Hunting by Game/Technique > Turkey Hunting

patterning my new 870

(1/7) > >>

MBrown4:
hello all! first post on MHF. Used ice shanty for a few years and decided to join myfishfinder and myhuntingforum. might as well ya know. well onto my topic. just got a new 870 turkey/predator and ive started patterning with Winchester supreme 3"
1300 fps #5 shot with the wingmaster hd choke that came with it. at 25, dead bird but at 45 that tom wont feel a bee sting. So after researching i saw many people like the undertaker tube and its an affordable price for a college student so i got one of those. shot it today and at 25 its tighter but back to 45 and its not much better. Just wondering what load others recommend i try before i ditch this tube. i was debating the winchester extended range but man is that pricey if it turns out to be garbage in this gun. any help is appreciated guys. MB4   

upstatehunter:
You might want to try downsizing your shells....I have an870 express super mag. Thing will shoot 3" and3 1/2" OK....out to 30 or so yards...but put a load of Remington Express 2 3/4 number 4's through it and it is deadly out to 50....I think the shorter barrel on the 870 hurts it with high magnum loads....

bogmanjr:
Don't be afraid to try a few different brands of shells. It may like federals or Remington's better. I didn't have good luck with the undertaker in my Wife's 20ga.
Switched to an Indian Creek black diamond for this season. Didn't the gun come with an xtra full choke? Maybe HD is high density IDK ? That should work fine if you can find the shell it like's. I am told the hevi shot is good stuff too but have not tried it.

Welcome aboard too.  ;D

stka:
Welcome to the site MBrown4. If you have any family or friends who turkey hunt ask them if they have shells they don't use. Most everyone goes through a few different ones before they find the one the gun likes. Then they end up with half a box of shells they don't use.

redace:
Ive always had the best luck with just the stock remington extra full turkey choke in all my remingtons.Try some differant brands of shells and shot sizes.They make a big differance.I like fioochi 2oz number 5s out of mine..My bennelli super black eagle wont shoot winchester 3 1/2 s for crap but is deadly with 3 winchesters..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version