Author Topic: Gettin the itch!  (Read 11091 times)

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
Re: Gettin the itch!
« Reply #30 on: Aug 18, 2011, 07:35:04 AM »
in the early season will you guys shoot any legal deer or will you wait for mr. big? myself personally its just a time to get out before duck/bird/woodcock season starts here in maine and to take the pressure off and put meat in the freeezer for the year. being a self employed cocnrete and log home contractor generally speaking i dont get much time to play during october either.  i do take as much time in novemeber to hunt speciffically for big bucks in maine and nh though. sept 15th, ill kill about anything w/ bone w/ my bow

Offline dt5150

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #31 on: Aug 18, 2011, 08:38:00 AM »
well we can't shoot does here in nh for the first two weeks of the season. sept 15 is opening day but we can't shoot a doe until oct 1st. i'd shoot a good buck if given the opportunity of course, but i'd probably hold off on shooting a spike during this period. i'd rather give em a chance to grow, but that's just me. i'd wait the 2 weeks and whack a nice doe, then hold out for a good buck.

Offline dt5150

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #32 on: Aug 18, 2011, 09:41:12 AM »
how do you like that reinhart target btw? my block 4x4 has about had it from all the broadheads i've shot into it. those reinharts seem kinda small...

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #33 on: Aug 18, 2011, 10:34:55 AM »
yea i know we can shoot a doe after the 1st.  i dunno if ill have anytime to hunt through october and if i do it will be w/ my pointers and a sxs 20ga. during rifle season i always wait till the last week before ill shoot anything w/ a small rack me or nh but in the early bow season, heck, they are all trophys w/ a bow

Offline deerme

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #34 on: Aug 18, 2011, 10:47:52 AM »
right on whackah, if i see a buck from 9/15 on and it presents a shot, it gets a shot.  you can take two bucks w/ your bow in NH, so even if you take a tasty spike you can still hold out for the late october 12 pointer.

although, i'd have a very hard time NOT shooting another tasty spike, but i'm out for meat, not bone  ;D ;D

rineharts are THE BEST 3d targets, but they are very pricey.  don't shoot 'em up w/ broadheads, they won't last....

Offline dt5150

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #35 on: Aug 18, 2011, 01:51:56 PM »
don't get me wrong... if a spike is giving it to me, more than likely i'll let one fly.   ;D you gotta take the opportunities you get cuz you might not get another one!

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #36 on: Aug 18, 2011, 04:14:33 PM »
I will use my any deer archery tag on any adult deer for meat but my special archery and firearm tag only get used on studs, I dont mind going without if I gotta.

DT yes, my bow is quieter, and I can see better. The reinharts are the best targets in the world period.No other target can take the punishment and still look new and last forever. They are pricey though about 200 bucks.

Like anything broadheads will shorten life expectancy but it will still last longer than any other target there is. Yes they do run small but I got the big ass one as you can see in the pic. I got it at Brians a while back, its not the little ones you see in front of his doors.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline dt5150

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #37 on: Aug 19, 2011, 08:10:27 AM »
yeah i've been thinkin about getting one of those, the block one not the 18. the 18 is too small for me. i think dick's sporting goods sells em now too. i could use a new target though. the outside layer of my block 4x4 is pretty much gone. once the season starts, i only shoot b-heads, but maybe that'll change after the super tune job from brians. if my field tips hit dead on with my b-heads, i won't need to fling b-heads at targets as much. i have heard great things about those reinharts though.

glad you're liking the bigger tubeless peep. it really is the way to go. you'll gain a few fps too which never hurts.

Offline dt5150

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #38 on: Aug 19, 2011, 08:32:20 AM »
oh, and btw, i had a doe, a spike, and a small basket rack 6 pointer in my backyard food plot this morning   :D

Offline deerme

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #39 on: Aug 19, 2011, 08:41:13 AM »
DT, what are you shooting for broadheads?

Offline dt5150

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #40 on: Aug 19, 2011, 10:16:35 AM »
100gr. magnus 4 blade buzzcuts primarily. i did mess around with the 2 blade bloodrunners last year, killed 2 does with them. great head.. but i like those buzzcuts the best.

Offline deerme

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #41 on: Aug 19, 2011, 11:12:03 AM »
a shot muzzy fixed blade my first year and i could never get my field tips to match the broadheads, which makes sense i guess...

since then (last four years) i've been shooting 3-blade rage.  i can swap from field point to practice broadhead to broadhead and the arrows will all shoot the same!  and rage broadheads do some serious damage....last year i was 6 for 6 w/ the rage!!!  4 deer died w/in sight, one went 200 yards and the other i had to track for quite awhile, but i think that's because i got on it too soon.

another good thing about the rage broadheads is you can buy the replacement blade kits instead of buying all new broadheads.  prior to each season i'll take all of my used broadheads apart and sharpen or replace the blades.  i'll go into the season w/ 12+ broadheads, most having been shot before, but all razor sharp!  and during the season i can shoot field points at targets w/out touching my site...

Offline dt5150

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #42 on: Aug 19, 2011, 11:24:40 AM »
i've never tried rage heads, or many mechanical heads for that matter. i guess i'm a fixed blade guy.. like i said, i did use the 2 blade bloodrunner last year and was very impressed. they fly great and make a helluva set of holes. just for KISS reasons, i just like knowing for sure that i'm not gonna have a problem or a failure etc. just me though.. that said, i would like to try a rage, just for kicks. if my bow is properly tuned, my buzzcuts hit right with my field points too. i do like to practice with what i'm going to hunt with though. but i say whatever kills em and whatever you have confidence in, use it.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #43 on: Aug 19, 2011, 03:26:13 PM »
I agree DT I am a fixed guy too. I lover my 100 gr. G5 strikers! I did shoot the rage 3 seasons ago and went 3 for 3 and all fell within sight and one quartering away hole I could fit a pepsi can in. I even had a doe completely bleed out within 15 yds.

I just didnt like the fact of what the head looked like upon retrieval, broken blades or folded over tip. I got scared thinking about what would happen when I numbed a stud in the shoulder with them.

Hey BFM? Those lap dog Jersey deer dont count  ;D :P
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline deerme

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #44 on: Aug 19, 2011, 07:09:47 PM »
Hahaha!!!  It would be a lot easier to pass on them if they didn't taste so damn good mmmmmmmmmmmmm......

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal