Author Topic: bird hunters  (Read 8202 times)

Offline jibbs

• Forked
bird hunters
« on: Sep 26, 2009, 06:19:53 PM »
just wondering who hunts birds on this site......i know most of you are probably locked in on the bow season, but is anyone looking forward to bird hunting.......love hunting patridge and pheasant....hard to find them down south, but when i head home to the north country i make sure i bring some shells.....tons of birds up there......good luck
Chuck Norris doesn't bathe like the rest of us. The only baths Chuck Norris takes are bloodbaths

Offline Tumper

• Spiked
Re: bird hunters
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2009, 06:23:42 PM »
I do most of my patridge hunting around Massabesic and Little Massabesic.

For Pheasant Allenstown or Wear

Offline knurren

• 6 Pointer
  • New Hampshire's alright if you like fighting!
« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2009, 07:23:26 PM »
Hey Jibbs, I just spent 8 days in Clarksville.  I saw a lot of birds, even more turkeys than I've seen before too.  Unfortunately, WMU A has NO fall season so they got to walk.  I saw 2 this morning, both of them would be dead if today was Oct. 1 (Partridge that is)

I will be out scouting moose in WMU D2 Saturday and/or Sunday and one of the days I was there, we bumped into 7 of them.  Some may meet my skillet Saturday if I'm lucky enough to bump into some again.

I'm still bow hunting, but that doesn't mean I won't take the opportunity to harvest one of the best tasting birds out there.  There is a nice tom turkey in Unit D2, which makes him fair game also :)

Happy Hunting.
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2009, 06:57:04 AM by knurren »

Offline jibbs

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Sep 28, 2009, 11:37:39 AM »
Hey Jibbs, I just spent 8 days in Clarksville.  I saw a lot of birds, even more turkeys than I've seen before too.  Unfortunately, WMU A has NO fall season so they got to walk.  I saw 2 this morning, both of them would be dead if today was Oct. 1 (Partridge that is)

I will be out scouting moose in WMU D2 Saturday and/or Sunday and one of the days I was there, we bumped into 7 of them.  Some may meet my skillet Saturday if I'm lucky enough to bump into some again.

I'm still bow hunting, but that doesn't mean I won't take the opportunity to harvest one of the best tasting birds out there.  There is a nice tom turkey in Unit D2, which makes him fair game also :)

Happy Hunting.
i had a zillion turkeys in my yard on friday.....almost let the dogs out....that would of been interesting.....looking forward to going up north to hunt......columbus day weekend.....
Chuck Norris doesn't bathe like the rest of us. The only baths Chuck Norris takes are bloodbaths

Offline bassranger

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Sep 28, 2009, 12:30:36 PM »
i had a zillion turkeys in my yard on friday.....almost let the dogs out....that would of been interesting.....looking forward to going up north to hunt......columbus day weekend.....
are you gong up to berlin

Offline bassranger

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Sep 28, 2009, 12:35:04 PM »

Happy Hunting.
Did you get a moose permit

Offline knurren

• 6 Pointer
  • New Hampshire's alright if you like fighting!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 28, 2009, 02:29:10 PM »
Did you get a moose permit

Jiffyman and I are guiding a couple people from Pennsylvania in that unit who have a antlerless only permit.  I'm working for tips but really just want the experience.  I'm still very green when it comes to hunting so the more experience I get the better.  I'll have my bow with me while scouting in case I can opportunistically harvest a deer or a turkey.

How has your scouting in G been going?  You seem to know that area fairly well already.  There are some very good moose there and I'm sure you'll have no problems filling that tag.  Good luck.

Offline huntnfish

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2009, 02:44:05 PM »
I think this year is going to be good for the partridge and rabbits. I was picked for the moose hunt last year in D1 and my wife was my sub. she ended up getting a 2 1/2 year old bull on the first sunday. that D1 and D2 area holds a lot of moose. that should be a great experience for you knurren.

Offline bassranger

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Sep 29, 2009, 08:01:27 AM »
Jiffyman and I are guiding a couple people from Pennsylvania in that unit who have a antlerless only permit.  I'm working for tips but really just want the experience.  I'm still very green when it comes to hunting so the more experience I get the better.  I'll have my bow with me while scouting in case I can opportunistically harvest a deer or a turkey.

How has your scouting in G been going?  You seem to know that area fairly well already.  There are some very good moose there and I'm sure you'll have no problems filling that tag.  Good luck.

Its going good. My Dad is my sub and he lives in the zone. We have seen alot of cows and calves and a few nice bulls along with a monster bull we got on camera. They are just now starting to come into rut and are sightings have been way up. We like to get to a scouting spot at daybreak and just listen, the cows are starting to get vocal. We checked a spot Sunday morning where we have a stand set up still from last year. We heard 3-4 cows 1 bull calling back and another bull in the bushes racking his horns on the trees so we set a camera and got out of there. The G zone is really coming to life on the moose count, Alot of logging has been going on over the past years. I would rather hunt G than any other zone for sure, The only down fall is there is a lot of permits in this area. I am super excited for the hunt and am feel good about our chances.
  If you haven't already get your self a cow call and bull call and don't be afraid to use it, If there in the area you will know it as they are very vocal animals during the rut.

Offline jibbs

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Sep 29, 2009, 10:16:35 AM »
are you gong up to berlin
want to go

Offline bassranger

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Sep 29, 2009, 11:31:31 AM »

Offline Adrock

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Sep 29, 2009, 12:39:34 PM »
Looking very forward to the upcoming bird season.  I have spent the last 10 months trying to train Cannon, my yellow lab to be a good bird dog.  I guess I'll find out this weekend how I have done training him.  He only turned 1 yr. on Sunday so I know there will be lots of learning and mistakes for the both of us, but I can't wait to get out.

6 months old at training with his first bird (Chukar)

About a year old here.  Can't wait to get out.  Headed to my camp in Maine this weekend hopefully we'll get into some birds.  Plan on trying to hunt some of the pheasant release sites.  Anyone have any luck with them?  They probably get pounded pretty hard.

Offline huntr-

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Oct 06, 2009, 08:54:48 PM »
Only been out three times but got my limit all three times.Even got two hens with on shot ! Believe me when I say it was pure luck because I only saw one . Dog has pointed plenty of woodock .

Offline jibbs

• Forked
« Reply #13 on: Oct 07, 2009, 08:37:56 AM »
Only been out three times but got my limit all three times.Even got two hens with on shot ! Believe me when I say it was pure luck because I only saw one . Dog has pointed plenty of woodock .
i have been out 3 times and haven't seen squat.....haven't hunted my areas yet though.....i have just been messing around the camp and the house......going back home to the north country for the weekend to stay with some friends.....should be fun.....

Offline Adrock

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Oct 07, 2009, 06:42:03 PM »
I was thinking about hunting some of the pheasant stocking areas this weekend.  Do you guys know if they have these areas marked in some way with signs or something?  Just don't want to find myself bumping into some angry land owner.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal