Author Topic: Nice Curves  (Read 119536 times)

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
Re: Nice (Re)Curves
« Reply #135 on: Apr 29, 2013, 08:37:25 AM »
I think helical fletching is a good idea, especially with fixed blade broadheads and shooting off the shelf. I'm also using 5" feathers, could probably get away with 4" but I'm not shooting far enough for it to matter and I'd rather have a little more forgiveness.

i tried to do a 4 feather fletch 4" on my wood arrows with heavy fixed blades, were slow and inaccurate, I refletched with 3 and whammo they were like a dart, its amazing how little adjustments mean the world with trad gear
Take a Kid outside...

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #136 on: Apr 29, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
Looks like I'm good to hunt turkeys with the recurve out of the blind at close range, 8-10 yds, with the small vitals. 8) Want to use the blind to be able to draw with them so close; had to fix a broken rod, so I decided to try shooting from it after the repair. Have plenty of clearance with the 60" bow shooting from my knees like I prefer when on the ground; no need to cant the bow like I thought I might(hadn't practiced that very much). Got a nice group, then tried shooting with the thin black gloves I use from the blind, no difference.

The only thing left to test now was broadhead flight and I wasn't waiting any longer; screwed two of the new 2 blade Buzzcuts on. All I did to "tune" was heat up the inserts and rotate the broadheads so the were in line with the string(vertical). The flew great and hit where I wanted, penetration into the target was pretty good, should have no problem killing a turkey or deer with this set up. 8)

Need to make up a few more green fletched arrows now and keep practicing.
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #137 on: Apr 30, 2013, 03:57:05 AM »

Looks real good ; For no sights no nothing  ;D ;D

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #138 on: Apr 30, 2013, 06:11:16 AM »
thats awesome! way to keep it up
Take a Kid outside...

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #139 on: May 12, 2013, 08:45:13 PM »
Got the new tab trimmed up nice and it doesn't take much to break the cordovan leather in. Been practicing alot with one arrow lately to simulate hunting, but I still shoot groups. Was shooting from 10 yds yesterday, released my last arrow and heard that sound and saw pieces of nock flying, my first recurve robin hood:

Not sure I'll try for a turkey again this year, their vitals are so small. I'll definitely be ready for deer this Fall. 8)
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #140 on: May 13, 2013, 04:16:18 AM »
 :o :o   That ah  (  BOY )   Jeff   :)  There is one heck of an accomplishment awesome job  ;D ;D

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #141 on: May 13, 2013, 11:51:14 AM »
Congrats on the hood capt

Offline peddler

• 10 Pointer
  • FREE DROBS
« Reply #142 on: May 13, 2013, 02:41:29 PM »
NICE !!!

Peddler  8) 8) 8)
Peddler

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #143 on: May 13, 2013, 08:26:30 PM »
Shot pretty good today, may have to try for a turkey again. Shooting one arrow at a time after I get a little sloppy with my groups is working good, concentration is really important and the single arrow helps to go slow: draw anchor, hold/aim, then release.

Forgot to post this, took it a while ago.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #144 on: May 24, 2013, 06:12:01 AM »
Trying to shoot as much as I can, every day if possible, find it tough to stop when I get into it, unlike my compounds. Some days things really click, yesterday was like that. I was only shooting one arrow at a time, seem to shoot better that way. I have been mostly shooting close range from my knees as practise for turkeys, but yesterday I started at 15 and  went back to a little over 20 yards. Shooting from a distance is really the best way to get better, it forces you to use good form and get a clean release; can also see the arrow in flight better. I tried from about 10 yds after and it was so easy in comparison. 8)

Want to start shooting my 45 lb Hunter but I need a good string. The guy that made the last ones is taking time off, so I need to find someone else; too bad, his are perfect.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #145 on: Jun 12, 2013, 02:19:15 PM »
Shot today, first time in a week with the rain. ??? Shot pretty good, used my broadhead target, its black and I noticed a little erratic flight with the white fletchings. So I tried a bareshaft, hadn't in quite a while, since I first tuned. I was getting a consistent slight nock left flight, every shot was the same. Which means my form is consistent now that I am used to the bow(could also be my draw length got a little longer as I've heard can happen at a heavier weight when you get used to it), but the arrows are still slightly weak, need to cut them a little more. I can take off at least another inch, shouldn't take that much, maybe 1/4 or 1/2". Should make the bow more forgiving and stop some of the left/right misses. Back to the arrow saw.

Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #146 on: Jun 18, 2013, 07:12:23 PM »
My Aunt is moving and has lots of stuff, my Dad mentioned my Uncle's(passed away 25 yrs ago) archery gear was in the basement., he said there were 2 bows. I hoped for a nice old recurve I could shoot but it turned out to be a much older longbow and an old fiberglass recurve kids target bow, 30#, but in great shape, even has the label.

The longbow is pretty stout, heavy limbs, the tips are either horn or maybe antler/bone.

Also got his leather quiver, with several wooden arrows, two arm guards, a finger glove, extra tips and nocks. My Aunt mentioned that he used to bowfish for carp with it before they met, found some fish points, too. My guess is the stuff is from the 50s or 40s even.

Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #147 on: Jun 18, 2013, 07:37:52 PM »
Shot today, first time in a week with the rain. ??? Shot pretty good, used my broadhead target, its black and I noticed a little erratic flight with the white fletchings. So I tried a bareshaft, hadn't in quite a while, since I first tuned. I was getting a consistent slight nock left flight, every shot was the same. Which means my form is consistent now that I am used to the bow(could also be my draw length got a little longer as I've heard can happen at a heavier weight when you get used to it), but the arrows are still slightly weak, need to cut them a little more. I can take off at least another inch, shouldn't take that much, maybe 1/4 or 1/2". Should make the bow more forgiving and stop some of the left/right misses. Back to the arrow saw.

Still not much time to shoot with work and rain. Tried the bareshaft again today before cutting anything, same consistent nock left flight indicating a weak arrow. Tried dropping from a 125 grain tip to a 85, and the arrow flew straight, confirming a weak arrow. Also getting a higher nock than I want so the nock point needs to come down. Should shoot better once I get it tuned good; thought I had it before but I was still getting used to the heavier weight and shooting off the shelf.

Hope to try some cutting tomorrow.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #148 on: Jun 19, 2013, 05:14:18 AM »
That is some cool old equipment..
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #149 on: Jun 19, 2013, 04:30:08 PM »
Got to cutting the arrows, what a difference a 1/2" makes. Started by taking 1/4" off, and the bareshaft was straighter, another 1/4" and it was flying straight into the target out to almost 20 yds. The nock is still a little high, took off the tied on nocks and put a brass one on so I can play with it a little; I'll wait a couple days and shoot it as is. I cut down a couple fletched shafts and they have more zip and fly like darts, makes my shooting look better, the left/right misses are pretty much gone. Still need to cut down another have dozen arrows: heat and pull the insert, cut then reinstall the insert. Its a pain but well worth it. 8)
Hybrid longbow in hand.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal