Author Topic: last day of the archery season big score !!!  (Read 6841 times)

Offline turkey nuts

• Forked
last day of the archery season big score !!!
« on: Dec 19, 2009, 12:23:42 PM »
well i have been hunting with my oldest brother since i was old enough to handle a firearm safely (about 30 years now ) he has taught me allot through the years and also taught his son the same ..my nephew has had a very diverse hunting career here in new Hampshire .been through allot the first deer he ever took aim at was a nine pointer that he made a decent hit on ..at the age of 13 .after tracking a very good blood trail with the assistance of my brother they approached 2 out of state guys dressing the deer and they took it from him ..and later realizing what a crappy thing they had done sent him the rack ..but he didn't give up ....
  later in the years i believe he was now 19 years old it was a Saturday and he had to work till noon me my brother and 2 others were out doing some drive and Chris got out of work .stopped at a local sporting goods store got his license and came to join us..
on the very first drive he scored shooting a button buck .he was back at the sporting goods store within 4 hours checking in his deer .the next day a knock on the door was F&G checking out a tip of an illegal deer tagging he was relentlessly interrogated for 3 hours in the truck ..apparently the clerk at the store thought is was suspicious for him to have harvested a deer that quickly .and suspected he licensed up to tag a deer that someone else shot and didn't want to tag ..NOT AT ALL THE CASE ..but he still stuck with his beliefs and hunted hard for many years now ..taking quite a few deer
  well anyway he did tag out with his firearm early taking a nice doe with his muzzleloader and then he was nice enough to loan it to a good friend as he didn't have one to hunt with.
 my nephew continued his season with the bow as the early season was fruitless with little activity in his areas ..well he had a few opportunities with the bow seeing quite a few deer from his stands with a few missed deer .its now the last day of archery season here in new Hampshire ..and he is still hunting hard he hits the stand after getting out of work early ..
 its a Field stand that has been quite active in later part of the season .
in the stand and two does appear and he draws after calculating the yardage in his head and releases only to see his arrow sail over the back of the doe ..the deer don't spook but walk steadily to the woodline as he sits and watches his probable last opportunity walk away ..
within minutes it happens a monster appears its him !! the man of the area the very man my brother had seen 2 weeks earlier and could not get off a shot ..the very same monster they have captures 2 years earlier on a trail camera ..and at 19 yards my nephew threaded an arrow through this beast !!!being this late in the season the buck had obviously been a busy boy and was run down only weighing in at 163 lbs but the rack is amazing for the area we hunt .incredible mass palmation and sporting 10 points .he was an 11 with a broken brow tine..
my brother takes great pride every time me and my nephew score in the woods .i have seen it in his face many times .. and when they walked up on this bruiser in the dark after tracking him in the dark I'm sure the glow of pride from my brother lit up the woods !!!
 congratulations Richard (my brother) for giving us the morals and ethics as well as knowledge to evolve into good sportsmen...
 and congratulations to my nephew Chris Gagne !!! there is not a sportsman in the woods that has been through the trials you have making it so difficult to wonder if hunting was the right thing to be a part of .and i for 1 am glad you were strong enough to stand by your morals that have been a part of the Gagne family for many generations...
 on his way to check in the buck at wildlife he was approached by a gentleman who stated he was the president of the new Hampshire trophy skull club and he stated to Chris that the buck is indeed a trophy and he expressed great interest in possibly measuring the antlers .he also stated that he believes the buck is in the 160 inch class ..
 thanks for taking the time to read my story and if you are interested in seeing pictures they are up at wildlife and I'm more than sure the next addition of the hawkeye will be also showing them ...!!!!!!!!!

what a great last day of season !!!!!!!!!

Offline marcus

• 6 Pointer
Re: last day of the archery season big score !!!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2009, 06:22:10 PM »
awesome   tell him congrats   and way to stick with it through some serious b.s 8)

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2009, 06:48:42 PM »
As someone once said, it's not the resolve of a man, but a man that resolves to endure any hardship to succeed.  Congrats to your nephew and give him a pat on the back from all of us. Get some pictures up here so we all can drool!!!

Offline Issiah

• 12 Pointer
    • Hunting, Fishing and Trapping New York
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2009, 06:57:12 PM »
That's Great    Sounds like it couldn't have happened to a better person!

Offline bogmanjr

• 30 Point Buck
  • Amigo
« Reply #4 on: Dec 20, 2009, 05:25:32 AM »
Great story Turkey nuts, Congratulations Chris on a great deer.
" Those who forge their guns into plows will plow for those who did not " Thomas Jefferson.

Offline longbeardking

• Forked
« Reply #5 on: Dec 20, 2009, 06:41:17 AM »
well i have been hunting with my oldest brother since i was old enough to handle a firearm safely (about 30 years now ) he has taught me allot through the years and also taught his son the same ..my nephew has had a very diverse hunting career here in new Hampshire .been through allot the first deer he ever took aim at was a nine pointer that he made a decent hit on ..at the age of 13 .after tracking a very good blood trail with the assistance of my brother they approached 2 out of state guys dressing the deer and they took it from him ..and later realizing what a crappy thing they had done sent him the rack ..but he didn't give up ....
  later in the years i believe he was now 19 years old it was a Saturday and he had to work till noon me my brother and 2 others were out doing some drive and Chris got out of work .stopped at a local sporting goods store got his license and came to join us..
on the very first drive he scored shooting a button buck .he was back at the sporting goods store within 4 hours checking in his deer .the next day a knock on the door was F&G checking out a tip of an illegal deer tagging he was relentlessly interrogated for 3 hours in the truck ..apparently the clerk at the store thought is was suspicious for him to have harvested a deer that quickly .and suspected he licensed up to tag a deer that someone else shot and didn't want to tag ..NOT AT ALL THE CASE ..but he still stuck with his beliefs and hunted hard for many years now ..taking quite a few deer
  well anyway he did tag out with his firearm early taking a nice doe with his muzzleloader and then he was nice enough to loan it to a good friend as he didn't have one to hunt with.
 my nephew continued his season with the bow as the early season was fruitless with little activity in his areas ..well he had a few opportunities with the bow seeing quite a few deer from his stands with a few missed deer .its now the last day of archery season here in new Hampshire ..and he is still hunting hard he hits the stand after getting out of work early ..
 its a Field stand that has been quite active in later part of the season .
in the stand and two does appear and he draws after calculating the yardage in his head and releases only to see his arrow sail over the back of the doe ..the deer don't spook but walk steadily to the woodline as he sits and watches his probable last opportunity walk away ..
within minutes it happens a monster appears its him !! the man of the area the very man my brother had seen 2 weeks earlier and could not get off a shot ..the very same monster they have captures 2 years earlier on a trail camera ..and at 19 yards my nephew threaded an arrow through this beast !!!being this late in the season the buck had obviously been a busy boy and was run down only weighing in at 163 lbs but the rack is amazing for the area we hunt .incredible mass palmation and sporting 10 points .he was an 11 with a broken brow tine..
my brother takes great pride every time me and my nephew score in the woods .i have seen it in his face many times .. and when they walked up on this bruiser in the dark after tracking him in the dark I'm sure the glow of pride from my brother lit up the woods !!!
 congratulations Richard (my brother) for giving us the morals and ethics as well as knowledge to evolve into good sportsmen...
 and congratulations to my nephew Chris Gagne !!! there is not a sportsman in the woods that has been through the trials you have making it so difficult to wonder if hunting was the right thing to be a part of .and i for 1 am glad you were strong enough to stand by your morals that have been a part of the Gagne family for many generations...
 on his way to check in the buck at wildlife he was approached by a gentleman who stated he was the president of the new Hampshire trophy skull club and he stated to Chris that the buck is indeed a trophy and he expressed great interest in possibly measuring the antlers .he also stated that he believes the buck is in the 160 inch class ..
 thanks for taking the time to read my story and if you are interested in seeing pictures they are up at wildlife and I'm more than sure the next addition of the hawkeye will be also showing them ...!!!!!!!!!

what a great last day of season !!!!!!!!!

What a great story. Unfortunatly that's the way NH F&G officers do their job. They should take lessons fro CO'c of other states that do their jobs with a little professionalism. I also would not spend time OR money in the gunshop that called the F&G with nothing but a hunch. You should post the name of the establishment so I for one, could boycott.

Congratulations, Chris, on a fine hunt. Sounds like you had a GREAT mentor.

Offline turkey nuts

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Dec 20, 2009, 03:05:03 PM »
thanks guys
  i'll try and post up some pics when i get them its a real cocker for down here ....

Offline buckblaster

• 10 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Dec 20, 2009, 06:04:08 PM »
Congratulations.Well deserved sounds like hes been through some tough times good to hear he stuck it out.
icefishinman88 on the shanty

Offline james

• Forked
« Reply #8 on: Dec 23, 2009, 09:03:32 AM »
congrats to your nephew Bob :) its great to hear he persevered through all of that.

Offline turkey nuts

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Dec 23, 2009, 06:27:23 PM »
thanks again guys
  well the buck wasn't quite the 160 buck orriginally thought to be but still a very impressivr 148 and 5/5 th after being scored green last night !!

Offline upstatehunter

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #10 on: Dec 25, 2009, 11:46:14 AM »
Any animal that puts a smile on the hunters face is a trophy! I hope you and the family are smiling for a long time. He sounds like quite a guy and so are you for being there for him. Good job all around.

Offline bassranger

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Dec 30, 2009, 09:08:47 AM »
I have seen pics of this deer. The thing is a monster. I am friends with the guy who Chris loaned his muzzleloader to. I don't know Chris but, from what I can tell he deserved this deer. He also gave the meat from the buck, to my buddy who he loaned the muzzleloader to, because he was unable to fill his tags this year and chris had already gotten one.

Offline drobertsinMaryland

• 30 Point Buck
« Reply #12 on: Dec 30, 2009, 03:12:43 PM »
Congrats to Chris and from what everyone has said he definately deserved that buck. I would like to see some pics  though since I am a sucker for some big racks. ;D

Offline jimsmith

• Forked
« Reply #13 on: Dec 30, 2009, 03:36:42 PM »
Great story great job not getting down aftre the miss what a turn of events if he didnt miss he would of never got the oppertunity to harvest a great buck.

Offline turkey nuts

• Forked
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2010, 11:30:34 AM »
I have seen pics of this deer. The thing is a monster. I am friends with the guy who Chris loaned his muzzleloader to. I don't know Chris but, from what I can tell he deserved this deer. He also gave the meat from the buck, to my buddy who he loaned the muzzleloader to, because he was unable to fill his tags this year and chris had already gotten one.
really i didn't know that bassranger you know brian ?he is also a great kid !!!i have know brian for years ..yes it is true chris did hook brian up with some venison ..i do have some pics but my scanner is not working right now..brian has been hunting with us also since he has been hunting

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal