Author Topic: First Gobbler of the Season  (Read 3582 times)

Offline fshnfool

• 6 Pointer
  • ssssssshhhh....I'm hunting wwwabbit
First Gobbler of the Season
« on: Mar 24, 2006, 12:18:10 PM »
I was outside getting the newspaper this morning and heard a tom gobble about 4 times from the woods across the street from my house....I guess it's time to go out scouting for a place to set up!! Also had 5 deer just after dusk playing around in the field one night this week. I spooked em when the door shut, but they never left the field....just scurried to the far corner. Sure sign of spring....flock of geese headed north over my shop about noon today.
« Last Edit: Mar 24, 2006, 12:21:33 PM by fshnfool »
~Scott~

Offline Out4Trout

• 8 Pointer
  • Out4Bucks in November
Re: First Gobbler of the Season
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28, 2006, 06:06:22 AM »
Had some turkeys on my lawn yesterday, I think they are out early this year due to lack of snow.

There were these two Toms and three Jakes all puffed up earlier, but I didn't catch that one on film.

Offline devil-man

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #2 on: Mar 28, 2006, 07:34:42 PM »
Great pics! That gets my blood boiling!!!
It's easier to escape from a chain gang than a food chain...

Offline Cargo

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2006, 12:23:32 AM »
Out4Trout,
                  Great pic's. Do you feed them? or do they just show up?

Offline Out4Trout

• 8 Pointer
  • Out4Bucks in November
« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2006, 06:12:45 AM »
They just show up. I used to have deer come out around my house, but now only turkeys. I think the coyotes have done a number on the deer herd. Plus I've had people tell me that if you have a lot of turkeys around, the deer will move out. I don't know if there's any truth to that, but it seems to be the case here.  ???

Offline fshnfool

• 6 Pointer
  • ssssssshhhh....I'm hunting wwwabbit
« Reply #5 on: Mar 29, 2006, 07:02:18 AM »
those ARE great pics...haven't seen em yet, but last spring there was a flock of about a dozen hens that roamed the field across from my house...tried taking pics, but they were a little too far to get a good one...that's great you've got em coming right up close...and without even feeding em... :o
~Scott~

Offline Cargo

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29, 2006, 09:41:53 PM »
out4Trout,
                Do you hunt or trap the Coyote? I have never heard about Turkeys in and Deer out. Out west I see the Turkeys right with the deer.
                It looks like the Gobblers are in full strut, are they pretty heated up?

Offline Out4Trout

• 8 Pointer
  • Out4Bucks in November
« Reply #7 on: Mar 30, 2006, 08:55:21 PM »
out4Trout,
                Do you hunt or trap the Coyote? I have never heard about Turkeys in and Deer out. Out west I see the Turkeys right with the deer.
                It looks like the Gobblers are in full strut, are they pretty heated up?

I haven't taken the time to hunt or trap any coyote, but I have shot some in the field behind my house during the day in years past. I have heard them yiping at night, but not yet this year. The turkeys are gobbling and are in full strut. Their heads are all blue and white. We still have another month to go before the season starts here.

Offline Cargo

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #8 on: Apr 02, 2006, 11:10:42 PM »
Season opens April 8th for me. Looking forward to giving this Turkey hunting a try. Bought some calls have all the camo i need. Going to try for a while with the bow. If that does not work I'll pick up the old shotgun.

Offline ifishhi

• Forked
« Reply #9 on: Apr 06, 2006, 06:07:47 AM »
give'm hell

Offline devil-man

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #10 on: Apr 27, 2006, 06:17:42 AM »
Plus I've had people tell me that if you have a lot of turkeys around, the deer will move out.
I have seen deer and turkeys within yards of each other in this area. You would think coyote predation would affect the turkey population just as much (if not more) than the deer.  ???
It's easier to escape from a chain gang than a food chain...

Offline the wizard

• 6 Pointer
« Reply #11 on: Apr 28, 2006, 05:06:29 PM »
I've seen them together many times, I've had deer come to me while making turkey calls in the spring.
    I saw a home video one time where deer and turkies were feeding in a field together and a hen walked right through the legs of a deer and the deer didn't even twitch or flinch , it acted like nothing happened.
   I told my buddy he should send it in to one of the outdoor shows he might get something for it.
      >>>>--------> 2014 Venison Villans

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal