Author Topic: Nice Curves  (Read 118524 times)

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
Re: Nice (Re)Curves
« Reply #180 on: Sep 04, 2013, 09:34:39 PM »
Been shooting a lot at 20 yds and out to 25 the last couple days, really makes the 15 yd and closer shots easy. Feeling really confident to hunt with the recurve now, still have 3 weeks to practice. Now I need to start shooting from an elevated position so I can hunt from a treestand, don't think it will be an issue as long as I bend at then waist.

Tried the 100 grain NAP Nitrons(3 blade, 1 1/16" mini broadheads) that I like to hunt with from my compounds; too bad they discontinued them. They are flying real nice out to 20 yds, and based on the way they penetrate into the target I'm thinking they would work fine. I have some 100 grain Magnus Stinger Buzzcuts on order and plan on hunting with them this year.

Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #181 on: Sep 09, 2013, 09:31:48 AM »
Things are really coming together now that I am shooting at longer distances, really the best way to get better because it magnifies your mistakes. I am really getting confident to hunt with my 45lb Hunter now. Here's a nice group at 20 yds:

A couple pics of the bow, really like the looks of this bow:

Checked my brace height yesterday, it was getting a bit louder and bare shafts were showing a little too weak; the string has settled and lost about 1/16". Added 4 twists and its back to 7.5", that quieted it down, bare shafts flew great, my groups got better and most importantly the arrows were hitting the target harder; finding tune really matters with these bows now that I have my form down.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #182 on: Sep 09, 2013, 09:48:34 AM »
looking good man, I found a nice little hiding spot to use my recurve this year hopefully get it done before all the other hunters get there
Take a Kid outside...

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #183 on: Sep 09, 2013, 09:52:41 AM »
Wow..   Great looking bow..
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #184 on: Sep 09, 2013, 10:57:38 AM »
Group looks tight. Hope to see a pic of you and a deer with the recurve this season.  8)

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #185 on: Sep 09, 2013, 12:52:14 PM »
Thanks all.

Just bought(won) another recurve on eBay. Was thinking of buying the same one new but this one is hardly used and the price was right. Its very similar to the Hunter, a 45# Martin Mamba, 58" AMO length as opposed to the 62" Hunter; same woods, bubinga and shedua but the pattern is reversed. Want to use it in the blind, mostly for turkeys. These bows are addictive, now I need to find or build a rack to hold them all. ;D
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #186 on: Sep 09, 2013, 05:07:38 PM »
I did it again, heard that familiar crack, shooting from 15 yds. ;D

Time to fletch up a few arrows; good thing I have another dozen on the way, be here tomorrow.
« Last Edit: Sep 09, 2013, 05:51:21 PM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #187 on: Sep 10, 2013, 05:38:30 AM »
Sweet bow and great shooting JJ. Shot my Bear a few times this summer. Can still hit the target at 20.....But no robin hoods in my future..... ::)
Will be a nice journal entry when you shoot one this fall with traditional. Culmination of a lot of hard work.

Offline Deadeyez

• 6 Pointer
  • Bow Hunting Addict
« Reply #188 on: Sep 10, 2013, 04:23:43 PM »
Robin Hood!!  ;)
THWWWACK         Never Back Up Never Back Down

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #189 on: Sep 11, 2013, 12:47:11 PM »
Thanks everybody.

Sweet bow and great shooting JJ. Shot my Bear a few times this summer. Can still hit the target at 20.....But no robin hoods in my future..... ::)
Will be a nice journal entry when you shoot one this fall with traditional. Culmination of a lot of hard work.

Nice to hear from you, keep shooting that recurve, its fun; I don't look at it as hard work, enjoying it a lot. ;D

« Last Edit: Sep 17, 2013, 12:52:38 AM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #190 on: Sep 11, 2013, 09:02:33 PM »
Got the Martin Mamba in the mail today, less than 48 hrs after the auction ended. Really like it, just like new, pretty much a mini version of the Hunter, grip is the same. Shot it a few times with the factory string and arrows I have tuned for the 2 other Martins I've been shooting. Was putting them where I aimed at 15 yds even though the bareshafts were a little off, one was weak , the other stiff. Gonna wait till I get some custom strings made, thinking about trying BCY 8190 instead of the D-97 based on the string builders recommendation. Should get a little more speed, which I'm hoping will allow me to use the same arrows as the Hunter which is a little faster; might need a heavier tip and/or higher brace height to make them work. This shorter bow will be nice in the blind, will have plenty of time to get it set up and tuned for turkey season next Spring.

Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #191 on: Sep 12, 2013, 10:05:03 AM »
great looking bow, breaking mine out today I think, I am checking a cam that I plan to hunt opening morning of early season with the recurve before work, got a couple does coming between 7 and 10 am so with any luck ill get to see one specifically one with a huge scar on its right side
Take a Kid outside...

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #192 on: Sep 16, 2013, 09:39:19 PM »
Been shooting the Mamba a little, after twisting the factory string to get the brace at 7.5"(same as the Hunter) and changing out the rest to a calves hair one, I got the nock height set. For some reason the bare shafts that tune perfect for the Hunter are weak with the Mamba?? The only thing I could think might cause that would be the Mamba might have a slightly higher draw weight; got out the scale and they were both right at 45# drawn to 28". Not sure what else could cause it, the Hunter should be faster I would think. Anyway, I went and ordered a couple strings made with the 8190, supposed to really good stuff, strong and very stable. I wait till I get them and then tune.

Decided it was time to get my bag target re-covered, had the new one for a while; the arrows started bouncing out more and more. ::) Good thing I had some large pieces of cardboard saved. In the center there was a 21.5x21.5x3" box filled with burlap bags, it was shot so I made another box. The outside had another long piece of cardboard folded to keep it square, also shot. The rest of the stuffing was fine, so once I got the cardboard cut it was pretty straight forward; put the wooden bottom piece in and stapled it up. Came out just like new.

Took a while to get used to aiming at something other than the "black hole" in the center of the old target, but I think in the long run it will help my accuracy having a smaller spot to focus on. Plan on heading out with a couple judo points and doing some stump shooting in the woods; maybe some squirrels or chipmunks will be around, they make good small practice targets. ;)

Have to get some more arrows made up, got some more shafts in. Also need to try out the broadheads, 100 grain Stingers came in; decided I needed a new broahead target, too, arrows were going through the old one messing up the feathers. Went with another Morrell Yellow Jacket since the first one lasted 9 years. ;D
« Last Edit: Sep 16, 2013, 09:43:14 PM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #193 on: Sep 16, 2013, 09:48:31 PM »
I have a similar bag target, I just started "repairing" mine with yellow duct tape. Hopefully I can get it to last the winter. One of these days I'm going to get around to building a compressed cardboard target.

Offline hickgtx600f4

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #194 on: Sep 17, 2013, 07:58:13 AM »
The new cover turned out nice. I may have to do that with one of my old ones. I left it out one winter and now its shaped like a lumpy football. One shot and it tips over. Tried to put a 5 gal. Pail behind it and now I have a leaky bucket. Ooh well. Need some stuffing added to keep the arrows from burying to the fletchings.  8)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal