Author Topic: Stripped trees  (Read 1942 times)

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
Stripped trees
« on: Jun 14, 2006, 06:44:22 AM »
This is bad. I went over to my farm and in the past week the Forest Tent catipillars have stripped a lot of my trees bare. My sugarbush, my apple orchard, and my oak trees were hardest hit. As I was walking through the woods it sounded like it was raining but actually it was catipillar crap. There were so many of them. I went to retrieve my trail camera and it was just covered in forest tent catipillers. I got the film developed and they must have triggered the sensor from crawling across it. I've never seen them this bad and we may have to skip sugaring next year because of the stress this is putting on the trees. Any one else having this trouble?
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline xrhino

• Nubbie
  • Chicks dig blaze orange!
Re: Stripped trees
« Reply #1 on: Jun 14, 2006, 02:05:47 PM »
I feel for you, but I clicked the link because I thought it said "strip tease."  I need to pay closer attention! ;D

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Jun 14, 2006, 04:03:37 PM »
Two years ago the trees near my wife's family's camp (St. Lawrence County) got nailed by caterpillars.  You could stand outside at midday, and it sounded like a steady light rain was falling.  It was a rain, but of caterpillar crap.   >:(
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline Out4Trout

• 8 Pointer
  • Out4Bucks in November
« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2006, 04:39:23 PM »
Wow, I never heard of them being so thick that their droppings sounded like rain. We've had a few around here but nothing like that. Those stupid Japanese Beetles are the pests that have caused havoc with my wife's shrubs and rose bushes over the past few years. They haven't shown up yet this year, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.  >:(

Offline dogfish

• Spiked
« Reply #4 on: Jun 15, 2006, 11:38:05 AM »
My folks live over in St Lawrence Co (Cranberry Lk.). Missed them last year it was bad between Star Lk and Harrisville.  This year my folks have them bad.  All the leaves are gone and they don't even want to go outside.  The history books say this same thing happened back in the 50's so it is not a new event.  Friends that have a sugar over in Pitcaren had them bad last year but still managed a good spring run this year.  They say that if you get the caterpillars 2 years in a row don't tap the trees for a year or two to get them healthy again.

FrankM

« Reply #5 on: Jul 26, 2006, 11:40:12 AM »
We live in southern Erie County and we got hit with little green inch worms in June.  They ate 2/3 to 3/4 of all the leaves off of all the trees in our area, maple, oak, cherry and ash.  While they were there all you could hear was their chewing.  My yard, gutters and cars were covered with pieces of leaves and my boat had worm poop 1/4" deep everywhere.  If those little monsters come back next year I'll have to buy a sprayer.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal