Author Topic: Cam, Deer and Coyote!  (Read 7845 times)

Offline newfound

• 6 Pointer
Re: Cam, Deer, Fisher, and Coyote!
« Reply #15 on: Sep 17, 2010, 12:29:07 AM »
Hopefully there is more bucks around.
Last year we had a bunch coming to this location and then they just dried up....
I didn't bow hunt them, cuz I'm trying to get my two kids(11 and 14) in the 'Hawkeye'.  .45 cal Rossi Muzzleloader with 75gr T7 and 195gr. Powerbelts.
However, I realized after the season, that the kids can use a tag at the back of the rulebook.  They don't have to use my tag....  Doh...
I'll be hunting heavy this year.  With and without them.
I'll post pics from last year.  Some nice bucks last season, but only one Doe.  I hope to see more doe in the CAM this year.  Maybe the bucks will stick around during rut.

This is at my dad's property in Auburn.  I have a bunch in my backyard in Derry too.(I don't hunt my backyard much, as there is already way too much pressure).
Our hot spot in Dunbarton just outside Clough was bought a few years ago and posted...  I requested access from the current owner, but was denied.  stinks, cuz the place produced 8 pointers year after year for my dad and I.   Those of you that know me also know I spend a lot of time on Newfound.  I've been trying to locate spots around Bristol that hold decent sized deer.  Seems food sources are scarce and even though I've found a few spots that hold quite a few deer, they seem to all be just average size.
I hope to check out some other spots I know around Stinson Lake.  To hunt on weekends when at the lake.

I'll post some pics from last season in Auburn.

NB
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2010, 12:41:02 AM by newfound »

Offline newfound

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #16 on: Sep 17, 2010, 12:38:15 AM »

NB

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #17 on: Sep 17, 2010, 03:19:20 AM »
Very nice pics.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #18 on: Sep 17, 2010, 04:49:10 AM »
Great pictures....
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline newfound

• 6 Pointer
Re: Cam, Deer and Coyote!
« Reply #19 on: Sep 17, 2010, 06:55:41 AM »
And those that state the Coyote looks groomed.
I agree!
However, I'd say from my experience of the area that this is not a domesticated dog.
We've seen dead coyotes/coydogs on the side of the road a few houses down.  Some with the darker almost black coat...
The animals in this area are very healthy looking creatures..  Deer/turkeys/coyotes/fishers/fox.
My kids and I while in the stand, have seen both silver and red fox come to the apples at dusk.
I've seen quite a few animals in my day, and these were the furriest/fluffiest fox I've ever seen.
If that "Coyote" is someones dog, the owner needs to be educated.... Let your coyote/wolf looking dog roam the woods without a collar....  :'(

NB
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2010, 07:06:06 AM by newfound »

Offline deerme

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #20 on: Sep 17, 2010, 07:56:31 AM »
nice pics newfound!  now...to find them in the daylight!!!   ;D

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #21 on: Sep 17, 2010, 08:08:24 AM »
And those that state the Coyote looks groomed.
I agree!
However, I'd say from my experience of the area that this is not a domesticated dog.
We've seen dead coyotes/coydogs on the side of the road a few houses down.  Some with the darker almost black coat...
The animals in this area are very healthy looking creatures..  Deer/turkeys/coyotes/fishers/fox.
My kids and I while in the stand, have seen both silver and red fox come to the apples at dusk.
I've seen quite a few animals in my day, and these were the furriest/fluffiest fox I've ever seen.
If that "Coyote" is someones dog, the owner needs to be educated.... Let your coyote/wolf looking dog roam the woods without a collar....  :'(

NB

I don't think any of us were questioning If it was a coyote or not.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #22 on: Sep 17, 2010, 08:12:24 AM »
I noticed that the Buck in picture #3 of the last set has the same "sleek" look as the coyote. It may just be the camera angle with the flash.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #23 on: Sep 17, 2010, 08:29:34 AM »
Good pics!!
Including the "coyote"!! Which it is, I agree with Raquette about the coat transition.

Offline newfound

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #24 on: Sep 17, 2010, 09:10:01 AM »
nice pics newfound!  now...to find them in the daylight!!!   ;D

No kidding!  ;D
Went hungry last season.  But didn't hunt much. 
Only three deer seen during legal hours.  All at the same time.  Doe with two offspring...one button buck and one fawn.
Called them all within 15yrds of my then 10yr old boy.  He'd never shot the muzzleloader before.  However, I did let him shoot at the closest one. (100lb button buck).  I could see he pulled high on the trigger.  I know, very bad dad.. Make sure your kids are proficient with the firearm before letting them shoot at game.  But they were close and we were out in the open sitting on the side of a hill.
I guess I could have kept calling them to see if the young one would come up to us.  :).
We've since joined the Pemi Valley shooting range in Holderness. :-)  The 11 yr old Boy is now quite proficient with my Saiga .223, but still working with him on the .45cal Muzzleloader
My 14yr. old daughter has always been able to shoot the .45 well, but as luck would have it, I've not been able to call in anything in the past 3 yrs while hunting with her.  I fear she's starting to lose interest.  Major excitement for her last season around clough, was to see two bull moose fighting over a cow.
I really need to get it done this season I think.
I'm toying with the idea of letting my boy use the .223 on youth weekend and during rifle season in rifle towns.
I'm well aware of the disadvantages of 22cal bullets on medium game.  I've been eyeing youth .243 and .260 bolts for him.  However, he shoots the .223 extremely well and I feel quite comfortable letting him take deer using the 62g. Barnes bullets. Corbon or BlackHills
I'm still working on getting him more comfortable with the .45 muzzleloader.  I train the kids with one 50g pellet so they don't develop any bad habits.  But unknown to them, load up with 75g of triple seven while hunting.
We'll be at the Pemi range again this weekend.

Good luck to everyone this season...
« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2010, 09:15:44 AM by newfound »

Offline ramrod

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #25 on: Sep 17, 2010, 12:00:46 PM »
I think that's a Pine-apple on the left.
lol r u crazy? that is clearly a soft mapple!!! ;) :) 
If vegetarians love animals so much, why do they eat all their food?   

Offline meppsfan

• Nubbie
« Reply #26 on: Sep 18, 2010, 10:20:51 AM »
Very cool pics!

Offline huntr-

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #27 on: Sep 18, 2010, 01:21:58 PM »
I am looking at the face and the length of the face on the coyote. I hunt them and this one seems to have more of a wolf structure ( longer muzzle). I know its difficult to make a good decision with only one picture .

Offline newfound

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #28 on: Sep 18, 2010, 06:51:48 PM »
Interesting article on coydogs or 'coywolfs'.
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.scientificamerican.com/media/inline/blog/Image/MOD_Kays_coyote_wolf_coywolf_2.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.scientificamerican.com/blog/post.cfm%3Fid%3Dwylie-coywolf-the-coyote-wolf-hybri-2009-09-23&usg=__iTx8wfe-mJPOw7qHO1TGgeTTCzs=&h=450&w=450&sz=85&hl=en&start=32&zoom=1&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=CIRPp-nvS8XkCM:&tbnh=127&tbnw=127&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dnh%2Bcoyote%26start%3D20%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1R2ADRA_enUS340%26ndsp%3D20%26tbs%3Disch:1

There are a number of coyotes/coydogs in the area...  To the point I'm giving serious consideration take up coyote hunting.
A large pack came through the yard last winter.  We didn't count how many sets of tracks in the snow, but there was a healthy pack.

Also, a local farm was said to have had a cow die, and the carcass brought out and left in the woods of East Derry.(heard second hand, I can't confirm)  This brought in a pack of coyotes/coydogs.  And was a major concern for many locals in the area. leaving pets and children in their yards unattended.
I've taken a few trips to Charmingfair Farm in Candia so I know what a Wolf looks like from viewing the ones they have on display.
I've seen an animal about 13 yrs ago in a neighbors back yard, that was darker and larger like a shepherd.  I swear it was a wolf.
It looked just like some of the Wolves at Charmingfair.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #29 on: Sep 19, 2010, 07:33:32 PM »
If you are considering taking up coyote hunting I suggest you do! not only will it help your local deer herd but its a lot of fun, and you can go whenever you want. I would estimate I shoot around 25 a yr. and personally I dont think we have hardly any coydogs but thats just my opinion I have never actually seen anything to prove that. This article is interesting though but it doesnt say anything about coydogs just coywolves, which it has been proven by bioligists that are coyotes do indeed have wolf dna in them but down are way I dont see it feasable to be 50/50. Just something to think about and I respect anyone elses opinion on the subject.
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal