Author Topic: 7mm  (Read 3017 times)

Offline icefishnh

• Nubbie
7mm
« on: Apr 04, 2006, 03:29:48 PM »
what do you guys think?  good for deer or too much?  id rather have too much then not enough.

-Dave

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
Re: 7mm
« Reply #1 on: Apr 04, 2006, 04:21:22 PM »
i got a few buddies that use 7mm, its all in the bullet ???

Offline icefishnh

• Nubbie
« Reply #2 on: Apr 04, 2006, 04:25:51 PM »

i thought shot placement?   ???    ???

-Dave

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Apr 05, 2006, 06:48:29 AM »
You might lose a bit of meat on the otherside of the deer but it shouldn't run anyplace after you hit it.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline dogfish

• Spiked
« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2006, 07:03:22 AM »
I have one, a rem 700 BDL.  Nice gun and have killed a couple whitetail bucks with it up in the Adk's (have a hunting camp up around Tupper Lake)  It is a lot of gun for a deer, too much? I would say no unless you never plan on going anyplace elts to hunt.  I took mine Caribou hunting a couple of years ago and the extra reach and energy over the -06 came in handy up around Hudson Bay.

Offline carphunter

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Apr 05, 2006, 07:25:07 AM »
In my oppinion it is the shot placement. I have guy's that I hunt with that use 243's and they are much smaller than a 7mm and man do they blow the heck out of a deer if the shot isn't in the proper spot. I've got a 300 win. mag last year for taking on a bou hunt and it's not to big for deer if you shoot them right "behind" the shoulder. NO it doesn't knock them down on the spot but they don't go very far. I butcher all my own deer so I know how bad a shoulder shot ruin's meat. I'm kind of a middle of the road hunter, I pass up smaller ones but when I shoot, I want all the meat that I can get so I guess my answer to you is No, the 7mm isn't to big for deer.
         Jim
AKA carpcatcher

Offline woodsman

• Spiked
« Reply #6 on: Apr 05, 2006, 09:33:29 AM »
  I would have to say yes...to much...You would be better off with an 06 or 308 even the 280 0r 270 is a perfect deer rifle..with the 06 you have the option for a larger grain size for the bigger game such as elk ,moose or bear...you will have way less meat damaged using these caliburs...
woodsman

Offline Cargo

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Apr 05, 2006, 01:29:16 PM »
I totally agree with woodsman, I guided deer and antelope hunters in Wyoming. The problem I saw with the 7mm rifle. It did a great job if you hit good bone it tore up a lot of meat. If you hit no bone it would shoot right through them. Any of the other rifles are good choices that 06 will do it all. If I could only own one rifle that would be it.
« Last Edit: Apr 05, 2006, 02:46:55 PM by Big Ice »

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Apr 05, 2006, 06:31:05 PM »
i thought shot placement?   ???    ???

-Dave

true, but also the bullet grain as well, shot placement is a given on any gun

Offline woodsman

• Spiked
« Reply #9 on: Apr 06, 2006, 06:35:05 AM »
true, but also the bullet grain as well, shot placement is a given on any gun
    I agree on the shot placement being important but if you are off just a little the damage to the game will not be as severe with the 06 as it would be with the 7mm...the 165 grain bullet in the 06 i have found to preform exceptionally well...
woodsman

Offline Cargo

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Apr 06, 2006, 03:23:24 PM »
icefishnh,
             First of all I would like to say I am in no way  an authority on this subject. These are some of my personal feelings. I agree with arch. with the right load and the proper shot placement it will do the job everytime.
            I just had some bad luck taking hunters with the 7MM rifle. Mostly shooting through game. My son and some of my friends shoot 30/06 rifles and I have seen how well it preformed in the Field on animals from Antelope to Bear and Elk.
            The rifle I shot for years until I got into archery more was the 270. Last year I did not get my Deer or Antelope with my bow. So i took out my old Win. model 94 lever 30/30. I was trying to make hunting a little more challenging.
            So that goes to show you how much sense I have. But! Big But here. I will post some pic's on this site of the two animals I harvested with it sometime.  I was amazed how well it did it's job. again shot placement.

Offline icefishnh

• Nubbie
« Reply #11 on: Apr 07, 2006, 06:42:42 AM »
ok thanks guys. i've given up on the 7mm and am thinking about a 308 or maybe, just maybe, an 06. i am staying away from the 270 as i have heard many stories about the bullets going too fast and just zipping through the animal.  thanks guys

-Dave

JimP

« Reply #12 on: Apr 07, 2006, 06:55:53 PM »
Nothing wrong with a 7mm as a deer rifle. Be mindful of the load and shot placement, is all. For long distance shooting, such as some of those big southern cotton fields, a rifle like the 7mm  or even .300 mag is ideal, as they are flat shooters.  -Jim

PS> The .270 is one of the best deer cartridges ever designed. Try reading some of the gun books written by  Jack O'Connor!
« Last Edit: Apr 07, 2006, 06:59:37 PM by JimP »

Offline the wizard

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Apr 22, 2006, 08:05:41 PM »
I would like to offer my $.o2.  The 270 is a great cal. for deer, I don't own one but have been around them and saw the effectiveness.   I use a 243 and sometimes a 7mm and like both, but the thing that makes the difference is the type conditions you hunt and what other game besides deer you might pursue in the future .
  All cal. can be tuned for your needs by changing the wt. [grain] of bullet and style like boat tail, core lock, softpoint,ect.
 It all boils down to what you are comfortable with and what you want to spend for ammo, then practice...
 Practice leads to confidence , confidence inturn leads to good shot placement, and from there well you see where I'm going.
   Good luck with your choice
      >>>>--------> 2014 Venison Villans

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal