Author Topic: Nice Curves  (Read 119519 times)

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
Re: Nice (Re)Curves
« Reply #120 on: Apr 18, 2013, 08:32:20 PM »
Looking good JJ.....  Now shoot a turkey with it....   Oh that's right you all ready shot a bunch........ ;D   Do it with the stick and string and save the head for the beetles... Never did one of those... ;D
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #121 on: Apr 20, 2013, 07:33:46 PM »
Really liking this 40# bow, just have to make sure take my time and aim, tendency is to rush with the heavier weight to hold. Switched tips out to 125 grain from 100 for a little more FOC, I like the way they hit; arrows now weigh around 455 grains. Here's a nice group with the bare shaft added in:

Took the 45# Martin Hunter out of the plastic and strung it up, this bow looks good, wood is shedua with a strip of bubinga down the middle, highlights and limbs are hard maple. These bows are supposed to be pretty fast; brace height is lower and and its 2" longer than the green bow at 62"AMO. Got a great deal on this bow as a leftover on eBay. Need a FF string and then I can see what it likes for arrows, not in any hurry.

Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #122 on: Apr 21, 2013, 06:06:25 AM »
Some good stuff!!  Should be some feathers flying, both on the arrow and the turk soon!!

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #123 on: Apr 25, 2013, 08:48:11 AM »
Added some Bowjax to the string, not very 'traditional", but they really quiet the bow down; just need to add some calf hair strips where the string hits the limbs. Have some 125 grain Magnus Buzzcuts coming to see how they shoot/tune, should be fine; may need nock adjustment, then I will tie in a nock and take off the brass one. Shooting some arrows once or twice a day, tring not to overdo it; makes no sense to keep shooting with bad form, spraying arrows all over.

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2013, 08:49:30 AM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #124 on: Apr 25, 2013, 09:24:00 AM »
had my 42# Amarco bow out the other day, felt good to be shooting, need to do it more often to be perfect, even got my little guy to shoot (although he in noo way could pull it back far but at 3' he hit the target haha) still looking for a good short hunting bow
Take a Kid outside...

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #125 on: Apr 25, 2013, 05:04:41 PM »
The little things make all the difference when shooting a stick bow. I have been at a point where I wasn't improving much, could get good groups when I concentate, but it was a lot of work and then I still get poor releases and spry arrows around. The real key to a clean, consistent release is back tension, especially when you go up in weight. I watched this video on the rotational draw, which forces you to use the right back muscles, then went out and shot. What a difference in arrow flight rigth away, then my groups really tightened up when I got used to it and could think about aiming more. One thing that really helped was letting the string line up the bow as you drw, instead of forcing it with the bow hand; can't be relaxed when you do that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c8_-96h6BY

I'll be watching more videos, didn't think a coach could help that much with out being there; videos show so much more than a book can explain.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #126 on: Apr 25, 2013, 05:21:33 PM »
The little things make all the difference when shooting a stick bow. I have been at a point where I wasn't improving much, could get good groups when I concentate, but it was a lot of work and then I still get poor releases and spry arrows around. The real key to a clean, consistent release is back tension, especially when you go up in weight. I watched this video on the rotational draw, which forces you to use the right back muscles, then went out and shot. What a difference in arrow flight rigth away, then my groups really tightened up when I got used to it and could think about aiming more. One thing that really helped was letting the string line up the bow as you drw, instead of forcing it with the bow hand; can't be relaxed when you do that. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6c8_-96h6BY

I'll be watching more videos, didn't think a coach could help that much with out being there; videos show so much more than a book can explain.

thanks for the info!
Take a Kid outside...

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #127 on: Apr 25, 2013, 05:43:14 PM »

Sounds like they can be a very sensitive bow to shoot

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #128 on: Apr 27, 2013, 08:21:59 PM »
Getting used to the rotational draw and groups are showing the difference, getting tighter. Not sure if the improvement is from ensuring back muscles are being used, or from less torque on the bow by letting the string bring the bow onto the target instead of the bow hand; probably a combination of both.

Fletched up some more arrows, with green feathers this time for turkeys, they see white too well.

Gonna try shooting from the blind tomorrow, want to see how much room I have for the longer bow; might need to cant it.
« Last Edit: Apr 27, 2013, 08:22:42 PM by CAPTJJ »
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #129 on: Apr 28, 2013, 06:04:31 AM »

Love the color are they carbon's....

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #130 on: Apr 28, 2013, 04:16:04 PM »
I like the green, too; hope they bring me some Irish luck. ;D

Yes, they are carbons, that's what I prefer to hunt with, don't like the metallic clink of aluminums. These are the arrows I wanted to shoot, but a few people said they would be too stiff, other said try them. When the .600 spine aluminums were too weak after I cut them as much as I could, these .500 spine carbons made sense; they are really flying good now. I had 1/2 dozen that I bought on ebay for a great price, they have a nice dark "wood" grain; the newer ones are a bit lighter but shoot just as good. ;)

Started shooting the bare shafts a bit more the last couple days and decided the nock still needs to come down. Brought it down 1/16" or so a couple times, now I'm at 3/8" hight; bare shaft doesn't kick up when it hits the target anymore. Took the brass nock off and tied one above and below. Will have to see how the broadheads like it next, hopefully I won't have to re-tie.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #131 on: Apr 28, 2013, 05:50:50 PM »
The helical fletch help improve accuracy with the recurve ?

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #132 on: Apr 28, 2013, 07:51:54 PM »
The helical fletch help improve accuracy with the recurve ?

helped with mine  ;D
Take a Kid outside...

Offline hesseltine32

• 12 Pointer
  • Run and Gun
« Reply #133 on: Apr 28, 2013, 08:24:57 PM »
I fletch my arrows for my compound with a left helic

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #134 on: Apr 29, 2013, 08:16:32 AM »
I think helical fletching is a good idea, especially with fixed blade broadheads and shooting off the shelf. I'm also using 5" feathers, could probably get away with 4" but I'm not shooting far enough for it to matter and I'd rather have a little more forgiveness.
Hybrid longbow in hand.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal