Author Topic: Does anyone else bring a Book  (Read 5537 times)

Offline sbfpa_Mike

• Forked
  • Everyone has a goal
Does anyone else bring a Book
« on: Aug 06, 2006, 07:09:03 AM »
I was reading one of Archs' posts and I saw he brings a Gameboy with him when he hunts. I have brought a book with me before. I don't like to bright pages rustling, but I seem to sit longer and more still. I love to be in the woods, but I get bored and antsy. A guy can only burn holes through the same chickadee so many times. Maybe I have ADD, but I like having a distraction. I think it also sharpens my hearing by tuning out the seeing. What do the rest of you think?

Mike
If you can catch it,  trap it,  jig it,  or kill it,  there is a place to talk about it.
Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
Re: Does anyone else bring a Book
« Reply #1 on: Aug 07, 2006, 09:06:40 AM »
lol, the gameboy is usually always in my bag, i have 3 kids that hunt with me and it works wonders to keep kids quiet and out in the woods a litle longer, plus its not bad for those afternoon lulls when your alone ;)

Offline carphunter

• Forked
« Reply #2 on: Aug 07, 2006, 11:21:09 AM »
Sorry about this one Mike, If you need a book or gameboy while hunting your missing out. I agree with kid's it would help as last year I took a dvd player to the stand the first day of deer season but I also took my 3yr old son along to use it. I wouldn't begin to be able to count the number of animal's I've seen and shot and with my nose in a book or something i'd have never seen them.
       Jim
AKA carpcatcher

Offline sbfpa_Mike

• Forked
  • Everyone has a goal
« Reply #3 on: Aug 07, 2006, 05:56:36 PM »
Well Jim, I can say that some of the places I have hunted haven't been the best. Maybe I am lazy, maybe I just didn't have the time to really put in to finding a better place to hunt. Sure, I could miss animals, but I surely can't see them at the house. I get really antsy sitting in a tree stand; the places I hunted were very small and didn't facilitate still hunting. If can combine my love for the outdoors and my love for reading, I guess I count myself lucky.

Mike
If you can catch it,  trap it,  jig it,  or kill it,  there is a place to talk about it.
Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Offline carphunter

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Aug 08, 2006, 05:24:20 AM »
I guess you have a valid point there Mike. The only thing I enjoy reading are post's on these three sites. I never was a big fan of reading. The biggest thing is to make sure you do everything you can to have an enjoyable trip to the wood's every time you go out and if a book or whatever else make's that happen then do it.
        Jim
AKA carpcatcher

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Aug 08, 2006, 10:44:10 AM »
i am also antsy, thats why i love to still hunt and track game, it keeps me moving, i have a tree stand and a blind but i rarely use either one, except when the kids are with me, also i build a few ground blinds in dead falls and such during squirrel season so when the kids are with me for only a half a day during deer season i dont have to lug the blind

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Aug 08, 2006, 12:42:49 PM »
I could never take a book or anything with me. But that's just me. I just sit and try to think of every scenario in which my hunt may play out. But on the other hand...I've  seen and shot more deer as I was taking a bite of a sandwich or a drink of water...so maybe I should spend more time not paying attention  ;D
Adam

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Aug 08, 2006, 01:07:40 PM »
I could never take a book or anything with me. But that's just me. I just sit and try to think of every scenario in which my hunt may play out. But on the other hand...I've  seen and shot more deer as I was taking a bite of a sandwich or a drink of water...so maybe I should spend more time not paying attention  ;D

3 years in a row i have shot a deer sitting down for a smoke break, lol 3 years ago and 2 years ago i shot 2 deer while smiking, never put the smike out either, last year i could have had a 3peat but my gun jammed, it was just a small buck anyhow, maybe 10" spikes ???

Offline xrhino

• Nubbie
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
« Reply #8 on: Aug 08, 2006, 01:15:30 PM »
I'm not very good in a stand or blind.  I'm one of those people that is always jiggling my leg up and down or something in everyday life so I have a tough time sittling still when hunting.  So I still hunt the majority of the time, which serves me much better.  It gives me more things to concentrate on and I don't start spazing out.

I still sit all day on opening weekend.  The only way I've found to sit still for two days is audiobooks.  I put a couple on an MP3 player and I can sit all day.  It feels a little like cheating and I may have missed a deer or two over the years because of it, but no more than I would have were I fidgeting around like an idiot.  You do what you have to in order to stay out there.

I only listen to books that will put me in the right frame of mind anyway.  Jack London, Hemingway, John Krackauer and other man v. nature stuff like that.

Offline Bobman

• 6 Pointer
  • Shoot him now, shoot him now!!!
« Reply #9 on: Aug 08, 2006, 09:59:46 PM »
I've never taken anything with me on stand before, it's really never occurred to me before.  I actually find more than enough going on around me to keep myself occupied.  I enjoy watching all the wild life around me from the field mice popping in and out of the leaves, to squirrels grabbing pieces of my apples or granola bars, to the chickadees landing on my gun barrel or hat.  I think that trying to sit still enough to have the squirrels and birds come close enough to touch them has helped me overall to sit still on stand.  My Dad is the one who got me started doing that when I was young to try to keep me still on the stand with him.  I actually look forward more to what I might see in the woods that the actual hunting
Their comin' right for us!

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Aug 09, 2006, 10:32:55 AM »
how many of you have taken a nap on stand?

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Aug 09, 2006, 11:30:56 AM »

Intentionally????   ;D  I fell asleep once due to too much partying the night before. Realized I couldn't/shouldn't be in a tree, climbed to the top of a hill and sat by a tree only to wake up and see a nice doe sneaking in front of me. She tasted great  ;D
Adam

Offline OTIS

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Aug 09, 2006, 11:56:06 AM »

I woke up one time with my head down on the railing of my treestand, drooling on a doe.  Sad but true.

Offline sbfpa_Mike

• Forked
  • Everyone has a goal
« Reply #13 on: Aug 09, 2006, 12:19:14 PM »

:P Mike

Offline Pikeguy

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Aug 09, 2006, 12:48:57 PM »
Adam

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal