Author Topic: Lets Talk Mock Scrapes  (Read 7122 times)

Offline Squirrel

• 8 Pointer
Lets Talk Mock Scrapes
« on: Sep 29, 2014, 11:05:45 AM »
what do you guys use to make them? Do you take a stick to stir up the dirt and scrape it up? I was thinking about using code blue this yr does anyone use it or have any thoughts on it? I plan on a week or two before the opener of firearms season to start making a couple and checking them every couple days is this good practice or should i set it and forget it until the opener? I know alot of questions but this is something that I have never played around with and was curious if you guys do this and have success with it.
known as "waterwolf603" on MFF and "coldsteel" on ice shanty

Offline aquaassassin

• 30 Point Buck
  • AIM SMALL... MISS SMALL
Re: Lets Talk Mock Scrapes
« Reply #1 on: Sep 29, 2014, 11:18:38 AM »
Start the mock scrapes now, the real ones are popping up all around my stands already, use a stick and get rid of the stick after avoid as much human scent as possible and if you don't have a licking branch above it you are wasting your time. This time of year I like young buck urine to provoke a dominant bucks territorial attitude to kick in then around the last week of October I will start playing with estrus
It's not being cocky if you can back it up!

Offline Squirrel

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Sep 29, 2014, 11:22:18 AM »
Start the mock scrapes now, the real ones are popping up all around my stands already, use a stick and get rid of the stick after avoid as much human scent as possible and if you don't have a licking branch above it you are wasting your time. This time of year I like young buck urine to provoke a dominant bucks territorial attitude to kick in then around the last week of October I will start playing with estrus

you the man Frank thanks.. Licking stick? so you are saying make sure i make the mock scrape under a small spruce or hemlock where there are overhanging branches?

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #3 on: Sep 29, 2014, 11:38:40 AM »
I experimented with it last year. I made them with a stick and all had licking branches.  I got the most pictures over the one I put doe urine on. Got lots of pics of does and fawns as well on it. I used my own urine in one and dominate buck in the other not a noticble difference in amount of deer visiting. A lot of the pics were at night and almost all muture bucks that visited were at night.

Offline Squirrel

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Sep 29, 2014, 11:43:22 AM »
I experimented with it last year. I made them with a stick and all had licking branches.  I got the most pictures over the one I put doe urine on. Got lots of pics of does and fawns as well on it. I used my own urine in one and dominate buck in the other not a noticble difference in amount of deer visiting. A lot of the pics were at night and almost all muture bucks that visited were at night.

awesome input man thank you

Offline bassranger

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Sep 29, 2014, 01:03:55 PM »
I made a couple near a few of my stands over the weekend. This time of year I just pee in them. Last year I had bucks take over most of the scraps I made. Once it gets close to the rut I spray them with buck bomb doe estrous. Had my chance twice last year at bucks that had taken over a scrape that I had made. Unfortunately I whiffed on both. 

Offline Squirrel

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Sep 29, 2014, 01:55:40 PM »
Good stuff bassranger ill give it a try. hope you smoke a monster this yr to make up for it, you already are having a banner year

Offline Adrock

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Sep 29, 2014, 03:33:39 PM »
Great topic.  Awesome info, I'll have to give it a try, I've always thought about it but never sure how it would work. 

Offline Squirrel

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Sep 30, 2014, 05:51:35 AM »
does anyone have more info on the whole licking stick idea? I remember seeing broken branches above most all scrapes I have found in the woods.

Offline bassranger

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Sep 30, 2014, 06:11:51 AM »
Bucks rub there forehead glands on the stick or branch to leave a scent behind. I see alot of scrapes under hemlocks with a branch that hangs down around 4ish feet off the ground. So thats where I make my mock scrapes. They probably make a scent you could by to rub or spray on the licking branch i don't know i have never looked into it, but I bet it would help.

Offline Squirrel

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Sep 30, 2014, 06:16:29 AM »
awesome thanks man

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #11 on: Sep 30, 2014, 06:51:08 AM »
They also will lick/nibble on the end of it.  I'm not sure why they do Iv just watched them somebody on here will probably know. I'd assume it's something to do with scent.

Offline dt5150

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Sep 30, 2014, 07:53:54 AM »
i don't use any urine in mock scrapes other than my own. i had one that i started last year, was a very busy scrape. bucks and does were both hitting it around the clock. come the first week of november, i put some code blue standing estrous in it. well that was a mistake.. the scrape went stone cold immediately after while another scrape i made less than 50 yards away was still very active. no more fake scents in scrapes for me.

the only scent i will use on a scrape now is paul pollick's pre-orbital gland sprayed on the licking branches. did a test last year. side by side (about 50 yards apart), the scrapes with it drastically outperformed the ones without it. i just use that, and my own urine (and scuff up the ground of course). 

Offline Squirrel

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Sep 30, 2014, 08:17:02 AM »
i don't use any urine in mock scrapes other than my own. i had one that i started last year, was a very busy scrape. bucks and does were both hitting it around the clock. come the first week of november, i put some code blue standing estrous in it. well that was a mistake.. the scrape went stone cold immediately after while another scrape i made less than 50 yards away was still very active. no more fake scents in scrapes for me.

the only scent i will use on a scrape now is paul pollick's pre-orbital gland sprayed on the licking branches. did a test last year. side by side (about 50 yards apart), the scrapes with it drastically outperformed the ones without it. i just use that, and my own urine (and scuff up the ground of course).

awesome some great info can you get that gland scent anywehre or is it a particular store that offers it?

thanks for the intel

Offline dt5150

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Sep 30, 2014, 08:55:59 AM »
you have to order it online. i've never tried smokey's brand pre-orbital gland (their competition), but paul pollicks is way cheaper and it comes in a spray bottle which makes for super easy application.

http://www.deerlures.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal