Author Topic: buck down!  (Read 3511 times)

Offline deerme

• 8 Pointer
buck down!
« on: Sep 26, 2011, 07:33:25 AM »
after sitting in my stand on 9 different occasions, 2.5 - 3 hours at a time, and not seeing a deer, i knew my luck would change sooner or later.  i had jumped a couple walking in/out and heard a couple, but up until saturday evening i had not SEEN a deer from any stand! 

i had my climber hung 20 yards from a beautiful run coming out of a bedding area.  it was real thick in there and i only had a small shooting lane, but that was fine cause i knew where they'd be coming from.  this was my third time hunting this run. 

just after 6 i heard what sounded like a small branch breaking on the other side, where it was real thick.  i turned and saw a deer moving and antlers.  i never expected to see a deer in that area, far away from the run, so was completely unprepared as far as shooting windows go.  so i quickly picked a SMALL area where if he were to walk into, i could stop him and shoot.  grabbed the bow, turned toward that window, guessed the range (30 yards), drew back, and as soon as i did he was in the lane so i made a MEHHHHT sound and stopped him and released!  i had NO time to think about all the things that could go wrong...instincts took over 100%!  from the time i first saw the buck to the time i released, only seconds had passed. 

i watch the arrow sail right into him and hear a WHACK as the rage 3-blade ripped through the rib cage.  thought i may have hit him a little far back, but couldn't tell from my stand.  as soon as he left the little shooting lane i had, i couldn't see him so i had no idea where he ran.  the ground was real wet as well so i couldn't hear him.  was hoping to hear a crash, but didn't.

so i waited til 7 and got down.  took awhile to find the arrow and the exact spot where he was when i shot.  finally found it and it looked good.  got on the trail and started seeing guts which made me worried.  that didn't last, though.  had good blood the whole way.  he back-tracked once which had me shaking my head for a bit, but i got back on it.  he ended up going about 100 yards give or take.

the arrow entered low in the back third of his body and traveled to the front end and exited just below the shoulder.  i don't think any vitals were hit...probably arteries which would explain the massive blood trail. 

got him checked in, home, and hung in the cool garage.  quartered and in the beer fridge first thing yesterday morning.  not taking any chances w/ this damn heat!!!!!!

114 lb 6 pointer (couple kickers, but i can't call him an 8 LOL)

here's the only lane i had:

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: buck down!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26, 2011, 07:41:25 AM »
Way to go.....    Congratulations...................
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline Deposit

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Sep 26, 2011, 07:41:43 AM »
Congrats on the take Bass for me!

Offline LIBERAL HATER

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Sep 26, 2011, 07:42:32 AM »
Thats great Bass!!  Way to go great looking buck.  Congrats

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #4 on: Sep 26, 2011, 07:44:30 AM »
Congratulations. That's the first buck I've heard of this year. Good job getting him in the fridge.

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Sep 26, 2011, 07:52:20 AM »
congrats on the buck...fine job

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #6 on: Sep 26, 2011, 07:57:47 AM »
Congrats!! Very nice buck and story.... ;) ;D ;D ;D

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #7 on: Sep 26, 2011, 08:04:35 AM »
Congrats on a fine buck!
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline maineduckhunter

• 12 Pointer
  • 2008 8 pt.
« Reply #8 on: Sep 26, 2011, 08:08:16 AM »
Congrats!! Great Job!!!

Offline dt5150

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Sep 26, 2011, 08:50:21 AM »
nice! you're on the board man. tight squeeze too.. congrats on the backstraps my friend.

hey were you out fishin yesterday? red pontoon by welch island?

Offline deerme

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Sep 26, 2011, 08:53:13 AM »
nice! you're on the board man. tight squeeze too.. congrats on the backstraps my friend.

hey were you out fishin yesterday? red pontoon by welch island?

nope my boat has been parked since the 15th  ;D

seems like the salmon/laker bite has been hot the last couple of weeks, though!

Offline dt5150

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Sep 26, 2011, 08:58:05 AM »
ok, thought maybe it was you. we did ok.. a few fat salmon, 2 16" bows and 1 small laker. for me, it's slowed down quite a bit since july and august. still catchin fish, but not nearly as many. must be a location or technique thing... i need to hone my late season salmon skills. got the summer thing down pretty well though. yesterday was my last trip for the season. last trip in my boat too, sold it on saturday.

Offline huntny30

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Sep 26, 2011, 09:21:09 AM »
Awesome job BFM...!  First buck of the Challenge...way to go!
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid."
John Wayne

Offline 33Canuck

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Sep 26, 2011, 09:21:23 AM »
Nicely Done sir!
Nothing beats the view through a peep!

Offline mookie

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Amigo
« Reply #14 on: Sep 26, 2011, 09:28:17 AM »

well done , i hope to do the same in about 22 hours ....... ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I am entitled to possess technology equal to that of those who would threaten my liberties.  - "Wizzard of Bog"
  Hunting is a sport and supposed to be fun, and anything that takes that out of the equation I oppose with all of my being.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal