Author Topic: Illegal?  (Read 7020 times)

Offline mtwhite

• Nubbie
Illegal?
« on: Oct 24, 2007, 08:24:42 AM »
I wouldnt mind taking a day off from the big game and go blast some tasty chickens, now if  a buddy without a licence wants to come sit in the truck with me
while I drive around just for company,no shooting involved for him is that still illegal?

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
Re: Illegal?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2007, 08:38:36 AM »
In NY someone can accompany you in the field as long as they don't have a weapon and they don't shoot anything.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline tughillmcd

• Spiked
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2007, 09:37:12 AM »
In NY someone can accompany you in the field as long as they don't have a weapon and they don't shoot anything.
Not exactly. In NY they can't assist you in anyway.
This is the definition from NY's 2007-2008 hunting regulation guide.
"To hunt—means to pursue, shoot, kill or capture (other than trap) wildlife and includes all lesser acts that disturb or worry wildlife whether or
not they result in taking. Hunting also includes all acts to assist another person in taking wildlife."

So if someone flushes a bird or jumps a deer, rabbit etc while you are hunting they are considered to also be hunting whether or not you shoot or attempt to shoot that animal.

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2007, 10:05:17 AM »
It should be ok as long as they are along to watch otherwise, everytime someone takes their kid with them it would be illegal.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline deerme117

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 24, 2007, 07:53:20 PM »
Not exactly. In NY they can't assist you in anyway.
This is the definition from NY's 2007-2008 hunting regulation guide.
"To hunt—means to pursue, shoot, kill or capture (other than trap) wildlife and includes all lesser acts that disturb or worry wildlife whether or
not they result in taking. Hunting also includes all acts to assist another person in taking wildlife."

So if someone flushes a bird or jumps a deer, rabbit etc while you are hunting they are considered to also be hunting whether or not you shoot or attempt to shoot that animal.

But New York also says this.

You may continue to assist other hunters after you have filled all of your tags, as long as you do not shoot or attempt to shoot a deer. "Being afield with slugs after filling your big game tags is illegal; carrying a centerfire rifle may be considered evidence of attempting to shoot deer.

This seems confusing, thanks New York State

Offline BIG NINE!!!

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 24, 2007, 10:20:08 PM »
If you have a valid hunting license but are tagged out you can participate in drives, filming, tracking, etc., but you cannot shoot unless someone signs a doe tag over to you, but you can only accept two doe tags. Kids can go and view, but again they cannot participate in the hunt. I wish someone would have told my dad that when he used to tell me to go beat the brush in that patch of woods. I did love doing it though and probably made a lot of difference in the hunter I am today!!!

Later,
BIGNINE!!!
Later,
BIG NINE!!!

Offline tughillmcd

• Spiked
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2007, 05:23:36 AM »
First we are discussing NY regs in a British Columbia thread which is probably the wrong place to do it. deerme117 & big nine I agree with what you say about continuing to assist after filling your tags, but the original question was about an unlicensed person accompanying a hunter and the advice was as long as they don't have a gun or shoot it should be OK. My post was to possibly help someone from NY that read that and assumed an unlicensed person can accompany you without question while hunting is not true.

As for kids in the field with you, I do take my son with me in the field. Is it actually legal? I don't see that clarified in the book you receive with your license but that is a guide not the actual law books. I would believe that most ECO's will not have a problem with a parent mentoring their underage children in the sport but I believe that certain ones will quote the laws as they read literally and write it up. Even so I will continue to take him with me as it is some of the best quality time we spend, discussing nature and all it's beauty and it part of his rights of passage as I see it.

Now with that said I believe that we should let mtwhite solicit information from people that can help him with his situation and any further discussion about NY's regs should be addressed in the NY board where they belong.

mtwhite I apologise for your thread being hijacked. You may want to call the provincial authorities that regulate hunting and ask them. Sometimes I write e-mails to NY DEC so I have a written response if I ever needed it. Good luck and enjoy the chicken's either way.

Offline mtwhite

• Nubbie
« Reply #7 on: Oct 25, 2007, 08:04:37 AM »
First we are discussing NY regs in a British Columbia thread which is probably the wrong place to do it. deerme117 & big nine I agree with what you say about continuing to assist after filling your tags, but the original question was about an unlicensed person accompanying a hunter and the advice was as long as they don't have a gun or shoot it should be OK. My post was to possibly help someone from NY that read that and assumed an unlicensed person can accompany you without question while hunting is not true.

As for kids in the field with you, I do take my son with me in the field. Is it actually legal? I don't see that clarified in the book you receive with your license but that is a guide not the actual law books. I would believe that most ECO's will not have a problem with a parent mentoring their underage children in the sport but I believe that certain ones will quote the laws as they read literally and write it up. Even so I will continue to take him with me as it is some of the best quality time we spend, discussing nature and all it's beauty and it part of his rights of passage as I see it.

Now with that said I believe that we should let mtwhite solicit information from people that can help him with his situation and any further discussion about NY's regs should be addressed in the NY board where they belong.

mtwhite I apologise for your thread being hijacked. You may want to call the provincial authorities that regulate hunting and ask them. Sometimes I write e-mails to NY DEC so I have a written response if I ever needed it. Good luck and enjoy the chicken's either way.
I wonder where all the B.C.boys are?

Offline BIG NINE!!!

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Oct 25, 2007, 08:58:42 AM »
MTwhite,
Sorry for the thread hijack!! I guess I didn't pay close enough attention to the top of the page that clearly says British Columbia.
I got thrown off when a I saw the first response and assumed it was a NY question.

Good luck on the chickens!

BIGNINE!
Later,
BIG NINE!!!

Offline Terrygonefishing

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Feb 24, 2010, 06:59:16 PM »
Sure he can come along with you as long as he doesn't handle the firearm you should be good. I wouldn't even let him handle the chicken....just in case ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal