Author Topic: Scent Strategy  (Read 1857 times)

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Forked
Scent Strategy
« on: Nov 07, 2018, 07:04:55 AM »
What's your scent strategy?

I have for years used 35mm film containers with holes drilled in them. Add a few cotton balls and applied scent.

What if anything do you do?

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
Re: Scent Strategy
« Reply #1 on: Nov 07, 2018, 11:17:52 AM »
The only thing I've ever had success with are scent drags. Put tinks on a rag and drag it the stand. I've put up scent drippers but find they only get visited at night or right at day break
icefishinman88 on the shanty

Offline SHaRPS

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Nov 07, 2018, 11:25:04 AM »
Rhode Island just banned natural deer scent. trying to avoid the spread of CWD so only artificial scents are now allowed.
Honor Respect Loyalty

Offline seags

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Nov 07, 2018, 02:27:23 PM »
Hi,
 Many years ago I used fox urine and I noticed mixed results.
Then I went with raccoon cover and it seemed just ok.
I am now more partial to earth cover scent and or rabbit urine.
There was a time when I went fox urine and doe pee (Tinks) in two different 35 mm canisters.
 I would set the doe pee canister about 15-18 yards from stand/blind and the fox about 10-12 feet away to the right of the doe pee canister (since I shoot left-handed). I would use a cutoff piece of an arrow which I taped the canisters on and marked my arrows with night-bright glow tape; so they where easy retrieval for me at night, and the way that I would mark my pee containers on the arrows is with 3 marks of glow/night tape for the doe pee and four marks of the fox pee; which meant for me is 3 for pee and 4 for fox and when I would stop hunting for that late afternoon/evening I would take my pee sticks and put those in my quiver.
 I have heard about using skunk cover but it seems too alarming to me, but I have also heard/read another way of using skunk cover was after you leave your vehicle to take a cotton swab and dip it into the skunk cover and drop it near your vehicle to cover up any gas/oil smells.
 I still like the baking soda for washing your clothes theory. 
 I hope this works for you.     

Offline ActiveTrapChecker

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Nov 07, 2018, 03:20:28 PM »
All great tips, thanks for sharing!

Franz123

« Reply #5 on: Nov 26, 2018, 10:39:19 PM »
Hi,
 Many years ago I used fox urine and I noticed mixed results.
Then I went with raccoon cover and it seemed just ok.
I am now more partial to earth cover scent and or rabbit urine.
There was a time when I went fox urine and doe pee (Tinks) in two different 35 mm canisters.
 I would set the doe pee canister about 15-18 yards from stand/blind and the fox about 10-12 feet away to the right of the doe pee canister (since I shoot left-handed). I would use a cutoff piece of an arrow which I taped the canisters on and marked my arrows with night-bright glow tape; so they where easy retrieval for me at night, and the way that I would mark my pee containers on the arrows is with 3 marks of glow/night tape for the doe pee and four marks of the fox pee; which meant for me is 3 for pee and 4 for fox and when I would stop hunting for that late afternoon/evening I would take my pee sticks and put those in my quiver.
 I have heard about using skunk cover but it seems too alarming to me, but I have also heard/read another way of using skunk cover was after you leave your vehicle to take a cotton swab and dip it into the skunk cover and drop it near your vehicle to cover up any gas/oil smells.
 I still like the baking soda for washing your clothes theory. 
 I hope this works for you.   

thank you for sharing your tip. It's quite strategic and helpful. :)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal