Author Topic: Spotting Fields  (Read 5377 times)

Offline chillywillie

• 6 Pointer
  • Buxton, Maine
Spotting Fields
« on: Aug 16, 2006, 08:07:02 AM »
Does anyone go out at night spotting fields to see how many deer are around?  I went out the other night and saw 12 in a couple fields I check around my house.

Offline ifishhi

• Forked
Re: Spotting Fields
« Reply #1 on: Aug 16, 2006, 10:38:08 AM »
i try to get out, it's a good way for the kids to see some too. i see more moose around here than deer

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Aug 16, 2006, 10:39:50 AM »
i try to get out, it's a good way for the kids to see some too. i see more moose around here than deer

i envy you for the moose, we have nothing around here like that :'(
but i agree, the kids love spotting, especially on these warm nights.

Offline Out4Trout

• 8 Pointer
  • Out4Bucks in November
« Reply #3 on: Aug 16, 2006, 12:39:10 PM »
I haven't been out, I don't see a many as I used to. You have to be careful though, It's illegal to shine the fields after Sept. 1st.

From the law book:

7. Illegal use of lights. From September 1 to December 15, it is unlawful to use artificial lights from 1/2 hour after sunset until 1/2 hour before sunrise to illuminate, jack, locate, attempt to locate or show up wild animals or wild birds except raccoons which may be hunted at night with electric flashlights during the open season. 

A friend of mine a few years back was getting ready to leave from his neighbors house, and they got talking in the yard while he was setting his truck with the lights shining the field across the road. A warden happened to drive by and gave him a bit of a lecture about it. It was a good thing he didn't have a gun in his truck. This was during November.

Offline cdc

• Forked
« Reply #4 on: Sep 06, 2006, 05:55:17 PM »
I spot on my way into work....at 1:30am there out there thick. Have seen some good size does and one real nice buck.

Offline Out4Trout

• 8 Pointer
  • Out4Bucks in November
« Reply #5 on: Sep 06, 2006, 06:23:06 PM »
I spot on my way into work....at 1:30am there out there thick. Have seen some good size does and one real nice buck.

I'm sure at that time in the morning there are quite a few out, and as the weather gets colder they will be out even more.  8)

It's funny how deer are though, I had a spell a month or so ago where a doe and fawn were coming out down back fairly regular, but haven't seen them in a while. Monday afternoon I was getting out some firewood, and about a half an hour after I got back at my house the doe and fawn were nosing around at the edge of the woods were I had just been. You never know where they're going to be next.  :-\  But I do know that hunting season is comming.  ;D

Offline HuntFishSled

• Forked
« Reply #6 on: Sep 08, 2006, 04:49:26 PM »

You do realize spotting season is over I hope?

Offline CROWKILLER

• 6 Pointer
  • Kill um - n - Grill um
« Reply #7 on: Sep 08, 2006, 04:50:19 PM »
you have a season for spotting deer ?  why

Offline cdc

• Forked
« Reply #8 on: Sep 08, 2006, 05:02:12 PM »
You do realize spotting season is over I hope?

Sure do.

Offline HuntFishSled

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Sep 09, 2006, 08:26:00 AM »
you have a season for spotting deer ?  why

Illuminating Wildlife:  From September 1 to December 15, it is unlawful to use artificial lights from 1/2 hour after sunset until 1/2 hour before sunrise to illuminate, jack locate, attempt to locate or show up wild animals or wild birds, except raccoons.

I suppose it's to help curb and control night hunting. If it were legal I could only imagine how many people would do thier "scouting" for bucks at night.

Offline HuntFishSled

• Forked
« Reply #10 on: Sep 09, 2006, 08:26:57 AM »
Sure do.

Just didn't want you to get nabbed. Some people aren't aware of the law.  :)

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Sep 13, 2006, 12:05:59 PM »
Just didn't want you to get nabbed. Some people aren't aware of the law.  :)

you have a season for spotting?

we just have laws in NY that if your spotting you cannot have a gun or bow in the car, unless the gun is locked in the trunk without ammo and the bow is unstrung, and i have heard of strings being cut, not sure about the truth? but i wouldnt cut a bow string.

Offline fshnfool

• 6 Pointer
  • ssssssshhhh....I'm hunting wwwabbit
« Reply #12 on: Sep 13, 2006, 12:42:04 PM »
you have a season for spotting? 

it's more of a "season you CAN'T go spotting" than a season FOR spotting. They'll hang you out to dry if you're caught spotting with a gun or bow after sept. 1st
~Scott~

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #13 on: Sep 13, 2006, 01:14:11 PM »

it's more of a "season you CAN'T go spotting" than a season FOR spotting. They'll hang you out to dry if you're caught spotting with a gun or bow after sept. 1st

wow, is it just during deer season that you cannot spot?

Offline fshnfool

• 6 Pointer
  • ssssssshhhh....I'm hunting wwwabbit
« Reply #14 on: Sep 13, 2006, 01:37:43 PM »

this is straight from the law book.   The hunting seasons (bow,firearms and black powder combined) run from sept. 9th thru dec. 9th. So basically a week before until a week after.

Illuminating Wildlife:  From September 1 to December 15, it is unlawful to use artificial lights from 1/2 hour after sunset until 1/2 hour before sunrise to illuminate, jack locate, attempt to locate or show up wild animals or wild birds, except raccoons.

~Scott~

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal