Author Topic: Decent season so far for us  (Read 4510 times)

Offline benny8

• Forked
Decent season so far for us
« on: Nov 02, 2022, 03:24:58 AM »
So far this season, we've seen close to 40 deer while out hunting and a ton more while driving. We took a trip to VA to visit the folks on Columbus Day. Sarah still had a valid license from our trip last December to hunt with Dad. So, she put it to use while we were there. She took a yearling doe with her new Wicked Ridge crossbow. A week later, she notched her first NH archery tag with a button buck. Muzzleloader arrived and she was on the smoke stick. No luck during the weekend. We've been dealing with some issues at home with our daughter and scumbag boyfriend and things came to a head on Sunday. I had planned on being home on Monday as he was coming to get the rest of his junk. I decided for various reasons, it might be better to go out for some tree stand therapy. This was spur of the moment decision. Well, i was enjoying my peace and quiet from 4pm until 530. Thats when this nice doe decided she wanted to take a ride home in the back of my truck. I thought the shot looked good, but with the smoke from the muzzy, I never saw her leave, but could hear her running off. When I got to the hit site, I found some hair that looked white in the fading light. My heart sank. I picked it up and realized it was body hair. I had to slowly pick my way along as there were multiple spots of kicked up leaves and very spotty blood. I was beating myself up on the entire blood trail. The blood wasn't what you would expect from a deer shot thru the boiler room. I had been on this blood what seemed like forever. Once I put on my head lamp, the blood seemed to pop right out as it shined. I tracked a bit further and the last spot I found was a pin drop. From there, there was three likely trails of kicked up leaves. Down the first one, no blood. Back to last blood. Next one, no blood. Rinse, Repeat. As I came back to last blood I was literally reaching for my phone to call my good friends from Working Class Canine blood trackers when my head lamp caught a glimpse of an eye. She was dead about 6 feet to my right. The shot was perfect. There was a ton of blood where she lay. All I can think of, was she was running so fast, that is why she didn't leak much. Not to mention her heart was destroyed. Actual total time from shot to finding her was less than 40 minutes. It seemed like forever to me. Called the wife and told her that I found her. Called my brother and asked him if he could give me a hand. He picked my wife up and grabbed the jet sled. I thanked her and the good Lord for blessing me with this deer. I gutted her and tagged her and started dragging to the snowmobile trail. It was a very therapeutic evening.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: Decent season so far for us
« Reply #1 on: Nov 02, 2022, 04:20:05 AM »
Keep
Up the good work! Great write up and season. Congrats to you both
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline lv2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Nov 02, 2022, 06:02:44 AM »
Congrats on a pretty good season so far now to go out and get a nice buck for your wall!! good luck.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2022, 06:48:00 AM »
Very nice.👍👍
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #4 on: Nov 05, 2022, 09:30:30 AM »
Congrats good start hopefully the luck continues.

Offline tubeslinger

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Nov 05, 2022, 12:34:46 PM »
Nice work filling the freezer. Congrats

Offline benny8

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Nov 08, 2022, 03:27:27 AM »
Thanks everyone! Getting my daughter out for the rifle opener Wed and Thursday. She hasn't hunted in a few years due to work schedule. Hoping we can get her some meat in her freezer.

Offline swnoel

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Nov 08, 2022, 07:36:16 AM »
Nice job!

Taken 2 bucks so far with my crossbow! It's been a crazy season so far... good luck to all.

Offline Adrock

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Nov 09, 2022, 10:59:48 AM »
Nice job! Been a slow season for me, haven't gotten out nearly as much as I'd like to, work, family commitments, etc. keep hindering my time out. Perfect this morning for rifle opener but couldn't get out of work stuff. Looks like another shot of warm weather and rain on tap for this weekend then things normalize a bit.

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #9 on: Nov 10, 2022, 07:49:21 PM »
Thanks everyone! Getting my daughter out for the rifle opener Wed and Thursday. She hasn't hunted in a few years due to work schedule. Hoping we can get her some meat in her freezer.

Good luck !

Offline Huntnfish603

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Nov 15, 2022, 04:27:52 PM »
Way to go. Nice write up. Glad to hear of the success for both of you.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal