Author Topic: Muzzleloader Opinions  (Read 3797 times)

Offline vtpike

• Spiked
Muzzleloader Opinions
« on: Oct 26, 2014, 10:15:27 AM »
Hey everyone. VTPike here...quess I should change my name to nhpike seeing I've lived in enfield for a year now. The wife wants her own Muzzleoader this year. Wanted opinions on best entry level muzzleloader on the market. Think we are between T/C impact and CVA wolff..any opinions, reaction other ideas? I'm all ears.

Thanks!

Offline myemmy

• 8 Pointer
Re: Muzzleloader Opinions
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2014, 10:51:12 AM »
I. Myself and four or five frends have the wolf. Great gun, great price,!!

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2014, 05:12:46 PM »
I'm a T/C man myself but like how the hammer is much much more easy to get at and pull back on the Wolf .....
I have the Encore It's a lot more money and I love it 
« Last Edit: Oct 27, 2014, 06:24:23 PM by Green Mountian Hunter »

Offline nhxbowhunter

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2014, 06:18:53 PM »
hey there, I work in the field where I sell guns and other outdoor equipment, bows, rods , reels etc. The CVA wolf is a ten time better gun. Smooth trigger pull, bergara barrell and a super smooth removable breech plug. The new T/C is a poor representation of what T/c has always stood for. Workmanship and quality. The new T/C has neither. CVA is a top notch gunmaker. I live in NH and have always been a T/c shooter. I own a black diamond, what a great firearm, shoots great. A little time consuming to clean. But you can't beat the shootability . With all that said, Price , quality, workmanship, I give CVA the edge.Something has gone amiss since T/C hooked up with smith & wesson . Sorry, but It's MY opinion is all .
AND ON THE 8TH DAY GOD CREATED WHITETAILS

Offline bassranger

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2014, 07:13:18 PM »
hey there, I work in the field where I sell guns and other outdoor equipment, bows, rods , reels etc. The CVA wolf is a ten time better gun. Smooth trigger pull, bergara barrell and a super smooth removable breech plug. The new T/C is a poor representation of what T/c has always stood for. Workmanship and quality. The new T/C has neither. CVA is a top notch gunmaker. I live in NH and have always been a T/c shooter. I own a black diamond, what a great firearm, shoots great. A little time consuming to clean. But you can't beat the shootability . With all that said, Price , quality, workmanship, I give CVA the edge.Something has gone amiss since T/C hooked up with smith & wesson . Sorry, but It's MY opinion is all .
Unfortunately for T/C you are not the first person I have heard say their guns are not what they once were.

Offline vtpike

• Spiked
« Reply #5 on: Oct 27, 2014, 11:14:59 AM »
Thanks guys! Looks like the CVA wolf is the choice. Appreciate the help!

VTpike and ReelNurse!

Offline Squirrel

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 27, 2014, 12:50:35 PM »
missed this thread wish i saw it sooner.... I hunted with my CVA wolf last yr (bought it second hand) was cleaned and sighted in perfect with no issue. opening day of muzzleloader at very first light i had a deer at 20 yards and the hammer wouldnt lock back so i had to let the deer pass. on another hunt later that week with the same wolf when i put the primer in and closed the break it fired (luckily gun was held in a safe direction) it never showed sign of anything like this prior when sighting it in and maybe something wasnt right with that specific gun, but i will never own one again. a friend of mine also had similar issues with his. Just my two cents. good luck
known as "waterwolf603" on MFF and "coldsteel" on ice shanty

Offline Buckwild

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Oct 27, 2014, 07:26:22 PM »
I like CVA for the $ .I Have the optima and is 6 years old. Paid $ 199 at Walmart and never had a problem with it.Very dependable. Was going to put a scope on it but was hitting the bulls eye at 60 yds with open sights.Good luck with your choice.

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #8 on: Oct 27, 2014, 07:30:46 PM »
TC circa Massachusetts is junk now, recall in waiting. Was a diehard TC guy but will never buy one again. CVA Accura or LHR Redemption and never look back. I live 10 mins. From the old TC factory, real shame…
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Squirrel

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Oct 28, 2014, 06:20:23 AM »
TC circa Massachusetts is junk now, recall in waiting. Was a diehard TC guy but will never buy one again. CVA Accura or LHR Redemption and never look back. I live 10 mins. From the old TC factory, real shame…

what about traditions? are they any good?
known as "waterwolf603" on MFF and "coldsteel" on ice shanty

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
« Reply #10 on: Oct 28, 2014, 10:40:40 AM »
They've come a long way I still will stick with cva or lhr
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline duckey

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Oct 28, 2014, 02:13:04 PM »
My muzzleloader is a TC Grey Hawk, .50 cal, percussion, side hammer, iron sights.  Very accurate, reliable.  I like the simplicity of the gun and how basic it is compared to an inline.  I do wish it had a blued barrel and wood stock but I bought it years ago with a different mind set.
A. White

Offline bassranger

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Oct 28, 2014, 07:10:34 PM »
I have a older T/C firehawk 54 cal. Don't use that gun much. Its real picky on the loads and amount of powder. Have a hard time being very accurate with it. My other muzzleloader is a Knight and I really like the gun it has always been dependable for me. Wouldn't say its a tack driver at 100 yards but I also haven't taken the time to play around with different loads to see what it likes best. In the 5 years that I have owned it I have taken at least one deer per year with it and have yet to miss one(Knock on Wood).

Offline bikrsrule

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Oct 29, 2014, 04:02:19 AM »
I am with bassranger, I have had a Knight since 1997 and although I have taken a number of deer with it I have to admit missing a couple. Mine is a tack driver at 50 yds but at 100 it does open up a bit, very reliable though when it comes to firing every time. Saw a real nice used one at the local gun shop so I picked it up just to have a spare in case someone wants to try muzzleloader hunting, its got a scope on it and its all sighted in..Who knows?..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal