Author Topic: new spots  (Read 1359 times)

Offline ifishhi

• Forked
new spots
« on: Aug 11, 2006, 07:48:50 PM »
when your looking at new ground on a map what do you look for to find a good place to start for deer? thanks

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
Re: new spots
« Reply #1 on: Aug 11, 2006, 11:19:02 PM »
personally i dont trust maps, i like to get out and find food, water and beds before setting up a good spot, a map only shows so much, you need to be there to see natural funnels and such, you could find a good spot on a map and get there to see its blocked or all brush, you may be off by 100 yards, then waste the day finding a better spot when you could have known all that by not looking at the map, as far as general idea? fields, cover? ridges? etc...

Offline devil-man

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Aug 12, 2006, 01:23:11 PM »
Topo maps are a good place to start.
Gullies, ridges, water, bottlenecks, etc.

Arch also mentioned that you can't rely on maps for everything.
I agree with him 100%. You have to get your boots dirty.
It's easier to escape from a chain gang than a food chain...

Offline sbfpa_Mike

• Forked
  • Everyone has a goal
« Reply #3 on: Aug 12, 2006, 01:41:59 PM »
Maps are invaluable for getting a mental picture and understanding of an area before you ever step foot in it. You have a good idea about roads, farms, rivers, lakes, creeks, hills/mountains, and a plethora of other geographical information. Once you have a decent idea of the topography of an area, the next step is to drive the area. You need to find out about the layout of roads that create borders and staging points. This will also locate farms and livestock areas not on your map. At this point, you can get out on foot and get the pinpoint detail of the area you want to hunt.

Mike
If you can catch it,  trap it,  jig it,  or kill it,  there is a place to talk about it.
Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Offline ifishhi

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Aug 12, 2006, 02:29:39 PM »
thanks guy's. i know i have to look on foot ,but with the price of gas i'm trying to pick an area on the map to start.then  find a place to look in that area.

Offline roscoe

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Aug 23, 2006, 09:34:33 PM »
Look for the least amount of roads ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal