for such a gift. She weighed 122 pounds dressed.

THIS NH. SITE IS JUST ABOUT EMPTY...YOU MEAN TO TELL ME THERE AIN'T NO ONE OUT THERE WITH A STORY OR A DEER KILL TO SHARE WITH THE SITE???? C'MON GUYS..I'LL BE HEADING TO ERROL FOR RIFLE SEASON ON THE 10TH OF THIS MONTH AND HOPEFULLY I WILL HAVE SOMETHING TO REPORT...GOOD LUCK EVERYONE THIS YEAR... ;D
Great Job and congadulations!!!
woodsman

Offline jgguppyboy2

• Nubbie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2006, 12:12:33 PM »
well I figure i should head over here from the IC board!  My season ended on the first day of rifle with a 115lb doe taken at 130 yrds!  what a misserable wet cold day!  but she came out into the field i was set up on with 5 minutes to spare!  It was reall foggy and light was fadding fast.  there was one other doe with her and another deer i just caught a glimps of after i shot but couldnt tell what it was.  Im hoping it wasnt the 8pointer i was tryin to get. never the less i made my choice and im happy with it!  she is a beauty!

~Stefan~

« Last Edit: Dec 04, 2006, 12:27:18 PM by jgguppyboy2 »

Offline jgguppyboy2

• Nubbie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2006, 12:54:55 PM »
its all about time preparation and patience!  Go with what works!  so many times in the past years I would just walk and walk and walk!  I would see tonz of deer this way but rarely got a good shot.  and when i saw them i would walk the same are the next day instead of setting up on them!  This year my buddy and I found a new peice of woods!  we hunted it the second day of muzzle loader!  there are four very remote fields in this peice.  my buddy sat on the third feild and I sat on the near feild!  no more than 15 min from when i left my buddy to head to my feild he shot at a nice 8 pointer!  unfortunately he missed!  it was 2:30 in the afternoon and like a lot of other people wasnt expecting to see anything in the field yet!  he looked up and there he was walking through at the back of the field!  he stayed on the feild for the rest of the night.  he made his way to me with a few minutes left of light and i got a call on my cell and a voice asking me if i was on the first feild!  I confirmed that i was and he followed by saying "YOU HAVE A DEER RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU!"  there was a knoll in the middle of the feild so i sat where i could see the majority of the feild.  of course the deer came in right where i couldnt see!  I looked and looked and looked and finaly she came just into sight.  I dropped the phone and fired.  I missed of course,  I rushed it way to much,  she ran to the edge where my buddy had a long shot but couldnt connect.  the last day of muzzle we went out with a couple other guys and covered 3 of the 4 feilds.  I was on the one the 8 pointer came out in my buddy was in the last field right next to me and the other 2 were on the feild i was on the first time.  of course it was buck only now and i had 3 does come in on me and feed for about a half hour!  my buddy who was in the feild right next to me had his bow and 2 of the doe's came right through his feild but he was on the wrong side of the corner in the feild and never saw them.  the other 2 guys saw 7 doe's.  So whats the point to this story you might ask???   so many people including myself after having that kind of day would basicaly ignore it and hunt a different spot or just make a pass through the field at night.  but if you have a spot that is producing dont stop using it until it stops producing!  The best opportunities are the ones where the deer walk in on you not you walking in on the deer!

~Stefan~

Offline woodsman

• Spiked
« Reply #9 on: Dec 07, 2006, 06:38:41 AM »
well I figure i should head over here from the IC board!  My season ended on the first day of rifle with a 115lb doe taken at 130 yrds!  what a misserable wet cold day!  but she came out into the field i was set up on with 5 minutes to spare!  It was reall foggy and light was fadding fast.  there was one other doe with her and another deer i just caught a glimps of after i shot but couldnt tell what it was.  Im hoping it wasnt the 8pointer i was tryin to get. never the less i made my choice and im happy with it!  she is a beauty!

~Stefan~

Thats a might fine deer and good size for a doe...She will be good eating for sure!!!!

woodsman

Offline Thomas

• Spiked
« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2007, 11:19:19 AM »
Afternoon Woodsman.
Live in Lebanon,NH and mostly hunt in Grafton County, NH now.

Got couple pics here and there will try and post???,but most of the pics were taken before the VCR was invented.

Stories,mostly about the one that out smarted me. ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal