Author Topic: Game camera  (Read 9281 times)

Offline bassranger

• 8 Pointer
Game camera
« on: Dec 28, 2011, 10:25:12 AM »
Hey guy's looking for some reviews. I for some reason have never owned a game camera, well I got some gift cards this year and am looking to purchase one. I'm looking at camera's in the 100 dollar range wondering if any of you guy's could point me in the right direction. I understand I can't get a top of the line cuddeback for this price but there must be some decent camera's out there that fit my budget.
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2011, 10:26:06 AM by bassranger »

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: Game camera
« Reply #1 on: Dec 28, 2011, 10:39:47 AM »
For that price point the Moultrie ir-55 or the primos truth cams will be great for ya. both under 100 at walmart at least Somersworth and Rochester anyway but worth more. I am not much of a camera guy but that is what I would do. I am a get in get out undetected kind of hunter.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 28, 2011, 10:44:38 AM »
i have two stelthcam good but battery hog haven't tried ex-batterey yet :Bushnell trophy cam love it small 8AA batt's last all year little more money but well worth it

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #3 on: Dec 28, 2011, 10:51:28 AM »
My old Moultrie is going on 6 years and is still good...
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline deerme

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Dec 28, 2011, 11:57:56 AM »
in the past i used stealth cam's, but they proved to be horrible with battery life and noisy.  then i switched to moultrie I40's.  i've had them for three years now.  they are 4MP IR cams.  they are great on battery life, but they are big and they make a noise when a pic is snapped.  a lot of the pics i see from them have the deer staring at them!

i bought a moultrie M80 about a month ago.  this TINY cam is great!  it does not make a peep when it snaps a pic.  the battery life, so far, has been great.  had it out for about a month and when i checked it today there was 95% battery left.  it also takes panoramic pics.  sometimes the pics come out a bit blurry if the deer is moving somewhat fast, but i'll take that over a camera that will spook the deer.

i'll be selling my two I40's this winter and hopefully buying two more M80's.

you can find them for a bit over $100 online.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=moultrie+m80&hl=en&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1680&bih=903&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=3956821414253800969&sa=X&ei=XVf7TryqGoOgtweO54zQBg&ved=0CHIQ8wIwBTgK

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #5 on: Dec 28, 2011, 12:00:26 PM »
Check this website out, great unbiased reviews on almost all cameras.
http://www.trailcampro.com/

Offline waterfowlah

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Dec 28, 2011, 01:39:52 PM »
in the past i used stealth cam's, but they proved to be horrible with battery life and noisy.  then i switched to moultrie I40's.  i've had them for three years now.  they are 4MP IR cams.  they are great on battery life, but they are big and they make a noise when a pic is snapped.  a lot of the pics i see from them have the deer staring at them!

i bought a moultrie M80 about a month ago.  this TINY cam is great!  it does not make a peep when it snaps a pic.  the battery life, so far, has been great.  had it out for about a month and when i checked it today there was 95% battery left.  it also takes panoramic pics.  sometimes the pics come out a bit blurry if the deer is moving somewhat fast, but i'll take that over a camera that will spook the deer.

i'll be selling my two I40's this winter and hopefully buying two more M80's.

you can find them for a bit over $100 online.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=moultrie+m80&hl=en&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1680&bih=903&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=3956821414253800969&sa=X&ei=XVf7TryqGoOgtweO54zQBg&ved=0CHIQ8wIwBTgK

Ive had My M80 for about the same time and really like it.  My others are Moultrie IR55 there ok but the M80 blows them away.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2011, 02:38:01 PM »
   check on price amizon.com has for 117.80 don't sound bad price for the M-80

Offline waterfowlah

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Dec 28, 2011, 03:17:41 PM »
great camera for that kind of Money

Offline bassranger

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2011, 03:24:01 PM »
I'm considering the M80 but I did read some reviews of guy's having trouble viewing there pictures on there digital camera's.
Any problems with that deerme?   

The other one's I see that have good reviews are the Primos Truth 46 and the Wildgame IR4C anyone have either of these?
« Last Edit: Dec 28, 2011, 03:31:57 PM by bassranger »

Offline deerme

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Dec 28, 2011, 04:46:39 PM »
I'm considering the M80 but I did read some reviews of guy's having trouble viewing there pictures on there digital camera's.
Any problems with that deerme?   

no, i've never encountered any issues while reviewing the pics in the woods.  for what it's worth, i have a 6 year old pentax 5 MP digital camera. 

Offline bassranger

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:00:58 AM »
 I see they have a downloadable update for the M80 did you have to do that to yours or was that more for the older models. also I see the recovery time is slow which is no big deal just wondering how you set it up for a second picture as far as time. I read that with the update it has a 15-20 second recovery time does that mean you set it for say 30 second delay for the next picture. Hope you don't mind me firing all these questions at ya.

Offline deerme

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:11:40 AM »
I see they have a downloadable update for the M80 did you have to do that to yours or was that more for the older models. also I see the recovery time is slow which is no big deal just wondering how you set it up for a second picture as far as time. I read that with the update it has a 15-20 second recovery time does that mean you set it for say 30 second delay for the next picture. Hope you don't mind me firing all these questions at ya.

that's interesting about the update.  i didn't update mine, but i will as soon as i get it out of the woods.  i was planning on taking it out yesterday, but it's been taking pics of deer every day, and some bucks still have racks, so i decided to leave it.

i think i set it to 30 second delay between pics and one pic at a time?  i'm not positive on that though.  i believe there's also a hybrid mode where it will record video during the day and take pics at night.  i haven't tried that yet either...

halfrack33

« Reply #13 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:16:17 AM »
Bassranger - I had a truthcam 46 and returned it to cabelas. It was absolute garbage and I will never buy a primos camera again. 70% the pictures were either black outs or white outs. The pictures it did take weren't great especially in low light bc the infared lights aren't strong enough. It just makes you really mad when you leave a camera out for a couple weeks, get excited to see 300 pictures, then most can't be viewed.

I've had Moultrie cams and would go that route. I'm buying an M80 or M100 within the next week or so. A lot of times people try to view pics on old digital cameras that don't accept the newer/bigger SD cards, hence the complaints. Same thing happened with me. My older Sony can't view them but my new Nikon has never had an issue.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #14 on: Dec 29, 2011, 09:19:42 AM »
What model Sony camera do you have Halfrack?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal