Author Topic: Squirrel Recipe  (Read 5467 times)

Offline bobberstop

• 6 Pointer
Squirrel Recipe
« on: Aug 24, 2004, 02:24:25 PM »
This one is great

Cider Squirrels Southern Style

4 lg Squirrels (gray, fox, or black), or 2 rabbits
Flour
Salt and pepper
1/4 ts Powdered sage
1/4 ts Powdered rosemary
3 tb Bacon or sausage fat
1 qt Dry cider
4 tb Butter
1 c Heavy cream

Skin, eviscerate, and disjoint the squirrels, making sure to remove the small scent sacs from beneath the forelegs. If these glands are not removed, a bitter taste will be imparted to the dish. Soak the pieces for one hour in cold water to which 1 teaspoon salt has been added. Remove, drain, and pat dry.
Roll the pieces in flour seasoned with salt, pepper, sage and rosemary. (Prepared poultry seasoning is a good substitute.) Heat the bacon fat in a deep skillet and brown the squirrel pieces on all sides. Add the cider and simmer until the meat is alnost tender. Remove the cover and continue cooking until the meat is tender and most of the liquid absorbed. Remove the squirrel pieces and put aside to cool. Reserve any pan liquids for the gravy.

Roll the squirrel in the seasoned flour again, heat the butter in another skillet, and rebrown the squirrel until golden and crisp. Put the squirrel pieces on a heated platter, and keep warm, while you add all juices and scrapings to the skillet. Make a paste of a tablespoon of flour and the heavy cream. Pour this slowly into the pan juices, stirring constantly, until the sauce is smooth, hot, and slightly thick. Ladle the gravy over the squirrel pieces and serve.

Bobberstop

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Offline bobberstop

• 6 Pointer
Re: Squirrel Recipe
« Reply #1 on: Aug 24, 2004, 02:37:37 PM »
Another good recipe

Squirrel Casserole Fours

4 Squirrel; quartered
4 Ham slices; very thin
4 md Onions; thinly sliced
4 Carrots; thinly sliced
4 lg Potatoes; thinly sliced
4 sl Bacon
4 oz Apple cider
4 oz Applejack
4 tb Flour
Salt and pepper
Water

Rub the squirrels with salt and pepper. In the bottom of an earthenware casserole with a tight lid, arrange the slices of ham, then a layer of squirrel, then a layer of onion, a layer of carrot, and a layer of potato. Continue building up layers, seasoning each with salt and pepper until casserole is filled. Arrange slices of bacon across the top. Add the cider and applejack. Place the lid on the casserole and seal it with a paste made of flour and water. Place the casserole in a 250-degree oven for 3 hours. 

Bobberstop

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Ice Fishing @ www.iceshanty.com Fishing @ www.myfishfinder.com Hunting @ www.myhuntingforum.com

Offline venisonman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2004, 02:43:09 PM »
Bobberstop,

Where are exactly are these scent sacks located?

I've never hunted squirrel before. Our season opens Sept 1 and my son will be hunting his first season. We will definately be honing his outdoor, stalking and field dressing skills on squirrel. As well as my cooking skills!
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

Offline bobberstop

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Aug 24, 2004, 02:47:11 PM »
They are located in the arm pit area. They usually come off with skin but check to make sure.  Ron
Bobberstop

Offline venisonman

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Aug 24, 2004, 05:08:19 PM »
Thanks, Ron
Genesis 9:2 The fear and dread of you will fall upon all the beasts of the earth and the birds of the air, upon every creature that moves along the ground, and upon all the fish of the sea, they are given into your hands.

Offline Hoppes

• Nubbie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2004, 09:13:25 AM »
These two recipes sound great.  Hunted bear and deer with a buddy from Virginia here in Maine and he had some great stories squirrel hunting with his friends.  We're talking men in their 30s/40s here.  Every year they would do a float trip for squirrels and good fun.  We have some nice fat squirrels up here and I think I'll harvest a couple with the boys and try one of your recipes.  Some of my best game recipes have come off sites like Scott's.  Thanks for posting.
Hoppes

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 07, 2005, 06:50:19 PM »
i use this site for recipes.
http://www.backwoodsbound.com/recipe.html

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal