Author Topic: moose lottery to be drawn next week!  (Read 5250 times)

Offline killditrite

• Forked
moose lottery to be drawn next week!
« on: Jun 07, 2006, 05:02:01 AM »
Moose Lottery Is June 15 at Scarborough Downs Clubhouse

The annual lottery attracts hundreds of hopeful hunters, anxious to see if they will be one of 2,895 selected from a pool of over 70,000 people who will get the chance at the hunt of a lifetime.

AUGUSTA, Maine – Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife Commissioner, Roland “Dan” Martin announced today the Annual Moose Lottery will be held on Thursday, June 15 at the Scarborough Downs Club House in Scarborough.

“At 5:30 p.m., we will commence the drawing and announce the name of the first hunter fortunate enough to be selected,” said Martin.

Since 1999, the Department has rotated the lottery throughout the state. Previously, it was held only in Augusta. This is the second time it is held in southern Maine. Previous lotteries were held in Millinocket, Wiscassett, Old Town, Bucksport, Scarborough, Presque Isle, and Rumford.

"We've moved the drawing to all parts of the state so that people can have the opportunity to be part of it first hand," stated Commissioner Martin.  "Nothing pleases us more than to have members in the audience react to being selected," he said.

This year, 2,895 names will be drawn in the random chance lottery. Last year over 70,000 people applied to hunt moose in Maine.

Martin said that staff from IF&W including local biologists and game wardens will be on hand.   

“This is an opportunity for sports enthusiasts and the general public to interact with IF&W personnel," said Martin

Admission to the event is free. In the past, the event has lasted approximately 3-4 hours.

Offline oldfox

• Spiked
  • Jerry
Re: moose lottery to be drawn next week!
« Reply #1 on: Jun 08, 2006, 05:01:09 AM »
Also, the online any deer lottery is open at http://www.informe.org/ifw/nedeer/

Offline Out4Trout

• 8 Pointer
  • Out4Bucks in November
« Reply #2 on: Jun 08, 2006, 11:27:31 AM »
Thanks for the heads up Old Fox, I just applied. I'm after a buck, but the doe permit is good insurance.  ;)

Offline oldfox

• Spiked
  • Jerry
« Reply #3 on: Jun 14, 2006, 11:46:01 AM »
Tomorrow is June 15th...the date of the moose drawing....just wanted to wish good luck to all those that entered! .... ;D

Offline oldfox

• Spiked
  • Jerry
« Reply #4 on: Jun 16, 2006, 04:31:08 AM »
Tomorrow is June 15th...the date of the moose drawing....just wanted to wish good luck to all those that entered! .... ;D

Looks like I got lucky and got a bull permit for this season!....I hope there are more guys on the forum that were lucky also...  ;D

Offline Out4Trout

• 8 Pointer
  • Out4Bucks in November
« Reply #5 on: Jun 16, 2006, 06:18:21 AM »
Way to go old fox!  8) You will definitely have some meat for the hardwater season now. Do you have a spot all picked out?

I checked the list - nobody in my family on there, but did see a few people I know. I've been lucky enough to go in years past, so I guess it's time for someone else to have a turn.  ;D

Again, great news old fox. Congrats!

Offline oldfox

• Spiked
  • Jerry
« Reply #6 on: Jun 16, 2006, 08:02:40 AM »
Way to go old fox!  8) You will definitely have some meat for the hardwater season now. Do you have a spot all picked out?

I checked the list - nobody in my family on there, but did see a few people I know. I've been lucky enough to go in years past, so I guess it's time for someone else to have a turn.  ;D

Again, great news old fox. Congrats!

Thanks Out4Trout...I'll probably stay at Haymock....I am fairly familar with the area, as I have hunted partridge in that area....this will be the first time moose hunting...

Offline killditrite

• Forked
« Reply #7 on: Aug 17, 2006, 08:27:46 AM »
congrats jerry!! glad to hear you we're chosen and wish you good luck!! do you plan on calling them? ill bet loveice would give up a couple of tips for ya!!

Offline ifishhi

• Forked
« Reply #8 on: Aug 17, 2006, 08:32:29 AM »
shoot it as close to the road as you can and bring lots of rope ;)

Offline archbishop

• 8 Pointer
« Reply #9 on: Aug 17, 2006, 08:44:35 AM »

or a winch with alot of cable ;D

man it must be awsome knowing your getting an opportunity to shoot a moose.

Offline ifishhi

• Forked
« Reply #10 on: Aug 17, 2006, 09:15:14 AM »
when i drag them out sometimes i need to get the right angle so i would wrap around trees. the rope wont hurt the trees. the cable will get it if trees aren't needed

Offline oldfox

• Spiked
  • Jerry
« Reply #11 on: Aug 17, 2006, 11:36:44 AM »
congrats jerry!! glad to hear you we're chosen and wish you good luck!! do you plan on calling them? ill bet loveice would give up a couple of tips for ya!!

Thanks Scott, son in law and myself are going, along with a few "observers"....went up this last weekend and scouted around some...lots of signs...

Offline oldfox

• Spiked
  • Jerry
« Reply #12 on: Aug 17, 2006, 11:38:46 AM »

Son in law has been before, so I'm getting a bunch of info....will be fun...hopefully the moose will cooperate  ;D

Offline oldfox

• Spiked
  • Jerry
« Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2006, 11:40:45 AM »
or a winch with alot of cable ;D

man it must be awsome knowing your getting an opportunity to shoot a moose.

we have 1200 feet of cable and a few snach blocks, and lots of rope...that should do the trick....of course the ATV will be with us also...

Offline HuntFishSled

• Forked
« Reply #14 on: Aug 23, 2006, 03:22:14 PM »
I got the opportunity to go this year. Just got married in February and my wife has 10 & 14 year old boys. They've never been exposed to hunting or firearms. So after applying for a permit for the last 25 years with no success guess who gets drawn? My 14 year old stepson!! He was surprised as he didn't even know I had entered him.

Now I've got to get busy teaching him to shoot along with gun safety. Going to be interesting. Imaging the first animal you take aim at being a moose!! I started out with squirrels.  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal