Author Topic: Nice Curves  (Read 118847 times)

Offline Lundin-loading

• Spiked
Re: Nice (Re)Curves
« Reply #105 on: Oct 03, 2012, 02:10:15 PM »
Thats awesome! Some good looking bows too.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #106 on: Oct 03, 2012, 02:37:32 PM »
Great shooting Capt JJ.

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #107 on: Oct 03, 2012, 02:46:20 PM »
Short blood trail.....gotta love it!!!

Offline Chucker

• 12 Pointer
« Reply #108 on: Oct 03, 2012, 07:01:19 PM »
Nice head shot - that'll save your butt once the chipmunk zombie apocalypse arrives  ;)
I'm bound to stay where you sleep all day, Where they hung the jerk that invented work, in the Big Rock Candy Mountains.

Offline hickgtx600f4

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #109 on: Oct 03, 2012, 07:14:14 PM »
Nice shootin CaptJJ  ;) gotta love those tips. they do an awful job on a critter.

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #110 on: Oct 03, 2012, 07:28:43 PM »
wow now that is some good shooting......great shot.

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #111 on: Oct 03, 2012, 08:16:21 PM »
Nice head shot - that'll save your butt once the chipmunk zombie apocalypse arrives  ;)

HAHAHA agreed
Take a Kid outside...

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
    • Rod Bender Charters, Lake George, NY
« Reply #112 on: Oct 26, 2012, 07:48:52 PM »
Well the squirrels seem to know when I'm after them, when they see the bow in my hands. Not seeing many in the woods hunting, but they are all around my house: reds, greys and even one big black one that I want.

This one came up to check me out in a tree this morning:

Shooting mostly from 15 to 20yds now, out to 25 sometimes. Need to get the arrows tuned to the green bow still, have the arrow saw set up, just need to find time(tough during hunting season); maybe tomorrow afternoon before the weather hits. Want to get this done so I can practice all winter for turkeys in the Spring. Looking for somewhere indoors to shoot this winter, one friend has a couple large basements in his motel that will work nice for 15-20 yds, one is a shop he doesn't use much in winter; it's close, too. Making sure I practice regularly with the compound through the season, some years I get lazy/over-confident. I had practiced the afternoon I shot my bear this year and I'm glad I did that day, hit right where I aimed .

Here's a nice group at 20yds, usually get one flier but kept them all in there this time:
Its always archery season. >>>---------->
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #113 on: Oct 26, 2012, 07:50:57 PM »
awesome shooting and awesome pic of squirrel......go get em capt

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #114 on: Oct 26, 2012, 08:07:26 PM »
Nice shooting JJ...    We have a black one hanging around here....   In Michigan all I saw were black ones..
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: Apr 17, 2013, 12:29:58 PM »
Getting right back into it; shot a little here and there over the winter but hadn't shot much in two months, stuck with the compounds because of my turkey trip.

Got the itch and did some shooting Monday, was shooting pretty good with the light bow and decided to try the green 40# X-200. Stilll needed to tune the arrows for this bow, but it shot pretty good with any arrow, with some fishtailing; more importantly the weight was no problem and form was good. I started cutting down the Heritage 150s and had taken off 2.5", they were getting better, still showing weak, along with everything else except the really stiff arrows I use with my compounds.

Something else was wrong, had to be hitting the shelf; so I started raising the nock point and flight got better, now I am about 3/4" high and can get a bare shaft 150 pretty straight with perfect form(good thing I stopped cutting them). If anything the nock will come down a little and I can still cut up to an inch off the arrow to stiffen it. For now I'm going to fletch up a few arrows and cut them to match the bare shaft, then I can tune some more; might get to hunt turkeys with it at close range this Spring. 8)
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline jlaclair

• 12 Pointer
  • get closer to the woodland critters
« Reply #116 on: Apr 17, 2013, 07:36:45 PM »
Getting right back into it; shot a little here and there over the winter but hadn't shot much in two months, stuck with the compounds because of my turkey trip.

Got the itch and did some shooting Monday, was shooting pretty good with the light bow and decided to try the green 40# X-200. Stilll needed to tune the arrows for this bow, but it shot pretty good with any arrow, with some fishtailing; more importantly the weight was no problem and form was good. I started cutting down the Heritage 150s and had taken off 2.5", they were getting better, still showing weak, along with everything else except the really stiff arrows I use with my compounds.

Something else was wrong, had to be hitting the shelf; so I started raising the nock point and flight got better, now I am about 3/4" high and can get a bare shaft 150 pretty straight with perfect form(good thing I stopped cutting them). If anything the nock will come down a little and I can still cut up to an inch off the arrow to stiffen it. For now I'm going to fletch up a few arrows and cut them to match the bare shaft, then I can tune some more; might get to hunt turkeys with it at close range this Spring. 8)

sounds fun, im looking for a good deal on a kodiak magnum or some other short recurve
Take a Kid outside...

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: Apr 18, 2013, 11:17:59 AM »
Fletched up three arrows, need to see how they shoot when I get a chance; then I can work on the nock point and final tuning:
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline CAPTJJ

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
  • Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: Apr 18, 2013, 03:08:53 PM »
Really like the way this bow shoots, point and release and the arrow goes right there; and its so light: 1 3/4 lbs. Looks pretty close to tune, just going to keep shooting it for now. The heavier weight is definitely easier to shoot and get a clean release, with good form, of course.

The 30" arrows weigh in at 430 grains, and thump the target a lot more than the lighter bow/arrows; should be plenty for a turkey. That is with a 100 grain point, giving plenty of broadhead options. Hoping the same arrows will tune for the 45# bow that I want to hunt with in the Fall, may need to cut them a little.

First group from 10 yds:
Hybrid longbow in hand.

Offline Green Mountian Hunter

• 30 Point Buck
  • FREE DROBS !!!!
« Reply #119 on: Apr 18, 2013, 05:35:02 PM »
Way better than I could ever do with the old Re curve  , Give me my Compound  nice shooting       ;D ;D ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal