Author Topic: not a fan of grumpy old men  (Read 18540 times)

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
Re: not a fan of grumpy old men
« Reply #30 on: Sep 14, 2011, 08:05:46 AM »
I've got a little grumpy going on this morning. Got in the truck to go to work and "Click, Click", starter's dead  ::). Go to the honda that hadn't been driven in a few months, battery's dead  >:(. My blood pressure is going back down now. Couldn't even see the starter from the top of the engine to beat on it and didn't feel like crawling under it between a shower and work. If it's not raining tonight I'll know what I'll be doing. Figures that I just decided not to trade the truck in and drive it until it's not worth fixing  ::).

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #31 on: Sep 14, 2011, 08:09:44 AM »
That sucks...  I have to put pads and rotors on the front of mine this weekend....
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #32 on: Sep 14, 2011, 08:20:23 AM »
That sucks...  I have to put pads and rotors on the front of mine this weekend....

I did that last year. Nowhere in the Haynes book did it say I might have 1 ton breaks that have the rotor pressed and bolted on. After several minutes of beating one with a sledge hammer I looked at the back side and saw them  :o. Put it back together and took it to my mechanic, he busted three impact sockets getting them off. So glad I didn't try to do it at home.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #33 on: Sep 14, 2011, 09:05:36 AM »
That's too bad Steve, They don't make this crap for the average shade tree guy to be able to work on it anymore. I had a good Chevy comment but refrained due to your distress. ::)
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline Raquettedacker

• Cactus Buck
« Reply #34 on: Sep 14, 2011, 09:19:40 AM »
  I had a good Chevy comment but refrained due to your distress. ::)

Me to.... ::) ::) 8) 8) ;D ;D
"Dying is the easy part. Learning how to live is the hard part..."

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #35 on: Sep 14, 2011, 10:01:42 AM »
Vehicles just suck....some more than others.... 8)

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #36 on: Sep 14, 2011, 07:28:58 PM »
Finally got it done. Starter was crammed in a tight spot with no extra wire to maneuver it around. Thing must weigh ten pounds to boot. What did I do before Thermcells and cap lights? Got lucky too, they used two different starters on the same trucks, I guessed mine was the more expensive and of course I was right  ::).

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #37 on: Sep 14, 2011, 07:30:09 PM »
Finally got it done. Starter was crammed in a tight spot with no extra wire to maneuver it around. Thing must weigh ten pounds to boot. What did I do before Thermcells and cap lights? Got lucky too, they used two different starters on the same trucks, I guessed mine was the more expensive and of course I was right  ::).

Glad you got it going.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #38 on: Sep 14, 2011, 07:34:42 PM »
Thanks Bog. I didn't test to make sure the starter was actually dead, but I had plenty of battery and just a solenoid click. I figured I burned it up when the fuel pump died, yup. Next is the small gas leak I made changing the fuel pump  ::), not even dripping but I can smell it.

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #39 on: Sep 14, 2011, 07:36:19 PM »
Thanks Bog. I didn't test to make sure the starter was actually dead, but I had plenty of battery and just a solenoid click. I figured I burned it up when the fuel pump died, yup. Next is the small gas leak I made changing the fuel pump  ::), not even dripping but I can smell it.

The trouble is if gas can get out water may get in.

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #40 on: Sep 14, 2011, 07:54:37 PM »
I am not a grumpy old man  :o but i got a grump >:(  going on.....i went into herkimer today and was only suppose to be there for a few hours picking my neice up...got in my avalanche (be careful I love chevies  ;D ) and it would not turn over.....so i thought it was my starter....so i  had my niece turn the key after I hit the starter doohicky a few times.   we did this for over an hour.....anyways by  now i have no lights not an electrical part works on this  piece of $hit (at the moment only) and I figure I got to call AAA.  So I call and get someone and they ask all the stupid questions needed and say it is a 4 wheel drive and I tell them send a flat bed...you wont be towing it on the wheels....(they listened well)  I got 1 hour later a regular tow truck who says i can tow that just as a 2 wheel drive.....HECK no you can and wont (now blood pressure is over boiling) so I call again and AAA agrees and sends someone else out with this wheel tow thingie that they put under the front wheels and lift the back and just about off we go......except he wants to go the long way...Im ready to go the thruway and get this over with but NO not him we go the longest way back to the syracuse there is........anyways I get it home and tap starter again and no luck...neighbor comes over and says did you check the battery??? Now why would I do that??? So I test the battery and guess what....deader than a deer in the next 3 months.......All this and I could have gone across the highway and gotten a battery.....makes me grumpy old something anyways.....and chevy's rock.  I was there around 11 AM and just got home..............UGHHHHHH!  and I just needed a battery.

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #41 on: Sep 14, 2011, 08:17:32 PM »
That stinks Loonyone, we've all been there. Not to add salt to the wound, but if the alternator is still good all you needed was a jump. You could have driven 200 miles as long as you didn't shut it off.

Offline loonyone

• Non-typical 13 Pointer
« Reply #42 on: Sep 14, 2011, 08:19:17 PM »
That stinks Loonyone, we've all been there. Not to add salt to the wound, but if the alternator is still good all you needed was a jump. You could have driven 200 miles as long as you didn't shut it off.

ALTERNATOR WAS JUST FINE>>>>Man am I grumpy.....old.....but woman..........lol loony not happy >:( >:( >:(

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #43 on: Sep 14, 2011, 08:25:31 PM »
Next time you'll know, it's a learning experience. After my great day today it's a beer or two reading the forum and off to bed to forget today happened  ;).

Offline stka

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #44 on: Sep 14, 2011, 08:27:36 PM »
After a shower to get the truck and driveway off me. The girlfriend might not be to happy if she goes to bed and wakes up looking like she worked on the truck all night. especially on her new Realtree AP Sheets  :o.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal