Author Topic: When did you guys start hunting  (Read 5527 times)

Offline adkRoy

• 12 Pointer
  • Beware, the Ghost Deer are going to get you!!!!
Re: When did you guys start hunting
« Reply #15 on: Sep 30, 2005, 12:02:14 PM »
about age 10 my I begged and pleaded with my dad until he finally took me me along deer hunting. We didn't get anything (with amount of noise I made this is not a surprise) but is was fun just to sit in the woods and spend time with him.
Tresspassing on my land is bad, Tresspassing on my land with an ATV will get you shot!

Offline Dave H

• Nubbie
« Reply #16 on: Oct 18, 2005, 08:43:52 AM »
I suppose I first started hunting when I was about 9 (trapping Rabbits ) & I went Pro at 15 .I've been nothing but a PH ever since But now I have a couple of step kids comming up through the ranks

Dave

Offline fishboy

• Spiked
« Reply #17 on: Oct 18, 2005, 08:59:04 AM »
I started ice fishing or at least pulling on the tip-up line @ 2 on Oneida Lake and have not missed a duck season since I was 6.  I'm 35 now. I started deer hunting when I was 16, took my first deer with  a bow at 19.  An old Darton WH300 ahhh I still have that old baby.

T

Offline need2hunt

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #18 on: Oct 18, 2005, 12:18:14 PM »
I started when I turned 10 and got my first pellet rifle.  Mostly birds, ground squirrels and the odd prairie chicken until I was old enough to take the .22 for jack rabbits.  Then because my family wasn't into hunting I didn't hunt big game until I was 22.  Since then I've introduced my dad to hunting and my little brother has started to hunt as well.
If it can't get done outdoors, it isn't going to get done!

Offline Wkules

• Forked
  • Always be sure of your target!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 18, 2005, 01:10:39 PM »
I've been around shooting and hunting since I've been old enough to walk. I started target practicing at the age of 7. Started in the woods as an "observer" with Dad and relatives since the age of 11. And got my junior archery license the first year I was old enough, which was at 15. Got a small doe the first day and it made the local paper as there were only two deer reported in our area (Allegheny State Park in NY) for that weekend. I guess all the waiting and practice paid off.
I've been obsessed with hunting and fishing my whole life!
Nothing better than dawn in the field!

Offline deerslayer92163

• Forked
« Reply #20 on: Oct 19, 2005, 11:33:56 AM »
i didnt have a father or relatives that hunted so i went my first time when i was 14 but my son has been out with me every year squirell and deer since hes been 4 he loves it so i hope he doesnt turn into a typical teenager and do his own thing
hes also had a fishing pole in his hand since he could hold it about 9 months old

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #21 on: Oct 19, 2005, 04:33:24 PM »
I'm 33, and I'm finally heading into the woods for the first time this year.  I'm sure one of the first things I'll do is kick myself for wasting the last 20 years.
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline FRED/PA

• Nubbie
« Reply #22 on: Oct 19, 2005, 06:36:41 PM »
 Got my lic. at 10 and even got a Pheasant that year. My dad put a drive on for me when I was 12 and got my first buck a 4 pt now 35 years later I still get just as exicited as I 'm now looking for # 19
AKA THE Spud

Offline killditrite

• Forked
« Reply #23 on: Oct 21, 2005, 04:35:12 PM »
my dad took me hunting for the first time when i was 10. i was so pumped. i was finally becoming a man.  :D  went on to hunt many years with my dad and he was there for most of the deer i shot . we have both since retired from hunting but now my son is a teenager and thinks he might want to hunt. because of the residential growth we have had here in southern maine, i no longer feel safe hunting with a rifle. even though hunting fatalities are relatively low i still dont like it. but once upon a time i loved it...lived in the woods for 2 mos LOL every year!!will always cherish those memories with dad  :)

Offline Out4Trout

• 8 Pointer
  • Out4Bucks in November
« Reply #24 on: Oct 21, 2005, 08:15:05 PM »
Started at legal age 10. I'm the yougest of five brothers that hunted, so I was iching to go. My dad used a 32 special. It was all scarred up and had a kentucky style stock on it. It hurt to shoot it - when you're 10 anyway. He has passed away now, but I still have the 32.

Offline MoosemanKris

• 6 Pointer
  • Tight Lines ans Straight Shooting
    • Silvertip Archers
« Reply #25 on: Oct 24, 2005, 12:10:48 PM »
Before that I just hunted around the yard shooting squirrels with a pellet gun

That's exactly how I got started at the ripe old age of about 10. I always went out with my dad for chickens and moose before that. At 12 I got my hunter card, my big bull draw and my first bull 8) 35" spread and 5 points by 7. Biggest one in my family ;D Since then I've not taken much but I've been in on a few bulls and a calf. I'm up to nine chickens so far this year but I've almost had a monster 4 point mulie, a 3 pointer and a smaller 2 point buck. Ahhhhh the joys of bowhunting in thick BC bush.......so close.
Sounds like your boy is on the right road TGF......keep him out there!
KRIS
Bagged to date:
9 grouse
6 squirrels
1 MIA Rabbitt

Offline Little Brown Dog

• Spiked
« Reply #26 on: Nov 02, 2005, 02:34:51 PM »
Let's see... When?  It was the fall of 1987 still have the license.  First thing I got was a squirrel, then a duck, then a turkey...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal