Author Topic: Best hunting?  (Read 13407 times)

Offline Terrygonefishing

• Forked
Best hunting?
« on: Apr 22, 2005, 11:15:56 PM »
BC has the best hunting and fishing in the world. I'm surprised there are no posts here. Any BCers out there that like to hunt???

Offline MoosemanKris

• 6 Pointer
  • Tight Lines ans Straight Shooting
    • Silvertip Archers
Re: Best hunting?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2005, 06:50:27 PM »
I'm here dude it's just a dead board I guess. Wait till hunting season! Gonna go for a bow-season elk.....could be interesting!
Bagged to date:
9 grouse
6 squirrels
1 MIA Rabbitt

Offline fly-in

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Jun 13, 2005, 04:53:29 PM »
where do you go for elk? they don't have a large range I would imagine in BC.

Offline Terrygonefishing

• Forked
« Reply #3 on: Jun 19, 2005, 06:00:37 AM »
Lots of elk all over our beautiful province ;D

buzzbomb

« Reply #4 on: Jun 19, 2005, 12:25:43 PM »
You actually have to be careful not to hit them on the highway.   There's tons of them.

Offline Terrygonefishing

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Jun 21, 2005, 11:12:31 PM »
Thats mostly in the park by Jasper. But yes lots of them ;)

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Aug 05, 2005, 12:21:59 PM »
Yeah there are tons of them, I saw alot when I was up there, tons of stone sheep too, all I can say is, BC is awesome, I really like the rockies, but its just the gun laws and stuff that I am not up there.  I love my freedom.

MASTERGUIDE

buzzbomb

« Reply #7 on: Aug 07, 2005, 12:40:06 PM »
Thats mostly in the park by Jasper. But yes lots of them ;)
He's asking about B.C. , Terr..............   I  had to stop for several herds to cross on the #3 just east of the Okanagan in the spring so I think it depends on the time of year. 

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Aug 07, 2005, 01:37:23 PM »
I saw some nice heards of buffalo when I was up there, they were all tagged, so I wasn't sure if you guys hunted them alot?

MASTERGUIDE

buzzbomb

« Reply #9 on: Aug 07, 2005, 08:08:39 PM »
Those are on buffalo farms, sorry.  Actually, I'm related to Buffalo Bill, so I thought it was kind of funny.   There's game farms where you can go and shoot a buffalo, but I think it's easier and cheaper to buy the sucker cut and wrapped.  It's gotten really cheap now... used to cost $5 Cdn / lb. but now if you buy a side or a quarter it's probably about $2.50 / lb.  Low fat, low cholestorol,  ;D

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Aug 08, 2005, 12:58:17 AM »
They weren't fenced in at all, do they just run wild and loose, because they were by the road, right in with the caribou and moose, I don't know they just seemed wild, but they didn't seem to care much about cars either?  That would be cool though if they were wild.

MASTERGUIDE

buzzbomb

« Reply #11 on: Aug 08, 2005, 07:34:00 AM »
My God, it sounds like you drove through the zoo! :D If there were buffalo, caribou, and moose all hanging out together unfenced I'd guess it was in some kind of park. Since caribou are migratory herd animals and live way up north as a rule is it possible that you were seeing young elk? There's elk ranches, buffalo ranches, fallow deer ranches, etc (no moose being raised domestically that I know of) that raised them for the up-scale food market but they've taken a beating due to CWD scares and the farmers sell the meat at extremely low prices if you can go pick it up.   Except for the canned hunts I mentioned in the previous post there's no 'buffalo season'.  There are often cases where animals escape from game farms.  That happens to wild boars the most it seems, and they become a bonus for deer hunters in some places.  No matter what the species, the critters with the ear tags are usually on some farmer's inventory. ;D
« Last Edit: Aug 08, 2005, 07:53:15 AM by buzzbomb »

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Aug 08, 2005, 12:51:20 PM »
Ok, I believe you, but it was not a park, completely wild, these buffalo went on for miles thousands of buffalo, span over every few hundred yards for 50-60 miles then more scarce in the next 50-60 miles, they were crossing the road, feeding in the ditches, etc.  And the elk had to be wild, they didn't have ear tags, and they were skiddish, they were also very large.  I only saw about 13 elk,  The elk and "buffalo" ranges overlaped, and the moose were more northern, with the caribou, and the stone sheep were in the mountains, we saw only a few moose, and a million stone sheep.  The moose were huge, the elk were huge, and the caribou were mainly young caribou, and one or two older ones.  I don't know what else to say, I saw it all.  I have it on video.  But I can see how the buffalo would be captive, because of the eartags, and I believe you because you live there. 

MASTERGUIDE

Offline tk10fire

• 6 Pointer
  • I love stick and string
« Reply #13 on: Aug 14, 2005, 05:33:42 PM »
Where were you there MG sounds like a very impressive place to me. I thought that Shockey had taken a wild buffalo too, so I also though some where out there you could do a buffalo hunt.
OH TO BE A FIELD

Offline MASTERGUIDE

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Aug 15, 2005, 12:03:11 AM »
I was on a "highway" Alaskan highway I think, but it was in the northern part going through the rocky mountains, I am taking a program through an outfitter up there, and he does buffalo hunts, but he didn't say whether they were wild buffalo or not, but yes, Northern BC is VERY IMPRESSIVE.  It had the most diverse populations of everything, and there was alot of everything, and awesome scenery to go along with it.  Along the way I stopped at some hot springs, and wow, that was nice, crystal clear water, hotter than hot, like a hot tub, diff temps up and down the creek, and it was free.  It was some great relaxation, it is a must for anyone traveling through up there, at the time I was on my way to Alaska, so I got to see it all, and as far as Canada goes, northern BC was some of the best.

MASTERGUIDE

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal