Author Topic: Gettin the itch!  (Read 11088 times)

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
Re: Gettin the itch!
« Reply #15 on: Aug 16, 2011, 01:30:49 PM »
ytou wont lose any accuracy at all. especially if you have a round sight gaurd.  its just like a peep on a rifle, your eye will automatically cent the large apature around the smaller round pin gaurd. my peep is 5/15! also the peep i shoot is adjustable has 5 screw in apatures, perhaps thats something to look into. it was 70$ but i have had it through 6 bows now and will keep it forever. its called the 'super ball peep' by specialty archery. i can post a pic if you want. def lose the tube though and gain back 10-15 fps

Offline dt5150

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #16 on: Aug 16, 2011, 02:43:49 PM »
yup, i use a kisser button. i anchor off the tip of my nose. i like the kisser because it really helps me get the anchor position right at the moment of truth. i tend to get a bit excited... kisser button helps make sure i anchor right. i can easily stack em inside a dixie cup at 20. i've heard that smaller peeps do tend to be more accurate because of the smaller "sight window", it's more focused so to speak. but honestly, i'm just a accurate with the g5 meta than i was with any smaller peep i ever had. and if you like to shoot with both eyes open (so do i), you'll love a larger peep. BUT! you MUST have a quality string on your bow. if you don't, your peep will rotate around on you. with a good qualiy string it'll settle in nice and be perfectly lined up on every shot.

Offline deerme

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #17 on: Aug 16, 2011, 03:23:08 PM »
$70 for a peep sight?!?!?  DAMN!!!!!! 

i go w/ the larger g5 inline peep as well.  no complaints, it gets the job done.  i started w/ the rubber tube deal but grew too concerned about it malfunctioning and ditched it...

i haven't shot the hoyt all summer due to yard work...ok, due to fishing.  picked it back up the last two weeks and have it dialed right back in!  i can't wait for the 15th!!!!!!!!!!

oh and i had my bow super-tuned at brian's last year.  they fixed it right up and had the arrows in the same hole at 20 yards.  the guys at that shop know their archery...i was VERY pleased w/ the job they did...definitely worth the $$.  i'll run it through the 2011 season and send it back for another tune and string/cable replacement over the winter...

Offline dt5150

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #18 on: Aug 16, 2011, 03:29:51 PM »
good to hear. my local shop can get it set up, but they just don't have the equipment and the know-how to do what brain's does. my bow was new last year so i wanted to bring it to brians to make sure the cams were aligned, they're timed properly, axle to axle is correct, etc. i'm upgrading from a tired whisker biscuit to this new trophy ridge revolution drop away so it should make a big improvement both speed and accuracy wise. love the biscuit, been huntin with it for 10 years, but it was time for an update/upgrade.

and i hear ya on the fishin thing! since i started catchin em finally, i'm out there every weekend! my chores list is getting longer and longer...  ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 18, 2011, 09:35:32 AM by dt5150 »

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #19 on: Aug 16, 2011, 04:35:56 PM »
Great info guys! I would lov to see a pic of that peep tallywackah. I will check into the g5 ones too. When you say quality string DT, did you put on an aftermarket one or would the string that is stock on my Hoyt Katera be fine?
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #20 on: Aug 16, 2011, 08:37:54 PM »
winners choice, by far the best! i have two, both shot in, ones a back up. ill take a pic of that peep tomarrow

Offline Step2Jimi

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #21 on: Aug 16, 2011, 10:38:18 PM »
My peeps pretty big not quiet sure prolly a 1/4. And i can deffinetly stick arrow after arrow in a dixie inside 20 yards. But im not sure iv heard of this tube. and too me it sounds like it could make a lot of sense. Limiting what your looking threw to see something so small should just lesson the chance of alignment problems. maybe not i dontk know but im going to look into it becausae i like the idea.

Offline dt5150

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #22 on: Aug 17, 2011, 07:51:58 AM »
honestly i couldn't say for sure if hoyt strings are of good quality, i've never owned a hoyt. i do know that stock pse strings aren't.. i went tubeless on my last pse bow with a stock string and had all kinds of peep rotation problems. every 3 or 4 shots the peep would be in a different place (twist) at full draw. fixed that with a new set of winners choice strings. call brians and ask em about hoyt strings. tell em you're thinkin about switching to a tubeless peep and had some concern about the stock string. now on my current bow, the destroyer, the stock strings are very good quality so i could use a tubeless peep w/out any issues. hoyt may be the same way..

Offline TallywackahME

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #23 on: Aug 17, 2011, 09:27:23 AM »
here is the peep apature wide open, you can see the threads

here is a few of the thread in apaptures w/ diff. size holes

and here is a pic of my pin gaurd. most these days are round anywyas but it works some sweet for alignment and anchoring. i took the sttupid level bubble off too. that thing was in my way and i have no use for them other then 3-d and im dont use this set up anyways

Offline deerme

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #24 on: Aug 17, 2011, 09:51:14 AM »
that's quite the peep whackah!  very cool!  i've never heard of such a thing...

+1 on the winner's choice.  they keep the inline peep as straight as possible. 

frank i did have issues w/ my hoyt factory string keeping the inline peep straight, but that was before i had a good pro shop fix 'er up.  i would like to think brian's would be able to install the inline peep and have it straight using the hoyt strings...after all, hoyt has the best bows on the market ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline dt5150

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #25 on: Aug 17, 2011, 10:33:50 AM »
if you do have them put one in, shoot it about 30 times before you leave. it will rotate a little as you first start shooting. they may need to put it in the press and rotate the string a little to line it up again. they may have to do it more than once. shoot as many arrows as you can before you take it home.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #26 on: Aug 17, 2011, 04:13:38 PM »
Hey guys just got back from Brians!

That peep is def. the cats ass Tally! I am def. considering that one if all goes well with this new one I just got, thanks for posting the pics very helpful.

I went with the G5 meta, man was I missing out or what? I had Seth put it on only 12.99 not bad for a start I will look into this 80 dollar one later if all goes well.

I went with the 3/16 as it was like a whole world bigger than what I had and I can still see the whole circle pin guard like Tally says, I have the almost same sight actually I now see what you mean about the lining up.

I didnt see this post before I went so hopefully it doesnt spin on me, I shot it out back and I was 8 in. high but fixed that quickly. I will go for 30 shots tonite after dinner and if it turns I will go back.

Thanks again for all the help, I will post some pics tonite!

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #27 on: Aug 17, 2011, 05:09:09 PM »
Keepig my fingers crossed still no turning!

I already got my grouping back 3 arrows touching at 23 yds. from the corner of my porch. Thanks again guys, I didnt know what I was missing, heres a few pics.....

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #28 on: Aug 17, 2011, 09:05:12 PM »
I guess that's alright but................. Just Kidding Buddy,Good shooting. ;D ;D
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline dt5150

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #29 on: Aug 18, 2011, 07:21:23 AM »
excellent, i'm proud of ya! i imagine your bow is a bit more quiet now too? those tubes make quite a bit of noise. i think mine's a 3/16 too now that i think about it.. "hunter's peep" i think g5 calls it. been a few years, hard to remember. but you can see soooo much better now can'tcha?  ;D it'll be great in low light. just make sure you check it before every hunt when you first get up in your tree. nock an arrow and draw it back just to make sure everything is correct. welcome to the "light" side!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal