Author Topic: Archery Season is almost here!!!  (Read 13598 times)

Offline PA_BOWHUNTER

• 6 Pointer
  • Jigwiggler doesn't really apply here.
Archery Season is almost here!!!
« on: Sep 25, 2004, 01:30:18 PM »
One week to go!  Who's ready and has one all lined up?  I'm going to be doing a lot of last minute scouting this week.  I planned on getting out much more in the pre-season but time did not allow.  I have 5 stands hung but several may need fine tuning in regards to placement depending on what I see this week.

Offline PA_BOWHUNTER

• 6 Pointer
Re: Archery Season is almost here!!!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 01, 2004, 04:52:56 PM »
 :oTomorrow is the big day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

My son and I got out for a little scouting last night.  Things are looking good!  While checking on one of my favorite stands we crested a knoll for find 5 buck already in the field.  2 of them where going at it like I've never seen buck fight this time of year, very aggressive!!  Every so often a 3rd smaller buck would try to get into the mix just to get run off again.  Anyway, my boy thought that was pretty cool ( so did I ;D).  Saw alot of deer, many good bucks.  Weather is supposed to cool off even more next week.  Things are looking good! 
« Last Edit: Oct 01, 2004, 05:00:54 PM by PA_BOWHUNTER »

Offline PA_BOWHUNTER

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 05, 2004, 01:13:56 PM »
Well the season is upon us!!!!  Who got out and got or saw what?  I had the opportunity to take a large doe but passed due to the torential rains taking place at that time. :-\  Saw several buck but none were very close.  I suprised a few hunters who were thinking of trespassing, one of which was going to use my stand until confronted.  Needless to say all that activity in the woods didn't help the number of deer sighted but soon the woods will settle down and the deer will return to normal.

Offline fastribs85

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2004, 12:01:09 AM »
well opening day 2 doe within 5 yards gone monday 3 standing at my stand when i got to it gone wendsday 3 tails in the woods gone saturday 1 small doe missed low nock keeps moving had a little one still in spots under the stand big doe hit but used the wrong pin flesh wound and the little one with spots next to me taking the climber off the tree gone
what do i have to do to get one jeez makes me upset to have aninjured deer and not kill it :-\ but have learned muc better to sit up in the tree like i did today for the first time but have to get better at shooting from it maybe after work on monday i can get a shot at one maybe a buck but who knows ???

Offline fastribs85

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2004, 12:02:14 AM »
oh yea forgot saw 2 jakes about 20 yards away maybe a spot for the spring turkey sitting in a tree with the bow ya never know

Offline PA_BOWHUNTER

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2004, 07:50:27 AM »
At least your having some action fastribs.  Shooting from an elevated position can be difficult.  Practice shooting from your stand and remember when shooting at a downward angle always bend at the waist.  Good luck, you'll bag one yet.

Offline fastribs85

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2004, 09:39:29 PM »
thnks got the problem with the nock fixed i love vice grips and am gonna try right after work on monday hopefully i will have one ill just have to remember to aim a hair higher that was my big problem but man i hated only wounding that deer saw lots of blood but the more i followed it with my uncle the less we saw probably went after it to soon thats all ill give her about ten to fifteen next time before i start tracking

Offline PA_BOWHUNTER

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #7 on: Oct 11, 2004, 11:42:42 AM »
fastribs, unless its pouring down rain or snow give a deer 30-60 minutes before tracking a leathal shot, if it's a questionable hit wait at LEAST 6 hours.  You don't want to jump a wounded deer.

Offline fastribs85

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2004, 10:11:32 PM »
thanks i like to give 15 to 30 before but my uncle was right after it as soon as he heard me shoot could hear the arrow and the  deer crashing threw the sticks and me and my brother talkin can get out later this week havent been able to all last week no car  :( :'(

Offline PA_BOWHUNTER

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Oct 18, 2004, 03:57:30 PM »
Well I took a break from the archery routine to smoke a big doe with the muzzelloader.  Will probably try to take another this week then back to looking for the big buck! ;D

Offline fastribs85

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2004, 09:55:39 PM »
congrats still pushing for either one
then ill take a little break

Offline PA_BOWHUNTER

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Oct 25, 2004, 09:09:18 AM »
Well I took the smokepole out again on Fri. looking for another doe.  A yearling doe and button buck showed up early and hung out for most of the evening munching some apples.  About 1/2 hr. before before sunset the deer started filtering into my area.  I saw 8 doe feeding off in the brush but decided to wait until they came closer for a clean shot on the biggest one.  Well wouldn't you know it 3 buck show up and cruise by at 15 yards in the wide open (a 4 pt., a decent 7 point and a nice 8 point) and there I sit with my muzzelloader and doe tag in hand. ::)  I would have taken a shot at the big 8 if I'd had my bow.  Then the bigger ofthe two took off after the doe and ran them into a nearby field where they continued to chased them around until dark.  A few big doe came by pretty close but with the bucks on their trail I didn't want to shoot one and spook the bucks.  Good news is some promising action for the remaining weeks of archery season.  I'll hang onto my doe tags until rifle and flintlock season now since this is the time to bag a nice buck!

Offline fastribs85

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #12 on: Nov 03, 2004, 11:02:59 PM »
hey when does the rut start to pick up in the state and what is the easiest way of holding your bow in your stand as you climb the tree because yesterday i let my bow down and the rope like i always do and a big doe ran as i started down with the climber :-\

Offline PA_BOWHUNTER

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Nov 06, 2004, 07:00:43 AM »
hey when does the rut start to pick up in the state and what is the easiest way of holding your bow in your stand as you climb the tree because yesterday i let my bow down and the rope like i always do and a big doe ran as i started down with the climber :-\

The rut is in full swing right now!!  Get out there man!  I've seen buck chasing like crazy for the last week and 1/2.  Some good ones too. 

I think you're doing the right thing by letting the bow down first.  Climbing with your bow is a bad idea and a good way to damage your equipment or yourself. :-\  Just be sure to check out the surrounding area well for deer activity before descending.  Deer movement is so erratic this time of year you can't help but get caught once in a while.

Offline fastribs85

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #14 on: Nov 08, 2004, 10:26:38 PM »
yeah ive seen some nice buck down here near the parks but havent seen any deer lately hunting gonna keep pushing this last week im thinking about welding a bracket onto the side of my stand to hold the bow so i dont get busted any ideas on useing any calls suck as a doe bleat or a grunt tube cause i have a tube i can adjust to like 6 or 7 settings

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal